GO FLY A KITE !! Just wondering if you could fly a kite from the ship ?

planooldfamily

We've got an aft cabin booked on the Ruby and wondered if we could fly a kite from the balcony ? A few years ago we were eating dinner in the Main Dining Room and had a table by the aft windows. We saw a kite flying from the ship. Has anyone else done this - and if so do you have any hints for us ? I wonder if it would work best at port or at sea ? I know my kids would love it. Any suggestions ? Thanks !

We've got 3 families traveling together in separate cabins. Any suggestions on how to leave messages for one another ? Do you slide notes under the door, use walkie-talkies, etc. One ship we have been on had a magazine holder type box hanging outside each door - and we were able to place messages there. Does anyone know if the Ruby has that ? If you leave a message on their cabin's voice mail, can they retrieve the message from another phone on board - or do they have to go back to their cabin to hear the message ? Any suggestions would be great !

We've got 3 families traveling together in separate cabins. Any suggestions on how to leave messages for one another ? Do you slide notes under the door, use walkie-talkies, etc. One ship we have been on had a magazine holder type box hanging outside each door - and we were able to place messages there. Does anyone know if the Ruby has that ? If you leave a message on their cabin's voice mail, can they retrieve the message from another phone on board - or do they have to go back to their cabin to hear the message ? Any suggestions would be great !

There is a mailbox outside the door. :)

I would say a little off topic:rolleyes:

I have seen people fishing from there balconies so why not?? :eek:

Tell me you're joking. Please. And do tell...was it while the ship was moving, or docked? It must have been off of a Caribe or Dolphin deck balcony...can't imagine casting from a covered balcony.

Really, I've always wanted to fly a kite off a moving ship, but DH said it would be impossible and probably wasn't allowed even if it was. So, for once, I deferred to his judgement. I did do it once, in Auckland, when the ship was docked, off the very back. It was marginally successful. Wind currents do funky things when they hit an object as big as a stationary ship.

Tell me you're joking. Please. And do tell...was it while the ship was moving, or docked? It must have been off of a Caribe or Dolphin deck balcony...can't imagine casting from a covered balcony.

Really, I've always wanted to fly a kite off a moving ship, but DH said it would be impossible and probably wasn't allowed even if it was. So, for once, I deferred to his judgement. I did do it once, in Auckland, when the ship was docked, off the very back. It was marginally successful. Wind currents do funky things when they hit an object as big as a stationary ship.

Not me!!!

thumbnail.aspx?q=640381363048&id=7caba6be433707ec23a78c7d0aa34ddc

I don't profess to be an expert on flying kites off cruise ships, however just this morning I read an article in a local newspaper about kite flying in heavy wind. Based on that article, I would suspect that if a ship was travelling at 20 knots into a wind of say 10 knots so that the wind speed across the deck was 30 knots...it would tear most kites apart.:(

Now that is funny. How about we are doing 20knots into the wind and they are flying a kite off the fan tail.

Jack

for

The wind might interfere w/ kite flying but should have no effect on the Bat-signal.

Robin

I'm pretty sure it's not allowed nowadays, but I've seen it done in the past - many years ago. But then again, they also allowed skeet-shooting off the back of the ship then, too! :)

Archived