Carnival Victory 3/1/09 Review

phinfan63

Thanks for the great review. We'll be sailing the Victory on 10/18/09 for our 25th anniversary, and got an aft balcony on the Verandah deck. Can't wait!

Being that the Verandah deck is just beneath the Lido deck, did you find that it was noisy? Since the aft balcony is beneath the aft adult pool, we thought it would be OK. I hope we were right! :-) We never heard any noise from the Lido and it was very convenient.

We're planning on going to San Juan the day before, as you did, and are looking at the Sheraton near the pier. Is the Embassy Suites hotel near the Sheraton? No, it was probably a 15 minute cab ride.

Thanks again for the wonderful review!

Karen

Stafford, VA

Thanks for the great review! It just gets me more and more excited for our cruise in October! (My first balcony and my DH's first cruise) I was curious what time did they start the self-debarkation? And what time they started calling numbers. Just trying to get a ballpark plan for the trip home! Thanks!!
I didn't notice what time they started self-debarkation ~ sorry. We had zone 11 and we were off around 10 I think.

Thank you for sharing, it was a great review. On the Victory in May, counting down the days. Did you have a favorite island? We are going to do alot of beach days so I am hoping that wont wear me out. lol

I loved all of them! I think we equate our favorite place with how much fun we had there so in that case I would have to say St Lucia. We had a wonderful day on the Cosol tour and had great people in our bus.

I would love to go back and visit Barbados because Aplmac has posted such wonderful beach pictures and unfortunately just didn't have time to see them. I wasn't all that impressed with the beach we went to (compared to some pics he has posted).

Someone asked about refrigerators in the room and no, the balcony rooms did not have them. We had a fold up cooler that we kept in our room for my wine. Mr P kept it full of ice all week. This was a cheap cooler that sweated alot so we basically kept in the shower and just left it there at the end of the week.

I'm doing half-day in some ports, but some are full-day (like Cosol in St Lucia).

I'm doing them because, unlike you, I may not get to most of these Southern itinerary ports for years. Since all but St Thomas as new to me, I want to see as much as possible!

I don't think that's unreasonable. I don't understand why people would go to some of these places they've never visited and "just" go to a beach. Beaches are everywhere. Go to Half Moon Cay if you just want a beautiful beach because there's nothing else to see.

That's why I'm staying 2 days post-cruise in San Juan at the Marriott Stellaris. To rest after my vacation! Some of us want to see these beautiful islands. Of course we can't see everythign there is to see, but we can see as much as we can within reason.

I have no plans to go to shows on the ship in the evening or lay out and watch movies. I plan on getting plenty of sleep (since I figure I'll lose my daily gambling allotment in about 15 minutes each night :o ).

So please don't give us a hard time because we want to see these ports! I cannot imagine why people go on cruises and then don't seem interested in the ports, but it's none of my business, is it? I only cruise because I want to see the ports. I don't cruise for the ship, or to stuff myself to the gills eating, or to drink myself into a stupor every day. I cruise to get to ports, and, dang it, I'm going to see them! :p

I agree with both of you :D I love to cruise to see all of the ports but as aplmac said, it's impossible to see it all. We didn't beat ourselves up trying to see everything but basically picked something in each port that we were going to do and enjoyed what we did see.

I also love beaches and Memphis just doesn't have any so I enjoy going to these ports and seeing the beautiful beaches. After running for several days, a beach day is a nice way to relax too.

And I would NEVER go to a port and not get off the ship although I might rethink that if we ever go back to Dominica. It was a beautiful island but was not my favorite for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't understand why people would go to some of these places they've never visited and "just" go to a beach. Beaches are everywhere.

a. Beaches are wonderful

b. Beaches are NOT everywhere. I live in Cincicnnati and the idea of spending a day on a beach is a luxury. The closest US beach is probably a good 10 hour drive, and probably can't compare to a Caribbean beach in terms of beauty. Not everyone can take a weekend trip to the beach.

c. Excursions are expensive

a. Beaches are wonderful

b. Beaches are NOT everywhere. I live in Cincicnnati and the idea of spending a day on a beach is a luxury. The closest US beach is probably a good 10 hour drive, and probably can't compare to a Caribbean beach in terms of beauty. Not everyone can take a weekend trip to the beach.

I have to agree with you linkinsama..........I live in Washington close to the ocean and let me tell you.....nothing like the Caribbean ocean. When I go on a cruise I want to sit back on a nice warm beach and enjoy the day. Yes I can go to the beach here, but when you have on a jacket and sweatshirt and long pants and no sun it is just not the same! :D I will take a beach any day I am on a cruise :p

I didn't say all beaches are created equal! ;)

I can't get excited about driving a couple of hours to sit on the beach here on the coast on NC, but lots of people love it.

But I'm lucky that I can drive to Jacksonville (if I really want to spend 7 hours in the car each way) and get to Half Moon Cay. THAT is my idea of a beach day!

It's just that since I'm spending so much money to take a cruise that goes to all these wonderful, new ports, I have to see some of the islands. That's just me. I would feel like I had wasted an opportunity, since I doubt I'll get to sail Southern itineraries very often.

Yes, the excursions are costing a small fortune, and that's with doing them independently, so we'l still be getting to see more and pay less than ship excursions. But excursions in 6 ports really adds up. I'm not used to taking so much cash and am mildly concerned that I'll pay a bunch of bills before I go and forget to leave myself the cash to take! :eek:

I booked the 2 days post-cruise (even more expense) to relax in San Juan at a resort on the beach.

But I'm really looking forward to this (especially since I'm working 70-hour weeks right now). I appreciate all the recent Victory reviews.

I do wish someone would start an "All Things Victory" thread. Those of you who have sailed could provide a wealth of info for those of us who haven't. There's a thread like this on just about every other ship, but not one for Victory. Any Victory "experts" out there want to start one for us? :D

I had originally picked excursions for every island. But taking 4 of us on tours in 6 ports (7 including SJ) became more than a little expensive. And the more I thought about it, the more a couple of "beach days" seemed like a great idea. I'll probably use them on Antigua and St Kitts to recover a little from several hectic days of excursions in a row.

My last cruise had only 3 ports of call, we had tours booked at them all. But it also had 3 "at sea" days to relax. A nice mix of excursions and beach days seems the most logical choice for this cruise, especially if your taking (and paying) for more than just you and your spouse.

I did this cruise last week. We went to St John in St Thomas, Did a private tour with Levi Barron (the one that includes Middleham Falls) in Dominica, Went to Accra Beach in Barbados, Had a private tour with Fabian (just the two of us and a driver. AWESOME) in St Lucia, spent the day at Jolly Beach Resort in Antigua and did the train ride in St Kitts.

In hindsight, the only thing I would have done different was a island tour in Antigua. Jolly Beach Resort was great, but I think a good over view of the island was needed. I do not regret my beach day in Barbados.

My strong recommendations are to get out and see as much as Dominica and St Lucia as possible with an independent tour. The Carnival tours will not do it justice.

Have fun. It was by far my favorite cruise.

such a great review! I'm the one that asked if you "hated"or "loved" the cruise. I can tell, you had a wonderful time. Now, I just have to wait a very long time to cruise, but have something to look forward to. Thanks again for the review AND the pictures.

Thanks for the advice Tiggerman 101...I saw where a few people had taken taxi tours for a couple of hours around Antigua and were very pleased with them. Looked like a good suggestion and we could decide that day if we wanted to (and if the money was still holding out!).

I'm leaning towards Cat tour to St Johns (Trunk Bay) on 1st day, Emerald pool and Falls in Dominica, swimming with the turtles in Barbados, and Cosol tour in St Lucia.

Antigua looks like Henderson or Darkwood beaches and maybe a short tour. St Kitts is probably Cockleshell beach.

Memphis Wife...I see you are about a month ahead of me on your cruise. Be sure and review your trip for us so I can get your thoughts post-trip.

Memphis Wife...I see you are about a month ahead of me on your cruise. Be sure and review your trip for us so I can get your thoughts post-trip.

Since you are doing several of the things we are planning on I will definitely get back on here and let you know what a really fantastic time we had on this cruise!

• 7 months later...
a. Beaches are wonderful

Yeh!

Archived