Good news in bad times

coldinreno

I do wish Oceania would get rid of the Art Auctions.

We had a very obnoxious and obstreperous auctioneer aboard our Istanbul/Singapore trip, 11-06. I believe he went by the moniker Tiny Tim - and he was really quite a large fellow.

Even though DW & I left for two weeks in the Carib., didn't think this winter was all that bad. Didn't even have to fire up the snow blower, although I did out snow tires on my car.

But wait! we still have the rest of March and good old April. The latter always seems to hold a weather surprise for northern Nevada.

I found one of the pieces they were selling at a Park West ship auction at the Rembrandt museum in Amsterdam. It was a hand printed etching made from a computer reproduced plate of the original. The museum's price was less than $50 while the Park West price was over $1,000. The museum price did not include framing but I think I could get it framed for well under $950.

Amen. The art auctions are very annoying and ruin beautiful space on the ship. Nothing worse than walking into the Nautica Lounge and seeing the aisles lined with "pretend" art. Of couse, I am also opposed to "tent city" topside forward. Blocks great views. We recently took our family on the Panama Canal trip but used another line so they could have the opportunity to view from all angles of the ship.

I do wish Oceania would get rid of the Art Auctions.

We can live in hope:D

I always make that comment on the end of cruise card

Or at least move his deck to deck 4 so people can enjoy the music without him shouting over them to clients

Lyn

In defence of the Cabanas (tent city, indeed!), we must comment that they are absolute heaven!

oceania-cabana-romance.jpgL0000175%20Small%20Web%20view.jpg

The service, the ambience, and the view are all absolutely first rate and fully the equal of the experience on cruise lines which will run you two and three times as much as an Oceania cruise.

regattaskewersvirtual.jpg

If you have only been able to dream about the yachts of Seabourn, or Silversea, book a Cabana on an Oceania cruise.......you deserve it!

insigcabana.jpgAnd if you wind up in the Phuket cabana, remember the accent grave ` !:eek:

Isn't that why they have curtains that can be drawn?

And I thought that I was skirting propriety......

I like the way that you think, though.

We once had cabana-neighbors who kept their curtains so relentlessly drawn that we were sure that something illicit must have been going on in there.

But it turns out that they just hated everybody.

You know, they might have been less cranky if they had gone in for a little phuket!

I get a bit fed up with people moaning about the cabanas --

Pay for the space if you want it-- if it was free you'd probably be hogging the space and letting nobody else see the view.

The cabanas are nice for those who catch the sun too easily yet want to see the ocean.The good spots(that are free) by the pool are usually taken so we just insure we get a sunbed thats available for our use.

I, too, would greatly applaud the retreat of Park West -- but, I had been led to believe that this concession was one of the most profitable for the cruise lines which is why they have been allowed so much freedom on board the ships.

Good riddance Park West, as long as their retreat does not hasten any bankruptcy bells to toll ... or alternately cause cruise prices or cruise "nickel and diming" to increase too much to make up for lost revenues.

Back to the original topic. Sorry. Anyway, hope they do, in fact, take away "Park West." A real plus. We love Oceania so we just ignore that part, but it would be so much nicer to not have it.

Typical

Park West, the leader in annoyance aboard cruise ships has announced that due to "changing economic conditions" they will gradually withdraw their program from Holland American Line. How did HAL get so lucky?.

I would strongly suggest that one should take the time to do a "search" under Park West Art Auctions At Sea. It will open your eyes and give thought to why there is such in uproar about this kind of activity on board Oceania and other lines.

There is an extremely interesting interview with a former Park West "Auctioneer" - it's a 20+ minute video posted in MySpace and will give you ample reasons to avoid the sales "tactics" that are used.....

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=45026317

Archived