Are walkie talkies the norm?

gt95stang

We'll be heading out on RCL in April with a fairly independent-minded 6 year old. I'm sure she's going to love being in the Adventure Oceans kids club, but I want her to be able to get in touch with us if she needs/wants to. Do a lot of families take walkie talkies on board to stay in touch? And do they work well throughout the ship?

We bring walkie talkies on every cruise but we never give one to our daughter when she's in the kids camp but then again she is 4 :o. They are great when one wants to go that way and one wants to go the other. We also see quite a few people with them as well.

Depending where you are on the ship and where the kids camp is, you may not be able to get thru on the walkie talkie (no signal if too far away/too many deck between). If you are concerned about whether your daughter is going to want to get in touch with you, the kids camp does have a phone so you can have a designated time to call and check up.

We were just on a Celebrity Century cruise. We had an inside cabin on Deck 9, pool was on Deck 11. If I was in the cabin, the walkie talkies didn't work. If I stepped outside of the cabin, it worked. Depending on the size of the ship and how many decks you are apart from the other person, there may be times when they don't work but generally they work great.

Archived