Ms Ryndam questions 3/25/09 sailing

Gizmo582

Are there safes in the staterooms? Trying to decide about jewelry as well as cameras, especially inlight of recent crimes in Mexican Riveria tourist areas. Our daughter just fwd a letter from the Mexican Ministry of Tourism, and alerts of 50,000 university students' trips being cancelled to Mexico. She is in the industry manages large corporate groups, often to Puerto Vallerta, Cancun, etc.

I was dismayed that I had been told there would be special chef events in the Culinary Center in conjunction with Food & Wine mag onboard on this cruise-nada! I am on this cruise to write a series as film on Culinary Travel IE cruising. The AAA/HAL agents assured me there would be hands on cooking classes with chefs which we planned to film!

Ironically we built this assignment around our 35th anniversary! Haven't cruised in many years. We normally travel to SE Asia, Europe, India, etc. Just filmed in Thailand, Cambodia, and Dalmatia.

Now what? Any suggestions as to culinary events on shore?

Yes there are safes in the staterooms of Ryndam.

Please donot be disturbed too much about the Mexico horror stories.

In most places where many tourists come you will be o.k.

At the moment e.g. in Puerto vallarta there are thousands of tourists for short and also long stays of a few weeks or months. And they are enjoying it. (Like we do).

You can take your camera with you, but use your common sense as you would do anywhere.

When we sailed Ryndam in November we had I think 3 culinary shows and we liked it very much.Apart from the cooking lessons which people could join against a fee.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you so much for the reply! We are on a 10 day cruise putting in at 5 ports. We are not travel novices for sure having been to well over 5 dozen countries-many 3rd world countries, but the offical alerts from the Mexico Tourism chief was alarming plus the cancellation by travel agents of 50,000 US students. Nothing can compare to riots and protests in India, China and Kosovo/Serbia/Bosnia during the civil wars!

I look forward to shooting many photos and HD videos for a new serious on Culinary Travel-thus the disappointment of no celeb chef listed or classes.

We have friends in PV and will have great fun there for sure!

Safes on Ryndam -- card operated -- we use an expired AAA card.

All the ships have free demonstrations for food -- usually done by either the Pinnacle Chef or the main chef.

All ships do have cooking classes -- $29 per person -- limited to 12 people -- you can get the information and sign up for a class at the front office on embarkation day.

As to guest chef's -- they are usually on the longer cruises.

Expired AAA card? We are long time AAA members, but why a card?

On some of the ships the safe is opened/closed by using a card with a magnetic strip. It does not have to be a valid credit card. :) A AAA card will do the trick; I use an expired gasoline card with the numbers cut out.

Thanks, now I get it! We're on count-down for our firast in 30 years cruise. 10 days on Ms Ryndam to the Mexican Riveria (March 25)

I am a wee bit concerned about this novovirus thing. Is it on every or most cruises? I mean I have traveled to third world countries for 4-6 weeks at a time- like China, India, SE Asia dozens of times and stay healthy other than some intestinal bouts.

I am a wee bit concerned about this novovirus thing. Is it on every or most cruises?

Norovirus is everywhere in the world. It's in schools, hospitals, nursing homes---it can even come into your home.

When you go to the grocery store is there a wipe to clean off the cart handle? How about at the gym---are there wipes for the equipment? That's to help prevent the spread of the virus.

The norovirus may, or may not, come aboard your ship for your cruise. All you can do is be careful to wash your hands every chance you get, and keep your hands away from your mouth and nose.

Thanks for putting norovirus in prospective. I keep reading of red alerts and such and egads doesn't sound like fun, but I have been around leapers an quite ill people in India etc. Wash hands constantly. We carry the little bottles of disinfectant hand wash and I smile instead of shaking hands or give a Thai wai or an Indian Namaste

VBG

Thanks again! I am sure we will enjoy this cruise far more than our first one 30+ years ago on HAL when we were like 26/34 and felt out of place and VERY bored.

Safes on Ryndam -- card operated -- we use an expired AAA card.

All the ships have free demonstrations for food -- usually done by either the Pinnacle Chef or the main chef.

All ships do have cooking classes -- $29 per person -- limited to 12 people -- you can get the information and sign up for a class at the front office on embarkation day.

As to guest chef's -- they are usually on the longer cruises.

On some of the ships the safe is opened/closed by using a card with a magnetic strip. It does not have to be a valid credit card. :) A AAA card will do the trick; I use an expired gasoline card with the numbers cut out.

It does not necessarily have to be an "expired" card.

Archived