Sitka

LindaKE

Bummer that it is just a sea day. We're going to pick based on having Sitka as a port, so I really really hope we'll get to do that. I was hoping that if the ship couldn't tender to Sitka, it would do something like Hubbard Glacier or Icy Straight as an alternate. (I don't know what would be within sailing distance.) We did a one way on Princess several years ago, so I'm hoping we'll get to see some scenery that we missed the first time. Alaska is soooooo beautiful!

I've never heard of a ship not being able to tender at Sitka - it has an extremely well-sheltered harbor. The problem port for rough weather is Skagway and even there docking problems are very uncommon.

Linda-- just wondering: why are you so eager to see Sitka? What kinds of excursions or whatever are you planning there? I'm having a little trouble figuring out that port-- how best to use our time. (More interested in scenery than in history; and zero interest in shopping)

DH is really interested in the history. Normally I prefer scenery too, but I think it's interesting to see the impact of other countries on an area. We'll probably do some kind of tour that emphasizes the Russian influence. Since this is the second Alaskan cruise for us, we are wanting to see something different from what we saw before.

Linda-- just wondering: why are you so eager to see Sitka? What kinds of excursions or whatever are you planning there? I'm having a little trouble figuring out that port-- how best to use our time. (More interested in scenery than in history; and zero interest in shopping)

Sitka is definately a gem of the inside passage. Loaded with history, a very nice National Park with totems, the best varied wildlife boat tours on the inside passage, and your only opportunity for access to puffins and sea otters on a tour. request a visitor guide http://www.sitka.org

Archived