Food on Galaxy/Celebrity in General

CajunLiner

Some of the posts have me concerned. The reviews show a consistent trend in decreasing food quality. Is this a real change in product due to policy change or just a fluctuation in quality? Is anything being done to fix it?

I am really exited about my first cruise, but my wife and I chose Celebrity specifically for its "foodie" reputation. While I feel my family is likely have a wonderful time, I was really looking forward to something special in the dining room. How may I find out more?

Justin

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until Galaxy Panama Canal Cruise

[This message was edited by CajunLiner on 04-07-04 at 08:50 PM.]

Hi-

We just returned from the 3/28 Mercury cruise and comparing the food to last year on the Mercury, I'd say it's declined but only slightly. We noticed little things like the presentation, veggie accompaniments really pared down/not as elaborate or heavily repeated. This was dining room only because we all felt the grill and cafe food was better than last year.

Was the food good? Yes! It just seemed to be a bit less impressive than last year. We are still delighted with Celebrity and are just waiting for 2005 schedules to book our next cruise!

k

Mercury 3/29/03

Mercury 3/28/04

time to book another cruise!

We were just on the Galaxy and we thought the food overall was very good although my wife found the fish dishes at dinner to be dry and overcooked most of the time. To a large extent it depends on what you expect. If you expect your dinner to be the equivilent of a $100 per person dinner in a fancy restaurant you will be disappointed. If you expect a good meal with good service you should come away very happy.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

You may want to take a look at some of the pictures in my album...Cruising the Mercury (the link is on this page)...I did take a number of pic's showing table settings and food display. We had a filet' one night that cut with a fork...each entree' was as good or better than the night before. I just can't imagine what the food/presentation was like before if this was a step down. I can only compare this Celebrity cruise with our one Princess cruise and while the food on Princess was nothing to sneeze at Celebrity won this round hands down and stomachs full!

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska

Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04

Mercury Cruise Pic's 3/13/04

http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100

We noticed NO appreciable difference in food quality comparing past cruises with recent cruises. 6 years in a row, both before, and after the Royal Carribean merger indicated to me (us) that the food was essentially the same. As good, or better recently compared to past. Most recent experience was Nov, 2003.

IMHO. Hope this provides appropriate feedback.

I just returned from the Horizon last month. I too was somewhat concerned due to the posts I had seen regarding declining food quality. I must say however, that the food was better than any of the previous 6 Celebrity cruises I have taken...dating back to 1998. There are always a few mis-steps along the way but if you receive a dish that doesn't suit you, send it back and get something else. The presentation and quality were outstanding!

With Compassion for others we build...we fight for peace and freedom

Hello,

As you probably read in my post my expereience on the Galaxy 3/19/04 was that the food quality

has changed slightly.

Now with that said, I still enjoyed the meals, I just thought the veal was tough (which can happen anywhere) and the lobster was overcooked.

The filet was very nice. I just think that when I was on the Millie last April and the Century before that, the food was better.

The presentation was lacking, in that there were no wrapped veggies or potato baskets, however, the side dishes this time were good.

I think you should go with an open mind and see for yourself. You may like everything and think I am out of my mind. Post your review when you get back and let us know.

Have a great cruise icon_smile.gif

Fran

newfimom

Galaxy 3/19/2004,Millie 4/02,Century 4/01, Ocean Princess 3/00, Grand Princess 4/99, Monarch 6/97, Century 9/96, Crown Princess 10/94

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=3>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=23>

</applet>

We have noticed that the quality and variety in the breakfast and particularly lunch buffet has been going down on each successive cruise over the last few years.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

Galaxy had lots of wonderful food selections. Most were not in the dining room but I enjoyed so much of what was offered it didn't ruin my cruise. Here are some of my favorites:

1. The soup, sandwich and salad bar by the indoor pool area. I was FORCED to use this when I returned too late for the regular buffet lunch. What a surprise. I discovered the seasoned fries they served with the sandwiches. Everything was outstanding here.

2. Sushi bar. Opened 6-10 pm every evening. I'm not a raw fish eater, so I stick to things like California Roll, Philadelphia Roll (called a Japanese Bagel on Galaxy) and Shrimp. Everything was delicious.

3. Afternoon tea. In the Buffet every afternoon was quite a spread. The mini croissants with salmon paste, ham & cheese, etc. were incredible.

4. Elegant tea. Only served once a week but the scones served with whipped cream and jam were amazing. As a Captains Club select member I was invited to an additional tea. Having 2 in one week is heaven. There is a dress code and a lot of people don't want to change at 4 pm but I think it's worth it.

5. The pearl shaped carrots served at the boarding lunch buffet. My friend and I are still talking about them. Don't know how they season them but the heck with the lobster (and yes, it was lousey), these babies made up form them

I didn't order room service but I heard raves about their clam chowder and chili.

It seems a shame that the dining room was not up to snuff, but overall the Galaxy more than satisfied me.

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;

Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00

Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04

Certainly everyone's perception and experience are different. Of our 4 cruises in the past 19 months, Infinity last August was probably the lowest food quality (although not really LOW, just the lowEST of the four) -- and Mercury last week was EXCELLENT -- the buffet quality had improved dramatically at breakfast and lunch, and the sandwich/salad station by the Palm Springs Pool was topnotch. Loved the custom pasta station too (available all but two days -- on Mexican buffet day, it was tacos; on Asian buffet day, it was some sort of rice-noodle stirfry).

trc

Millennium 12/12/04

Mercury 4/04, Infinity 8/03, Century 3/03 & 9/02

Hi CajunLiner,

I am sure you have had in the past even family members eating the same food at the same table and some loved it, some hated it.

Same is true with any meal/food anywhere.

Our first Celebrity cruise was on Horizon back in 91 or 92 and (7 Celebrity cruises later)the last one Millennium just last week. The food was and still is very good...if one does not like one thing get something different....there is so many choices.

There is only one thing definietely wrong with their food......it is making me bigger on every cruise.

Wes

22 cruises with 3 coming up and I say Princess 1st, HAL & Celebrity neck & neck for place, NCL gaining on them and RCL left at the gate. Carnival was scratched (except for the deli window and the pizza/calzone/caesar salad on the Destiny Class ships). icon_razz.gif

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;

Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00

Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04

To weigh in with another perspective, I first need to give you my frame of reference. We sailed on Constellation at Christmas/03 and 02 and just returned from summit on the 3/26/04 sailing. We've done a total of 12 cruises- 5 on Celebrity, 2 on RSSC to get a perspective of an up-scale line and 5 on assorted other cruise lines including Princess.

The food on the Summit was better than what we had at Christmas on Constellation. I noticed a real drop-off in food quality and presentation(not service) from December of 02 to December of 03 on Constellation and was concerned what I would find on the March Summit- but I was pleasantly surprised. It was clearly better than the December Constellation. I don't know if it was the chef or the quality was upgraded in that short a period of time but whatever, it somewhat restored my faith in Celebrity's food.This was across the board including the main dining room, the buffet, the specialty restaurant, the poolside grill and room service.

I would rate Celebrity's food as the best of the mass-market lines but clearly not as good as RSSC. Princess(December/01) was not in the ball-park with Celebrity and was the worst food I've had on a cruise. In fact it was so bad I won't go on another Princess cruise.

I'm sorry, I don't know what line RSSC is...but our 2 Celebrity cruises have had wonderful food and we're looking forward to our third next week! I especially like the dining room for lunch...such a treat to get something special for lunch rather than just the sandwiches, soup or salads I get at home.

I disagree with cruisepup and agree with bookman. I think Princess's food has declined significantly over the last five years (6 cruises). I just got off a HAL cruise taken back to back with an Infinity cruise and the difference in food quality was staggering. HAL's dining room food was so awful that I will probably not use them again. Celebrity, overall, is the best of the mid-priced lines (17 cruises).

Warmwinds, RCCS is Radisson. They are known in the industry as part of the "Luxury Lines", where Celebrity is known as "Premium" in the Mass Market.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Thanks Lois and Donna, just found out what was RSSC was on another thread...I've heard it just called Radisson, was confused by the SS part (but now it makes sense with the Seven Seas)...yes I'll be sure to report back with my opinion of the food this trip.

Justin,

Since I started reading cruise boards on the net in 1996, people have been complaining about the declining quality of the food on cruises. In our experience on Celebrity, the food in 2001 (Millie) was better than the food in 1997 (Mercury). The food on both Celebrity ships was far better than the food on the Splendour last year or on Carnival the year before.

Memories are really hard to compete with and I think that's the major reason for the perceived decline in Celebrity's food. (There is that matter of budget cuts, but I think it's a distant 2nd.)

However, I see that you are from Louisiana. You better bring along a bottle of Tabasco. icon_cool.gif I've seldom had food on a cruise that would make it past the sous chef to the table of a good New Orleans restaurant.

Remember, they are serving 1900 for dinner, not 50. They just can't compete with a small land based restaurant. Celebrity has really good banquet food, but it ain't "foodie" food.

X does have a wonderful cheese selection, some excellent baked goods, and sauces from scratch, not canned broth. Most of the meals are pretty good, but nothing compares to the BBQ shrimp at Emerils or even Mr B's - or a family crawfish boil in Plaquemines Parish.

Having said all that, I hope we get a good executive chef on the Galaxy next year. I'll be having TexMex in Galveston before boarding.

Happy Eating!

Lisa <--- travels 3 times a year to New Orleans for the food and the family

Archived