Getting off Glory nightmare!

FlaBubba

Carnival Cruiseline, whats up with the Glory? Getting off this morning was a nightmare. Its like you tried to empty the boat all at once, there was no system, I have sailed on 4 other cruises with Carnival and have never seen this problem before. Anyone else see this kind of thing happing? I love Carnival but this is really a downer after such a wonderful fun feeled cruise. Sure hope they get this fixed. Next time I might just set on the Lido deck until the boat is almost empty.:rolleyes:

Its like you tried to empty the boat all at once, there was no system,

So they just made one announcement "OK, everyone off the boat"?

Or did you mean that the system being used was largely ignored by the passengers?

If the second, there isn't much Carnival can do, short of issuing cattle prods to the staff. Sometimes you just end up on a ship with a ton of the "I'm more important then anyone else" types.

:(

Carnival Cruiseline, whats up with the Glory? Getting off this morning was a nightmare. Its like you tried to empty the boat all at once, there was no system, I have sailed on 4 other cruises with Carnival and have never seen this problem before. Anyone else see this kind of thing happing? I love Carnival but this is really a downer after such a wonderful fun feeled cruise. Sure hope they get this fixed. Next time I might just set on the Lido deck until the boat is almost empty.:rolleyes:

based on my experiences on ncl. its not really the cruiselines fault. its a ton of passengers that always feel like they need to be the first in every line. I saw it every where I went onboard. They announce all morning long that you werent allowed to wait in the hallways to depark. but yet there were hundreds of people doing it. I will admit that I did like to be the first in line to buy my bingo machines....not that it worked, I never won anything

Could there have been an odd circumstance that caused the confusion? Like customs delaying things and then everyone trying to leave at once to make flights?

We sailed the Glory in January - had #12 luggage tags and were off the ship and through customs within 15 minutes of them calling our number. Back to the hotel to pick up the car by 9:15am so I don't think this is normal. I do sympathize though, I went through a 2 hours crammed in a stairwell debarkation a few years ago and it sucked bigtime.

We had absolutely no problem last May.

But then, I had intentionally booked an early evening flight so we could relax and not be in a rush to get home.

We had a nice, leisurely breakfast, then got our carryons from the cabin so the steward could do his thing, went up to the aft Lido pool area with our books and cups of tea and sat until about 10:10.

Simply walked off the ship, picked up our luggage, walked over to the Avis shuttle, and picked up our rental car.

Could not have been easier.

Now, in December on Fascination, they repeatedly called names. Over and over and over. It appears some of the non-US passport holders had failed to report to immigrations (they are required to do so very early in the a.m.) and nothing could start until they were cleared.

So all those "oh, just do self disembark and you'll get your 10 am flight" people were completely wrong on that one! Self disembark didn't even start until nearly 8:30, and when they started calling by decks, there was just a stampede.

Personally, I wish they'd stop encouraging people to do the self-disembark and only allow it for people who can prove they have early flights. And if you intentionally book a flight earlier than recommended, don't expect sympathy if you miss it due to something unforeseen happening like it did in Jax.

Well this was my sixth cruise, fifth with Carnival and I sure it will not be the last. I really wanted to find out if anyone else had ever been through this. Glory is a great ship. It's just that they called the numbers for the folks whos bags had been taken in the evening, and then started the deck by deck self carry passengers. They called several floors at the sametime and did not give time to clear. We were on level 8 and they called 8-10 at shortly after. I guess it was just a combination of events. Folks trying to get off first, not having their papers ready. Next time Lido deck until they say get the heck off this boat.:)

Sadly the problem is with all the passengers who "ignore" instructions and choose to push their way off.

I saw the same thing happening with tenders. We took the time to get our tender tickets, made our way down when we were called & shared the tender boat with a bunch of people that just went down when they felt like it & got on. Since no one was checking tickets these people were free to do as they pleased.

I wish Carnival would check for tickets and send all these people back upstairs until they could produce one....but they're too afraid it might "upset" someone so they just won't do it!!!

When we got off the Glory last September it was a mob scene. We waited until our number was called but some people must not have. We ended up in a long line that took forever to snake it's way off the ship and through the terminal and customs. I don't think the problem lies with carnival, it's people that don't follow directions and try and leave all at once.

We were on the Glory in January...it seemed like they were calling the numbers too quick...we were "11" and were waiting in a massive long line..my son getting hit by peoples luggage.rude pushy people..we're waiting on the Lido next time as well!!!!!

OK, other than getting off the ship for the last time, what is your opinion? We will be getting on next week and I can hardly wait! You'd think I was a young kid again with anticipation.

Karen

When we got off the Glory last September it was a mob scene. We waited until our number was called but some people must not have. We ended up in a long line that took forever to snake it's way off the ship and through the terminal and customs. I don't think the problem lies with carnival, it's people that don't follow directions and try and leave all at once.

hi, Carrie!

We had the same experience when we cruised on Fantasy out of NOLA 4/28/08 through 5/2/08. They called all the numbers in fairly rapid succession, so we thought everything was going smoothly...NOT! When we finally got to the end of the gangway, we entered a huge room that housed a "Disney World line" [a line winding back and forth throughout the room]. In all, we were in line for about two hours.

However, it was only slightly worse than getting off Sovereign of the Seas in Port Canaveral in August of 2007. They just failed to enforce every rule they made so that it became a brawl.

We have been on two Carnival cruises before and one since the "Battle of New Orleans", and debarkation has been a breeze on all three. They were all out of Mobile.

Both times we've debarked from Glory, it took a while, even waiting a while. The stairwells get clogged and it backs up because of all the different directions people can join the line from (not much of a line, more of a mob). It's just a function of the ship design and number of passengers. We'll see how Miracle is next month. Fantasy wasn't bad and Princess had it down very well. We basically walked right off Dawn Princess.

Or people like my sister who thought Luggage Express was a rip off and decided to cart her luggage the entire way herself. She weighs all of 105 pounds and her bags weighed as much.

We were on the Glory last June. My daughter and I opted for Luggage Express. Our flight wasn't until 2 I think so we were not in a hurry. We ate breakfast, waited until my sister's # was called and then began the trek to freedom. If not for her, we would have been off the ship in maybe 15 minutes.

Sisters! Gotta love them :)

I just returned from the Valor in Feb. It was the same way. I had #1 luggage tags, when we were called we got on the elevator and there was a big mob in the elevator area. Once we stepped out of the elevator we were trapped. It was horrible. I did write to Carnival to complain and also make suggestions. Maybe its time for everyone to write a letter to Carnival and then something might be done. Its a heck of a way to end a cruise.

When we were on the Conquest over Easter of 2008, it was a mess and long lines. We did self-debark. We went up to the Lido and waited for our floor to be called, ate breakfast, hung around, etc. Floor was called, 2 hours in the line until we made it through customs.

Now, a friend of mine was on Conquest the next week. She said they did self-debark and was off and out in about 30 mins. I asked how she did that? She said they just walked off with the first group. Did not wait until the floor was called.

I did not say anything, but I am sure her group caused a delay for those who follow instructions.

Yes, Carnival needs to enforce the rules a little better.

Is there such a THING as a smooth disembarkation??:rolleyes: What usually messes things up is when people jump the line and go before their number is called!:rolleyes:

If only everyone on the ship adhered to the rules, and followed the directions, the ship would be 'cleared' by 10 AM!:)

For some reason, people are worried they aren't going to make their 2 PM flights, so 'push/shove' to get off the ship as soon as possible.. It's really kinda' comical, but we are now opting for 'breakfast on the Lido'..:D

We were on the Glory in Nov 08 and it was a mess. They even announced they were stopping due to people ganging up in the stairwells and lobby. It took us a couple of hours to get off. I was hoping that it would be better for our next cruise, but they way it sounds, it has not been fixed.

Archived