Do you have your nails painted before the cruise?

Ok,Miss Larissa,

Warning TMI ahead....My Mom had to have some toenails removed,b/c of ingrown issues.She just paints her skin now.Sorry about the toenail mishaps,but you ROCK running a marathon! Just paint your skin,I dont think ppl will be looking that close. And if they do...Move chairs!lol.:p

Lol... thanks for the advice! I'll have to paint the skin and see how it looks. My husband thinks I'm just looking for excuses to buy more shoes, but I swear that's not the case! :)

• 1 month later...
I get pedicures year round, generally some shade of pink, and I always try to go the day before I leave on any vacation.

My fingernails I do myself because the color never lasts more than a couple days so I'm constantly redoing or retouching. Always a neutral shade.

I'm having a dilemma for my upcoming cruise though, because [warning, TMI ahead...] several of my toenails fell off during my last marathon, and now my feet aren't looking so hot, and a pedicure isn't really an option. A friend suggested I just paint the skin... I don't know about that. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to invest in some more closed-toed shoes.

Sigh.

I run as well (though NOT a marathon - have only recently mastered a 5K!) and have dealt with the same problem. I have painted just the skin and it looked just fine. The girl giving the pedicure also said that you can have acrylics put on your toes! This was a first for me! Since it was the day before my cruise and it was only one of the smaller toes we opted to paint the nail bed and it looked just fine.

Oh - fyi - I agree with all posters who said that they disliked french pedicures. I so want to hand them a pair of clippers to clip their nails.......lol.....

I'm having a dilemma for my upcoming cruise though, because [warning, TMI ahead...] several of my toenails fell off during my last marathon, and now my feet aren't looking so hot, and a pedicure isn't really an option. A friend suggested I just paint the skin... I don't know about that. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to invest in some more closed-toed shoes.

Sigh.

I have the same problem. After years of dancing and running, and just crappy toes in general, I've lost several toenails. I discovered Kiss toenails at Walgreens for $6.99. They go on so easily and they stay on! I bring extras on the cruise with me, but I don't need them. I get so many compliments on my toes, and people don't believe me when I tell then they're fake!

As to the original question, since I'm using fake toenails, I HAVE to paint them. Usually a red or pink, sometimes purple or coral. Last cruise I did a deep purple color that matched one of my dresses exactly. I always have my fingernails done too. I have long natural nails, and I don't like the way neutral colors look on them. I also go with reds and pinks mostly. I do my own nails. I'm embarrassed to get my toes done, and my fingernails grow so fast that I'm continually redoing them.

I have the same problem. After years of dancing and running, and just crappy toes in general, I've lost several toenails. I discovered Kiss toenails at Walgreens for $6.99. They go on so easily and they stay on! I bring extras on the cruise with me, but I don't need them. I get so many compliments on my toes, and people don't believe me when I tell then they're fake!

As to the original question, since I'm using fake toenails, I HAVE to paint them. Usually a red or pink, sometimes purple or coral. Last cruise I did a deep purple color that matched one of my dresses exactly. I always have my fingernails done too. I have long natural nails, and I don't like the way neutral colors look on them. I also go with reds and pinks mostly. I do my own nails. I'm embarrassed to get my toes done, and my fingernails grow so fast that I'm continually redoing them.

Wow, I did not even know they made such a thing!

My nails are normally long in the winter months and shorter in the summer months due to yard work, etc. Before every vacation, I go to a nail salon and have designs painted on all my fingernails. I've had palm trees, parrots, hibicus flowers and a wild design painted on over the years. People always complement me on my nails. Sally Beauty store has a top coat fast dry that I use over the polish job once I get home and my nails grow out before the polish does. As far as my toenails. Can't, I've had nail fungus for over 10 years and the nails are distorted so if they were painted, it still would look disgusting. (to me anyway):(

I wear OPI Tutti Fruiti Tonga on my nails (pearly pinky color, very pale) and a Red, red, red color on my toes!! I also get peds year round because I have such a problem with my feet and callouses building up. They do a better job of keeping them off than I can!

have to get my pedi/mani next wednesday because we leave next Friday for Ft. Lauderdale!!

I personally can not stand seeing someones fingers and especially toes have fingernail polish on them. I just don't like the look of color there. I will never have color on mine again. LOL I couldn't stand the look.

When I do my nails, I will only go as far as a white french tip.

I was wondering if you do get your nails done, how do you decide on the color? Do you go with one color the whole cruise and match your clothes to that color? Do you stay with that one color and just forget about matching your clothes? Or do you pack several colors and paint them yourself during the trip?

I have painted toenails all year long. I don't feel like my feet look right without them. I paint them right before I go and bring the bottle for touchups in case I need it. I painted my finger nails last time but I don't do it as often. Seems like it chips more easily and they are always seen.

To answer your other question. I use the same color throughout. I think last time it was orange. I don't care if it matches most of my outfits, except formal. I had on a long formal for one night so you couldn't see my toes anyway. I wore hose and closed toed shoes with the other dress so you couldn't see them.

I keep my toenails painted, either a deep red, brown, bornze, and I just bought my first pinkish shade. We'll see how that looks. Never really been a pink gal...looks good on others but me? I dunno.

My job is very hands on, and I have tried painted nails a couple times. Not good. So I keep them natural and right before a cruise I will paint them. (if I remember;))

I'm currently wearing OPI's Boris and Natasha on my toes and Have You Seen My Limo on my fingernails. I was just debating what colours to use for Alaska, not that my feet are going to see too many sandals :) I've had a pedicure once on a ship on embarkation afternoon, it was a nice way to start but I usually do my own.

Manis and pedis are part of my regular maintenance like many here. I always wear a brighter shade on my toes- usually in some sort of red- the color depending on the season- brown/red or cranberry in fall, deep red in winter and a brighter red or pink in spring and summer. On my fingers I get a single coat of a pale pink. It does not chip, looks very natural but does not look like a french manicure. I'm a fan of many things French but the manicure not so much. :rolleyes: Looks very fake to me like someone is trying to hide their dirty nails.

You have to get a pedicure. Manicures never last and i hate when they are all chipped, so I just usually cut them short myself and maybe a top clear coat. But the feet, gotta get them done;). I usually choose a light coloer (beige, champagne, light pink french manicure, etc.) that will go with a lot of different clothing options.

I have gel nails and get a pedi about once every 2 months. I dont know what kind of UF coating they put on my nails but my polish lasts 2 weeks unless it wears off at the tips (like if Im doing tons of gardening, etc) Bright bright PINK for me, makes me look more tan.

I have to do at least a pedi before my cruises. I am a nurse so I can't keep nail polish on my hands with all of the alcohol gels and soap/water that I use. My favorite color is Down to my last penny by OPI. ( I am always down to my last penny so I can cruise!)

Once I did a mani on the ship and it was a wonderful job that lasted a week:eek: I was impressed! But I am too cheap to do that every time I cruise.

I'm pale, so I find bronzy-neutral-pinks look the best. I go light and frosted on my toes and darker and matte on my fingernails. I only do my fingers for special occasions, because they tend to chip and wear...okay, I do tend to use them as a portable tool set. I also find if I ignore my fingernails they grow long and beautiful, but the minute I pay any attention to them I'll break one and they all have to go!

But as soon as the snow melts and the weather warms up, my shiny little toes come out. It just looks nicer! It's practical, too, since exposed feet get dusty and dirty...polish keeps everything looking cleaner and prettier. And I so agree about the French manicure...I'm not crazy about a french on fingers but on toes? Ick!

I must confess that I get my nails done before a cruise. My DH and I are leaving on 5/25 for a few days and I've gotten my hair appointment and nail appointment. I had a pedicure about two weeks ago, so I'm not going to do that again, but I will have my nails polished. I wear reds and it makes me feel really pretty.:p

I like color and french. Let me share though what happened to me several years ago since we are going to Cayman. We went to Grand Cayman and stayed a week a few years ago. I had french manicure and the craziest thing happened. We had just finished putting on suntan lotion and I looked down at my nails and they were all grainy and everything I touched got into the grooves. It looked like a real mess and was very bothersome. It was like it was melting. I asked someone about it after we got back home and they said it was a combination of the extreme heat and the suntan lotion. I have never seen anything like it so needless to say I won't be having french done before the cruise. :rolleyes:

I don't have an issue seeing nails not polished, but I do have an issue when I see the need to recolor. It just bothers me to see chipped nail color. On my last cruise, my nail polished chipped and I was about to go ape. Will not travel without my nail polish again. It didn't do that on my first cruise, so I assumed I was ok.

Any way, I have been getting pedicures every two weeks. I have no other expenses like getting my hair done so that's a plus. I'll cut back when the summer is over. I'm picky about my feet. I usually don't get color polish on my fingernails because it chips too fast. I usually just get them buffed where they look shiny. I also keep my nails short because of my nephew. I cut them if they grow out over 1/8 inch. I keep them really short.

As far as color, it depends on the time of the year. In the summer, I'll wear something fun and bright. During the cooler months, I'll wear something neutral. During the winter, I'll get a pedicure and paint my toes when I get home.

I agree with you when it's chipped it looks tacky...

What's even more stupid looking, IMO, is when someone paint's ONLY their big toe..and not the rest..I don't know why someone would do that unless the rest of their toys had fungus, in which case they should just leave all of them bare.

I don't have an issue seeing nails not polished, but I do have an issue when I see the need to recolor. It just bothers me to see chipped nail color. On my last cruise, my nail polished chipped and I was about to go ape. Will not travel without my nail polish again. It didn't do that on my first cruise, so I assumed I was ok.

Any way, I have been getting pedicures every two weeks. I have no other expenses like getting my hair done so that's a plus. I'll cut back when the summer is over. I'm picky about my feet. I usually don't get color polish on my fingernails because it chips too fast. I usually just get them buffed where they look shiny. I also keep my nails short because of my nephew. I cut them if they grow out over 1/8 inch. I keep them really short.

As far as color, it depends on the time of the year. In the summer, I'll wear something fun and bright. During the cooler months, I'll wear something neutral. During the winter, I'll get a pedicure and paint my toes when I get home.

What a fun thread.

I too make sure to get pedis for trips. I promised my dd who was 7 for our first cruise that we would get pedis together. She just loved it but they only lasted for a couple of hours. We went together again for this last trip, thankfully it lasted longer this time. It is a fun mother/daugher ritual for us. I do try to keep my toes pretty for the summer, but not for winter. Plus, I just bought these really sexy black satin and rhinestone sandals for formal nights and I need to have pretty toes for those.:D

I have really ugly feet and the polish just helps them look nicer. I love having a pedi done by a pro because it lasts for over a month without chipping. I still have the polish on my feet from my Apr 5 cruise with no chips. Need to get it done again, but I am having the darndest time finding a good nail tech. I am "fluffy" and reaching my toes is a challenge, so I don't do my own.:o I prefer the dark pinks and corals as well. My fave is To Eros is Human by OPI, but I can't get it anymore.

I don't do my fingers because it just doesn't last. I had gels done for this last cruise and even those were peeling off by the end of the first week. I got a lovely French style and thought it looked clean and natural.

I agree with you when it's chipped it looks tacky...

What's even more stupid looking, IMO, is when someone paint's ONLY their big toe..and not the rest..I don't know why someone would do that unless the rest of their toys had fungus, in which case they should just leave all of them bare.

Painting only the big toe?? :confused: That's crazy. I've never seen that.

I've seen it more than once...why, I don't know...it's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen and can make someone's feet look even more ugly...:D

Painting only the big toe?? :confused: That's crazy. I've never seen that.

I don't like unpainted toes and don't care for the French manicure look (I thought that was out of style now :rolleyes:). I always get a pedicure before a cruise. When I had acrylics on my fingernails, I always had my nails done before I left. But, with natural nails, they are so fragile that they get ruined in the process of packing and traveling. So, I always schedule a manicure the first day of the cruise, a second one after a week for longer cruises. I wore darker polish when I had acrylics, but now wear sheer polish on my fingers, as it chips so fast.

Archived