* TEXAS Cruisers *

fun and breezes 2

for the warm welcome.

FUN - we have done Eastern C., Western C., and West Coast/Mex. Riviera. Our favorite is Eastern Caribbean. We absolutely love St. Thomas and St. Maarten. So much to do and lots and lots of shopping plus beautiful beaches.

JIMI - sorry about your friend. I lost my Dear Mother 3 years ago at a very young age (58).

Where are you going on your cruise this year? Out of Galveston? Small world - I have an aunt that lives in Hurst. I visit her about once a month.

MKSCHLES - Dominica is very natural and beautiful; but that's about it. We have only been there once and that was about 8 years ago, so I really don't know how it's changed.

We did a bit of souvenir shopping (that's all they have) and then relaxed at a bar near the pier. The bar was accompanied by a gorgeous waterfall, so there were many photo opportunitites. Other than that - kind of a simple place.

We go to the spa every cruise for a massage only. I have never had any hair or makeup.

It's okay - the massage is all dependent on "who" you get. I have had wonderful ones and really lousy ones - but each time I'm glad I did it. It's just part of the vacation experience and yes, it's worth the money. DH and myself have traveled alone and with friends. We enjoy both - and I understand how you might "get tired" of one another. We always make a pact before boarding - we'll share with you what we are doing today and if you would like to join us - GREAT. If not - we'll catch up with you at dinner. That seems to keep the peace.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I'll look forward to chatting with you. Crystal.

hello all, we are from Anahuac, (between beaumont and Houston) also love cruising, and are openly addicted.... we have met soooooo many great people from Texas that have sailed with us in the past!! I believe that Texans are the friendliest cruisers around!!!

hello all, we are from Anahuac, (between beaumont and Houston) also love cruising, and are openly addicted.... we have met soooooo many great people from Texas that have sailed with us in the past!! I believe that Texans are the friendliest cruisers around!!!

Ain't it the truth! I have found so many times that the cruise staff and port locals, absolutely LOVE it when Texans are on board! Crystal.

Oldmedic you are quite the traveled cruiser. Looks like you prefer Carnival. I've been on 4 Carnival ships and all have been great. We have been cruising Princess for the most lately. We decided to just stick with one at a time to rack up numbers in the frequent cruiser programs. You know, the more you cruise, the more levels you reach, and the more perks they offer. You must be way up there with the Carnival program.

Karen

Crystal, The Caribbean is my favorite area also. For me it's too close to call between southern and eastern Caribbean as I would go to either in a heartbeat. My favorites so far have been Antigua, Barbados, and St Thomas. I have never taken the ferry over to Water Island or St John so I'm thinking we may try that next month. Have you tried either yet?

Karen

We'd love to here from other Texans who love to cruise. It seems that every time we cruise there are many other people from Texas on the ship with us. Let's talk!

Karen

Hi - Denise and Jimmy from the Dallas area, Forney to be exact. We have cruised out of Galveston on Rhapsody x3, Splendour and Carnival Ecstasy. Out of Los Angeles last summer on Monarch, Miami on Freedom and most recently Barcelona on Brilliance to Eastern Med.

Later this year we are going to the Bahamas on Majesty, Bermuda on Explorer and next January out of San Juan on Serenade. We'll be Diamond on that one. :p Yes, we love to cruise.

Hi - Denise and Jimmy from the Dallas area, Forney to be exact. We have cruised out of Galveston on Rhapsody x3, Splendour and Carnival Ecstasy. Out of Los Angeles last summer on Monarch, Miami on Freedom and most recently Barcelona on Brilliance to Eastern Med.

Later this year we are going to the Bahamas on Majesty, Bermuda on Explorer and next January out of San Juan on Serenade. We'll be Diamond on that one. :p Yes, we love to cruise.

Hi Denise and Jimmy. I am also from the Dallas area.

Oldmedic you are quite the traveled cruiser. Looks like you prefer Carnival. I've been on 4 Carnival ships and all have been great. We have been cruising Princess for the most lately. We decided to just stick with one at a time to rack up numbers in the frequent cruiser programs. You know, the more you cruise, the more levels you reach, and the more perks they offer. You must be way up there with the Carnival program.

Karen

yeah, we like Carnival!!! we are only about 40 minutes from the terminal, so it is an easy trip for us...(maybe too easy...lol...) we have reached the Platinum level, which is nice for the free laundry thingy, and the express check in, but that is really about all the perks we take advantage of... I think Royal Carribbean offers a better past guest program,but they don't offer any 5 day cruises out of Galveston, so we have stuck with Carnival....and try to do at least two cruises a year... several years ago, my child support stopped, but I just rolled what I was paying over to a savings account and we use that for cruise fund now...

KAREN - We go to St. John every year after we arrive in St. Thomas. We book a private day sail with Capt. Jim - Jester Sailing Adventures. http://www.sailjester.com. We love the peacefulness of the private sail as well as the beauty of St. John, and Capt. is fantastic!

I highly recommend him. We have never taken the ferry; but pass by it every year when we go to meet Jester.

OLDMEDIC - we are Platinum status with CCL as well. Actually - we are only 4 away from 25 on CCL which gives a few more perks - discounts or OBC's on all sailings after 25. I can't remember right now exactly what they are.............besides priority embark/debark - we love having private entrance to Purser's desk.

Dallen, what is it you are standing beside in your picture?

Karen

Karen,

This picture was taken in Rhodes, Greece. It is a tree with an eye painted on it... I guess you knew that already, :), but up close I would say it looked like the face of a giraffe.

Karen,

This picture was taken in Rhodes, Greece. It is a tree with an eye painted on it... I guess you knew that already, :), but up close I would say it looked like the face of a giraffe.

Actually I didn't know it was a tree, I thought it was a sculpture. Yes I do see the giraffe image. That is really interesting and I'm sure quite the conversation piece. Was it the only one painted up or were there more?

Karen

The ferry will take you to "downtown" St. Johns. From there, grab an open air taxi. Ask the driver how much to Trunk's Cay and he'll tell you. I want to say it was $6/pp. You'll share the taxi (it is really like an open air van) with other people. The drive to the beach itself is beautiful as St. Johns is very hilly. The way I discovered the idea to do this was from our Frommer's Guide. I find that little book to be invaluable! The whole process was easy and we got back to our cruise ship with plenty of time to spare. It is a little nerve wracking since you are traveling to another island from where your ship is docked but it really was fine.

I am seriously thinking of this for our cruise in April. How long did you have to allow for getting to and from the beach?

Karen

Actually I didn't know it was a tree, I thought it was a sculpture. Yes I do see the giraffe image. That is really interesting and I'm sure quite the conversation piece. Was it the only one painted up or were there more?

Karen

This same tree had another eye painted on the other side. You would see one eye as you came from either direction.

I am seriously thinking of this for our cruise in April. How long did you have to allow for getting to and from the beach?

Karen

Karen - Since this is public transportation you have to catch a ferry which tends to run every 1/2 hour or so and it is a 45 minute boat ride. Once you get to St. Johns there are taxis waiting and you are less than 10 minutes from the beach. There are several to choose from but Frommers really liked Trunk's Cay. It is probably easier to book a shore excursion through the cruise line and you would likely get there more quickly. We chose to do it this way because we enjoyed talking to the locals and it was cheaper (I was a student at the time). It is a US Territory so everyone speaks English and it was really interesting talking to them because their day to day lives are so very different from most in the US.

I liked going to St. Johns because it wasn't touristy at all and far less crowded.

Karen - Since this is public transportation you have to catch a ferry which tends to run every 1/2 hour or so and it is a 45 minute boat ride. Once you get to St. Johns there are taxis waiting and you are less than 10 minutes from the beach. There are several to choose from but Frommers really liked Trunk's Cay. It is probably easier to book a shore excursion through the cruise line and you would likely get there more quickly. We chose to do it this way because we enjoyed talking to the locals and it was cheaper (I was a student at the time). It is a US Territory so everyone speaks English and it was really interesting talking to them because their day to day lives are so very different from most in the US.

I liked going to St. Johns because it wasn't touristy at all and far less crowded.

I thought about the ships tour, but my two thoughts against it are (1) they only give you about 2 hours at the beach and (2) if the weather is yucky you can't back out. I'd just not go if it's drizzly or stormy that day. Other than a 45 min ferry ride to St Thomas, how did you plan for traffic? How much time did you have to allow for getting back to the ship from Red Hook?

Since our upcoming cruises are to almost the same ports, we will have to compare trips later. I'm planning on searching out new beaches this time, except for Bonaire. We will go to Klein Bonaire and we have already been there before.

Karen

Karen

I know....I have goose bumps. I am soooooooo excited. I have soooooooo much to do.

I'll keep ya updated. got the formal look down. but what about everyday wear. Means I have to wash UGH. LOL I started cleaning yesterday so the house would be ok when I got back. It looks worse now . I gues that is what next week is for. AND my hubby's birthday is Saturday.

:D:D:D

Karen

I know....I have goose bumps. I am soooooooo excited. I have soooooooo much to do.

I'll keep ya updated. got the formal look down. but what about everyday wear. Means I have to wash UGH. LOL I started cleaning yesterday so the house would be ok when I got back. It looks worse now . I gues that is what next week is for. AND my hubby's birthday is Saturday.

:D:D:D

I do the same thing. I like coming home to a clean house, so I have to pack and clean too. I've been setting things aside for our cruise, but haven't actually packed anything yet.

Karen

Archived