Embarrassing beverage question

SarasMommy

I always order two glasses of milk for dinner on whatever cruise ship I'm on, and after the first or second time the milk delivery is automatic. And no one has ever commented on my drink choice except the waiter to see if I wanted a third glass. If people are noticing what I'm drinking, the dinner conversation at their table must really be boring.

True, milk is not displayed in the lido for lunch or dinner. Just ask a server and it will be obtained for you. For some reason(s), HAL, apparantly, does not think that people would enjoy milk for lunch and dinner in the lido as well as for breakfast, at which time it is prominently displayed! I have not had a problem obtaining milk in the dining room at dinner. Ask your server again.

We've been on 11 HAL cruises and have had some difficulty getting milk on all of them. Lido breakfast isn't a problem except they don't always has non-fat. For lido lunch we have to find which section has it on that particular ship/cruise. It was the ice cream person on the Zaandam in Feb. On one cruise DD had chocolate milk in the dining room, but the CD requested it (he was at our table one evening). We have asked a few other times, but have not received it. DD doesn't want me to ask again if it doesn't appear. I don't even try requesting my favorite dinner drink -soy milk

Otherwise we are very pleased with service in both the lido and dining room, so we just mostly skip milk on the ship.

We've been on 11 HAL cruises and have had some difficulty getting milk on all of them. Lido breakfast isn't a problem except they don't always has non-fat. For lido lunch we have to find which section has it on that particular ship/cruise. It was the ice cream person on the Zaandam in Feb. On one cruise DD had chocolate milk in the dining room, but the CD requested it (he was at our table one evening). We have asked a few other times, but have not received it. DD doesn't want me to ask again if it doesn't appear. I don't even try requesting my favorite dinner drink -soy milk

Otherwise we are very pleased with service in both the lido and dining room, so we just mostly skip milk on the ship.

It is unfortunate that you have had such difficulty obtaining milk!

I have never had any problem obtaining milk in either the lido or main dining room, simply by asking a server for it.

In the lido at lunch, milk, for whatever reason(s) is not displayed, probably to make room for all the desserts at the station where milk is normally available at breakfast! If you ask the server at the ice cream station in the lido, he will gladly obtain milk for you, which is kept in a cooler beneath the dessert counter!

• 1 month later...
Is the milk complimentary at all meals or is there a charge like for soda and other drinks?

Milk is included in your cruise fare. Always. If you don't see it out (in the Lido), just ask for it. In the dining room, it's a simple request. It's also available from room service.

on one cruise a lovely elegant lady (and i do mean LADY) had 2 glasses of milk with her dinner...served in a wine glass as is her preference and hot milk with dessert. no problem and certainly not embarassed. wait staff are happy to oblige

sara....see you on our cruise....I know how to pick you out now!;)

You know - hot milk with dessert sounds like something that I would want to try.

I have milk every night at dinner on ship.

If I eat breakfast in the dining room, I have milk then, also.

In the Lido, sometimes yes, sometimes no, depends on my mood.

I rarely have milk at lunch, regardless where I eat.

The OP does raise a very good question.

Outside of North America (and a few spots in Western Europe), it is very unusual to see an adult human drinking milk that a cow produced for her baby.

To the Indonesian Service Staff on HAL, an adult ordering milk for a meal is a bizarre event. But as someone else already suggested, they have become quite accustomed to bizarre food and beverage orders over the years.

It will take more than a glass of milk to get them laughing at you.

The OP does raise a very good question.

Outside of North America (and a few spots in Western Europe), it is very unusual to see an adult human drinking milk that a cow produced for her baby.

To the Indonesian Service Staff on HAL, an adult ordering milk for a meal is a bizarre event. But as someone else already suggested, they have become quite accustomed to bizarre food and beverage orders over the years.

It will take more than a glass of milk to get them laughing at you.

Wow....bizarre....seems strange that someone would think asking for milk is bizarre. I can't stand the stuff so I'm glad I won't be thought of as bizarre:D.

Wow....bizarre....seems strange that someone would think asking for milk is bizarre. I can't stand the stuff so I'm glad I won't be thought of as bizarre:D.

To most people from Asia, Southeast Asia, South America, the Middle East, Africa, Eastern Europe, and the Mediterranean, an adult asking for a glass of cow's milk with dinner is about as normal as an adult asking for a few jars of Gerber baby food for dinner.

About 80% of the world's population believes that milk is nature's way for mothers to provide easily digested food for their babies and young. Hardly surprising that they would see an adult human drinking milk from a cow as bizarre.

But there is nothing wrong with it. And it's probably no more strange to some people than the 1.3 billion Chinese who eat dog meat every week.

• 2 weeks later...
When I am at home, my dinner beverage of choice is milk. If I request that in the dining room, will they laugh me right out of the place? I tried to do a search on the topic, but all I found were references to the "Lose while you cruise" board, and posts from parents bringing children with them.

Told you it was embarrassing! :o

Why would you be embarrassed to say that you drink when others are not embarrassed to say they smuggle booze! Hey you can even smuggle milk if you like :D

Seriously, you should have no issues getting milk at dinner. We ordered it for our kids at dinner.

Archived