Formal Night - Alaska

phinfan63

Not sure why but my last thread with this question was closed after only two replies :confused: As much as I appreciated the reply to use the search function ~ I already have and really didn't find an answer to my question.

My parents are going on the Alaskan cruise in July and are worried about formal night. My dad would like not to take a coat/tie due to the luggage allowances now. Is it possible for him to wear a pair of slacks and a nice collared shirt on formal night? No tie or suit jacket.

Thanks!

Not sure why but my last thread with this question was closed after only two replies :confused: As much as I appreciated the reply to use the search function ~ I already have and really didn't find an answer to my question.

My parents are going on the Alaskan cruise in July and are worried about formal night. My dad would like not to take a coat/tie due to the luggage allowances now. Is it possible for him to wear a pair of slacks and a nice collared shirt on formal night? No tie or suit jacket.

Thanks!

He could feel out of place in the diningroom if he's in the major minority of unjacketed males. It's his personal choice, though. They can also opt to eat in the buffet on formal nights. So many folks do.

Thanks!

Most likely he will be admitted to the DR just as you described. If a very few rare instances (extremely rare) he might not be, but it's well worth not having to pack the extra clothes.

Most likely he will be admitted to the DR just as you described. If a very few rare instances (extremely rare) he might not be, but it's well worth not having to pack the extra clothes.

Of course he'll be admitted. They would never keep him out for want of a jacket. What it really amounts to is this particular gentleman's comfort level.

If he wears a nice pair of slacks and a nice shirt no one will say anything to him and I doubt he’ll feel out of place. If he’s anything like me I could give a rip about getting dressed up, they make to big of a deal about it. I wear a jacket and tie to appease my better half. Last year when we were on the Star Princess, the first formal night one of the guy’s at the table next to us had on a nice pair of jeans, tennis shoes and a sweat shirt that had paint splatter on it. What day in July are your parents going o Alaska? We might be on the same ship.

Thanks!

It is possible. But he will be out of place in the dining room. The dress for formal night is just that, formal. There are dining venues for anyone who does not wish to participate. If your father is not sensitive to being different than others in a given situation, then by all means he should enjoy the dining room.

Hi There:

We have taken the Alaska cruise serveral times and have found this to be a more casual cruise as far as dress goes. If your Dad were to wear a dark suit or a dark sports jacket with dark pants and white shirt with dark tie he would be fine. He can wear the same thing twice with two formal nights. If he wants to wear a tuxedo....he can rent all of that through Cruise line formal wear available on the Princess website....and have everything in his stateroom upon arrival...tuxedo, shirt, tie, cufflinks, shoes and even the socks. My husband did this several times when we first started cruising and it cut down on the weight in the luggage for sure. They even have a tailor on board to help with the fit if need be on formal nights.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Wavefairy

The thread was probably locked as formal wear is a very heated subject. I have been to Alaska 6 times and the suggested formal wear is exactly the way on all other itineries.

Marilyn

Thanks!

I'm sure it depends on the ship and staff but when we were on the Caribbean in November my brother had to leave the dining room when he had no jacket but did have on a shirt and tie. My husband had to

let him use one of his jackets so he was able to eat in the dining room with the rest of us.

Just be aware they can turn him away.

Susan

Thanks!

phinfan63, I just noted your post count and it would seem to me that you have been around long enough to answer your own question. So many threads have been started on this subject that it has become a game to see who can make up a formal question and how long they can keep it going before it is deleted. I think perhaps that is why your first attempt was deleted.

Formal night means just that...formal night, no matter where you're traveling to. My father in law wore his sports coat while traveling, this way he didn't have to pack it. It is Alaska, nights are chilly and he will be glad he took it.

Thanks!

As long as the shirt is long-sleeved, my experience is that no maitre d' is going to stop him from going into the dining room. You'll see responses of "feeling out of place", "not respecting tradition", or "eat in the buffet" but it all depends on your father. Personally, I don't worry what others think of my clothing choices, don't care for the tradition, and don't eat in buffets so I go to the MDR on every cruise for formal night in dress slacks, dress shirt (always long-sleeved), and dress shoes. Never once in dozens of formal night dinners have I been turned away. Should we count the minutes until this thread is locked?

As long as the shirt is long-sleeved, my experience is that no maitre d' is going to stop him from going into the dining room. You'll see responses of "feeling out of place", "not respecting tradition", or "eat in the buffet" but it all depends on your father. Personally, I don't worry what others think of my clothing choices, don't care for the tradition, and don't eat in buffets so I go to the MDR on every cruise for formal night in dress slacks, dress shirt (always long-sleeved), and dress shoes. Never once in dozens of formal night dinners have I been turned away. Should we count the minutes until this thread is locked?

There seem to be to many people who are really concerned about how their appearance is viewer by other around them. Think back to your last cruise, can you really envision anyone at an adjacent table & their appearance? It's doubtful unless they were dressed in a kilt or some hideous outfit. The average who isn't dressed entirely formally will hardly be noticed.

Think back to your last cruise, can you really envision anyone at an adjacent table & their appearance?

Sure I can.....blue jean coveralls with a solid red shirt.....same as they wore every other night during the 14 days, except for formal night, they took off their ball cap.

Thanks!

They just let you in with nice pants and a long sleeve shirt. I never feel out of place. You will here about mythical maitre d's that will bar people from the MDR. I would just ignore these comments.

If you are the rare bird that gets questioned just tell them the suit is in the lost luggage, although I firmly believe you will not be questioned. I am never questioned.

Thanks!

As you can see, you will get many different answers and what is right for one, may not be right for another.

The only personal experience that I can add is this:

DH spilled a pitcher of tea on his jacket right before leaving for the dining room on formal night. He chose to go without the jacket and just with collared shirt, dark pants and tie. No one said a word, including at the Past Passenger Reception with the Comodore, and we were admitted to the dining room. However, DH spent a lot of the night worrying about his lack of jacket and feeling slightly out of place.

So depending on your father's perception this may or may not be a good solution for him.

No matter what he chooses, I am sure that he will love Alaska.

They just let you in with nice pants and a long sleeve shirt. I never feel out of place. You will here about mythical maitre d's that will bar people from the MDR. I would just ignore these comments.

If you are the rare bird that gets questioned just tell them the suit is in the lost luggage, although I firmly believe you will not be questioned. I am never questioned.

I have actually encountered the "mythical" maitre d'Hotel, on my Royal Princess Caribbean Calypso voyage from 12/8-12/23/08! :eek: And he did indeed turn folks away from the MDR on formal nights suggesting the Bistro, if they did not wish to dress to code. And yes... he even has a name (but not my place to include it), but he is from Italy. :) Sorry I couldn't help myself! :D

While I would say it's hit or miss with the Maitre d' that will truly enforce the evening dress code, a long sleeve shirt with a sport coat and dress pants, would be more than acceptable! Although seeing the gentlemen dressed to the nines is always a treat! :D

To the OP, I hope your parents have a fabulous time!

I have actually encountered the "mythical" maitre d'Hotel, on my Royal Princess Caribbean Calypso voyage from 12/8-12/23/08! :eek: And he did indeed turn folks away from the MDR on formal nights suggesting the Bistro, if they did not wish to dress to code. And yes... he even has a name, Marco Mezzo from Italy. :) Sorry I couldn't help myself! :D

While I would say it's hit or miss with the Maitre d' that will truly enforce the evening dress code, a long sleeve shirt with a sport coat and dress pants, would be more than acceptable! Although seeing the gentlemen dressed to the nines is always a treat! :D

To the OP, I hope your parents have a fabulous time!

And on that ship, you could not wear shorts to the dining room for lunch.

And really, the cost of an additional bag in order to have everything you need for the cruise, does not add much to the overall cost of the trip. Also renting a tuxedo is very convenient. Your Dad will never have to wonder as he is on the way to the dining room "are they going to let me in?" or "if they do, will I look out of place?" You should have no stress while on vacation, isn't they why we take them? I hope they have a wonderful time.

Cheryl

"...Formal night means just that...formal night, no matter where you're traveling to...."

Agreed. IMO "formal night" means the atmosphere inside the ship. Not whether there are glaciers or palm trees outside the vessel, or if you wear shorts or long underwear during the day.

The thread was probably locked as formal wear is a very heated subject. I have been to Alaska 6 times and the suggested formal wear is exactly the way on all other itineries.
Exactly. Everyone seems to think their cruise is somehow "different" and the recommended/requested dress doesn't apply to them. Someone with no jacket or tie might be allowed into the dining room for dinner, or might be asked to go back and change. It's happened in spite of what others day. If he's allowed in, he'll be very much in the minority and out of place -- kind of like dressing super casual at an evening wedding where everyone else is dressed in suits and ties and the ladies in gowns.

I wouln't think of cruising without my tux or dinner jacket. However it is unlikely that a pax would be turned away without a suit or jacket. But that same person may feel very uncomfortable sitting at a table for 8 to 10 persons and the others were formally dressed...yes I have witnessed it.

Archived