Is this dark enough to be formal?

I've been reading some men's attire threads today.. but I figure it'll just be easier to post a picture and ask.. Is what my husband is wearing in this picture dark enough for formal night? (It's his only outfit that could possibly pass for formal hehe he's a computer programmer and they get to wear whatever they want at work, and we don't go to many formals..)

So can he get away with wearing that for both formal nights (and try to jazz it up with a different tie or whatever... or should we just rent a tux ?)

stephformalish.jpg.3da69ebaaada18abad928cf99bc8b343.jpg

He looks nice to me! My hubby is an engineer and we had to buy him a new sports jacket, not a suit, because his other two sports jackets had been left 'out' and the cats slept on them! Two dry cleanings and the fur was still there. Needless to say, formal is not his think either. So he will be wearing a sports jacket with pants rather than a suit. I think he will look fabulous as does your husband.

Oooh I didn't think of lighter pants!! (Yes this is his only jacket hehe)

Shoudl he wear the black pants and jacket (like in the picture) for one formal night, and beige pants and that jacket for the other formal night? Or both nights the same beige pants and jacket with different ties maybe?

It's going to be kind of nice to see him all dressed up two nights in a week. Nice change from the gamer t-shirts and jeans he wears at work hehe.

I've been reading some men's attire threads today.. but I figure it'll just be easier to post a picture and ask.. Is what my husband is wearing in this picture dark enough for formal night? (It's his only outfit that could possibly pass for formal hehe he's a computer programmer and they get to wear whatever they want at work, and we don't go to many formals..)

So can he get away with wearing that for both formal nights (and try to jazz it up with a different tie or whatever... or should we just rent a tux ?)

It's not quite just being a matter of dark enough that makes something formal. What your husband is wearing is not formal. That being said, you will see MANY men dressed and he won't look out of place if that's your concern.

What are you going to be wearing...possibly what you have on in the picture? Is it short or long? You DID mention the possiblity of renting a tux.;) If you are wearing something long, it always looks nice, and IMO better, when the couple matches....... by matching I mean, formal, casual, etc.

:)

He can rent a tux through the ship which will be waiting for him and includes 2 shirts. Will save on packing for him as well.:)

Your husband is definitely not dressed formally and no it's not dark enough to look even remotely formal. That said, can he "get away" with the jacket and pants you're showing us? Yes, he can.

Personally, instead of renting him a tuxedo, how about buying him one dark suit that he can have for cruises, weddings, and other occasions? Every man should have at least one suit in his wardrobe. It won't go out of style.

I disagree with the option of getting him lighter colored pants. That would make him look even more casually dressed, and you'll never match the color.

The reason that I don't want to go and purchase a new suit right now, is because we're both mid-weight loss journey. We have both lost 100lbs so far (he started at 400lbs, I at 350lbs). We HAD lost 130lbs but we've both been having a really hard time re-committing since the holidays and gained some back :( . After our cruise though it's time to stop with the excuses and lose again.

So if we bought him a new suit right now, most likely it would be too big by the time another formal occasion rolls around...

This cruise that we're going on in a week (our first ever trip south - we're in Canada), we in fact won it in a local 'biggest loser' style weight-loss competition :) I can hardly wait and I hope we'll have a blast, but I can hardly picture us being able to afford another cruise like this in the near future..but never know right :)

PS - This is really a special trip for us.. so the last thing I want is for us to feel inferior, or sub par because of our not formal enough attire... so if we have to rent a tux I would much rather do that than regret not...

I will possibly be wearing the dress in the picture, but I'm still undecided. I have 3 other dresses to chose from for formal nights, and a ton of cute dresses for regular nights. They are all knee length...

PS - This is really a special trip for us.. so the last thing I want is for us to feel inferior, or sub par because of our not formal enough attire... so if we have to rent a tux I would much rather do that than regret not...

I will possibly be wearing the dress in the picture, but I'm still undecided. I have 3 other dresses to chose from for formal nights, and a ton of cute dresses for regular nights. They are all knee length...

If it really special occasion for you, I say go all out and rent the tux, especially if you are going to be wearing a fancy dress like the one you are wearing in the picture! :)

PS...we want to see the other dresses, too. :D

Weeellll, I feel a bit weird showing this to a bunch of 'strangers'.. but on the other hand I'm stressed about what to wear on the cruise, so maybe you all can help hehe. A couple of weeks or so ago I took a bunch of pictures of some clothes that my mom could borrow for when my parents go on vacation (in an all inclusive) in April..

It was a snowstorm day, I had no make up, my hair was a mess, and after a while I was tired of cropping out my messy bedroom, and towards the end I was tired of changing so I would wear something and hold 2 up LOL

But here is the link... Hopefully you can figure out what to wear when!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazymrsnancy/sets/72157614345679732/

Oh yeah.. and the first pic is just me showing my mom my new haircut, and ignore the soup pictures haha. The last picture is also a joke, I took a picture in my African dress (that I got in Cameroon in 2000 when volunteering after college, she would never borrow that I was just being silly hehe)

Congratulations to both of you!

I agree, if you think it will be awhile until you can cruise again and this is going to be a special trip, then make it special rent and the tux. IMO, every man in a tux looks fab. Yes. it was easy to figure out which of your dresses are dressier and you'll look lovely on DH's arm in any of them.:)

Hey, I've been known to wear soup... but not on purpose! :cool:

I love the black dress with the halter neckline. Very pretty on you! But my fave is the one you are wearing in your first picture. Beautiful color. :)

For casual nights, I like the one you are wearing in this pic best:

I love your new haircut, very cute! And a big congratulations on your weight loss to date :)

The last thing I would want to do is hurt anyone's feelings and at the same time, I feel that sometimes a strangers opinion can help more than a close friend. I feel like you are asking for honest opinions and not smoke blown up the wazoo like I read at times here on CC Fashion Board.

First off, I think you need to rethink the type of straps on your dresses, a halter top is accentuating your arms. If you want sleeveless a wider shoulder strap would look far better, a bit of a sleeve may even be a good thing for you. Then, the necklines that are rounded are making you look heavier than you really are, a deep V is more flattering to almost every woman. Finally, I think you need to bring the hemline down a bit, look closely and objectively at the back of your knees in the pictures you posted. Just a bit of length can make your legs look slimmer and more shapely.

My favorite pics (for you, I have no idea what your mother looks like) would be the black dress with the deep V, if you can have it lengthened about 2-3 inches. The black patterned dress, 4th row down looks better than some of the others, I'd add a splash of color with a necklace and great shoes.

Put the pictures of the black V neck dress and the halter top next to each other, I think you will see what I mean. The halter top makes you look broader on top, both front and back.

Please take the criticism as constructive and friendly. I know when I go shopping for a dress I'll ask the salesperson I trust and also my husband, who is very honest with me. I also feel that taking pictures of yourself (even with no hair and makeup) is a great way to see yourself as others will be seeing you from different angles. I'm no skinny minnie myself, but I try my best to dress to flatter my positives and hide my negatives. Play up the best parts you have.

You are a lovely young woman and you deserve to look beautiful.

All the best to you!

I love your new haircut, very cute! And a big congratulations on your weight loss to date :)

The last thing I would want to do is hurt anyone's feelings and at the same time, I feel that sometimes a strangers opinion can help more than a close friend. I feel like you are asking for honest opinions and not smoke blown up the wazoo like I read at times here on CC Fashion Board.

First off, I think you need to rethink the type of straps on your dresses, a halter top is accentuating your arms. If you want sleeveless a wider shoulder strap would look far better, a bit of a sleeve may even be a good thing for you. Then, the necklines that are rounded are making you look heavier than you really are, a deep V is more flattering to almost every woman. Finally, I think you need to bring the hemline down a bit, look closely and objectively at the back of your knees in the pictures you posted. Just a bit of length can make your legs look slimmer and more shapely.

My favorite pics (for you, I have no idea what your mother looks like) would be the black dress with the deep V, if you can have it lengthened about 2-3 inches. The black patterned dress, 4th row down looks better than some of the others, I'd add a splash of color with a necklace and great shoes.

Put the pictures of the black V neck dress and the halter top next to each other, I think you will see what I mean. The halter top makes you look broader on top, both front and back.

Please take the criticism as constructive and friendly. I know when I go shopping for a dress I'll ask the salesperson I trust and also my husband, who is very honest with me. I also feel that taking pictures of yourself (even with no hair and makeup) is a great way to see yourself as others will be seeing you from different angles. I'm no skinny minnie myself, but I try my best to dress to flatter my positives and hide my negatives. Play up the best parts you have.

You are a lovely young woman and you deserve to look beautiful.

All the best to you!

Thanks Happy KS...

Honestly, I had zero things to wear until I stumbled upon a crazy sale at my favorite store and score all these dresses at 5$-7$-10$ each... Now I'm really starting to feel self conscious about the dresses and DH's only jaket/dress pants... Like I said this was a free cruise (and flights) that we won and otherwise we could never afford this...

I don't want to look like 'that couple' that can't dress either... So now I'm thinking either I go look for more dresses ASAP (we leave in a week!) and rent DH a tux and cancel the excursions we pre-reserved, OR maybe we should keep the excursions but cancel our late seating at dinner and only go eat in the buffet ? (would these clothes be appropriate in the buffet room?)

Thanks Happy KS...

Honestly, I had zero things to wear until I stumbled upon a crazy sale at my favorite store and score all these dresses at 5$-7$-10$ each... Now I'm really starting to feel self conscious about the dresses and DH's only jaket/dress pants... Like I said this was a free cruise (and flights) that we won and otherwise we could never afford this...

I don't want to look like 'that couple' that can't dress either... So now I'm thinking either I go look for more dresses ASAP (we leave in a week!) and rent DH a tux and cancel the excursions we pre-reserved, OR maybe we should keep the excursions but cancel our late seating at dinner and only go eat in the buffet ? (would these clothes be appropriate in the buffet room?)

Absolutely do not cancel your dinner plans!!!! Even after what I wrote, if this is what you have, wear it and feel good about yourself. Just keep in mind for future clothing purchases to look at all angles of your body.

I'm almost wondering if those thicker halter straps could be adapted and sewn to the back of the dress??? It could change the look. Or, pick up a little shrug to wear over the halter straps.

BTW, I'm always looking for great bargains myself.

Edit to add, just wait until you get onto that cruise ship, you will see every body configuration, interpretation of formal and casual clothing that you can possibly imagine. Most cruise ships are not filled with just "beautiful people" the majority there are pretty much average folks. You will have a ball!

Honestly that's one of the reasons we chose Princess... (we had a travel voucher amount..) because I had read that there were more young people on carnival.. we're only 29 but we're very shy and self conscious people and thought that we would enjoy ourselves more on a ship that has less beautiful college students in bikinis and speedos and more adult people. We're not big partyers, and DH has always been too self conscious to go in a pool in public.

But who knows... it's near march break and the ship might be full with beautiful skinny people hehe. We'll see I guess.

Archived