Formal Night - Alaska

phinfan63

Sure I can.....blue jean coveralls with a solid red shirt.....same as they wore every other night during the 14 days, except for formal night, they took off their ball cap.

A very extreme case indeed but normal people dressed in normal casual attire will not be affected by their decisions to admit people. btw- you could always have faced in the other direction not have been looking at him.

A very extreme case indeed but normal people dressed in normal casual attire will not be affected by their decisions to admit people. btw- you could always have faced in the other direction not have been looking at him.

You only asked if we could remember someone from the last cruise, and I gave you one....if you had said "from any cruises" I would have given a list. You did not ask for extreme cases, only examples.

Yes, I could have faced the other direction, but then I would have been looking at the guy whose toupe was crooked every night, sitting with another guy who wore a white dinner jacket every night of the cruise, not just formal night.

You only asked if we could remember someone from the last cruise, and I gave you one....if you had said "from any cruises" I would have given a list. You did not ask for extreme cases, only examples.

Yes, I could have faced the other direction, but then I would have been looking at the guy whose toupe was crooked every night, sitting with another guy who wore a white dinner jacket every night of the cruise, not just formal night.

Pure entertainment.

Formal night - depends on your comfort level. Our last Alaskan cruise on formal nights there were many men that had on a nice shirt/slacks. No jacket, no tie. The way I look at it, if I feel comfortable and feel that I look nice, that is all that counts. My DH does not take suits/jackets when he has been on a cruise. Not his style and we still ate in the dining room.

DJ127

If he wears a nice pair of slacks and a nice shirt no one will say anything to him and I doubt he’ll feel out of place. If he’s anything like me I could give a rip about getting dressed up, they make to big of a deal about it. I wear a jacket and tie to appease my better half. Last year when we were on the Star Princess, the first formal night one of the guy’s at the table next to us had on a nice pair of jeans, tennis shoes and a sweat shirt that had paint splatter on it. What day in July are your parents going o Alaska? We might be on the same ship.

They are sailing from Seattle on July 26th.

phinfan63, I just noted your post count and it would seem to me that you have been around long enough to answer your own question. So many threads have been started on this subject that it has become a game to see who can make up a formal question and how long they can keep it going before it is deleted. I think perhaps that is why your first attempt was deleted.

You are correct, I have been on these boards for a few years But we have always sailed Carnival. Carnival has recently changed their formal night to cruise elegant so it is perfectly acceptable to go to dinner with a nice pair of slacks and collared shirt (no jacket or tie)

I appreciate everyone's input but I believe he has decided to go ahead and take the jacket :)

They are sailing from Seattle on July 26th.

Hey! That's our sailing! We'll be onboard with them!

My fiance does not own a suit. We are getting married at the end of July (the 25, the day before the cruise!) and it's a somewhat casual daytime wedding, so I debated whether to even make him wear a full suit or just dress slacks, shirt and tie. Since he will need to dress for formal nights on the cruise anyway, we decided this is a great time for him to invest in a suit. Haven't bought it yet, but it's on the list of things to do...

Luckily we don't have to worry about how much luggage we have, since we live in the Seattle area and won't have to fly, just drive about 20 miles to the port.

Hey! That's our sailing! We'll be onboard with them!

My fiance does not own a suit. We are getting married at the end of July (the 25, the day before the cruise!) and it's a somewhat casual daytime wedding, so I debated whether to even make him wear a full suit or just dress slacks, shirt and tie. Since he will need to dress for formal nights on the cruise anyway, we decided this is a great time for him to invest in a suit. Haven't bought it yet, but it's on the list of things to do...

Luckily we don't have to worry about how much luggage we have, since we live in the Seattle area and won't have to fly, just drive about 20 miles to the port.

Yes, I noticed that you had posted on their roll call. My parents are TennTwo:)

If I am sitting at the table on formal night and the waiter brings over a person who is not dressed appropriately I will ask the waiter to sit them elsewhere or request the Maitre D' to enforce the dress code and show these folks where the buffet is. If I was taken to a table where someone was not dressed appropriately I would refuse to sit with them also. So I am letting you know that many of the times the Maitre D' is doing what was requested by a fellow passenger. I belong to a country club and we do not allow golfers to wear their hats backwards while on the course. So you see some folks cruise becasue they enjoy the finer things in life and not just because you can eat 14 meals a day. I like the fine dinning nites and dress accordingly.

If I am sitting at the table on formal night and the waiter brings over a person who is not dressed appropriately I will ask the waiter to sit them elsewhere or request the Maitre D' to enforce the dress code and show these folks where the buffet is. If I was taken to a table where someone was not dressed appropriately I would refuse to sit with them also. So I am letting you know that many of the times the Maitre D' is doing what was requested by a fellow passenger. I belong to a country club and we do not allow golfers to wear their hats backwards while on the course. So you see some folks cruise becasue they enjoy the finer things in life and not just because you can eat 14 meals a day. I like the fine dinning nites and dress accordingly.

Unfortunately you're not at you country club on a cruise ship. What would do if the offending person was at a table across from you & didn't dress to your specifications?

btw- I only eat about 8 meals a day on a cruise & don't play golf.

MDH doesn't like to take a suite jacket, so there have been times he wore a dark dress shirt, tie, and silk vest. We coordinated our colors..he wore black dress pants, purple shirt, black tie and black vest. I wore solid black. This was done on both Celebrity and Princess. Just another option.:)

Archived