Changes from D1 to D2 on Jewel and Brilliance!

I just learned that some of the previously catagory D1 on both JOS and BOS are being changed to D2, a catagory that currently does not exist on those ships. The really curious thing is that some of the most popular cabins are included as I know 1102 and 1104 on JOS for the Sept. 4, 2010 sailing are now classed as D2. On the website, the D1 purple color is still shown for those (and other) cabins, not the bright green of D2's. Yet the price is for a D2 rate. I was looking for an aft cabin and my TA had said none were available, as she was looking at D1. I later found out on my roll-call board that there were changes afoot. So, I now have 1102 booked for the D2 rate, which is $40 pp less than the D1 rate! I looked at Serenade for after April, 2010,(this was supposedly the date after which some changing of catagories was to take place) and did not see this change on that ship so far. Couldn't find anything for comparison on Radiance.

I looked at Serenade for after April, 2010,(this was supposedly the date after which some changing of catagories was to take place) and did not see this change on that ship so far. Couldn't find anything for comparison on Radiance.

Serenade sailings after April 2010 haven't gone on sale yet.

I just learned that some of the previously catagory D1 on both JOS and BOS are being changed to D2, a catagory that currently does not exist on those ships. The really curious thing is that some of the most popular cabins are included as I know 1102 and 1104 on JOS for the Sept. 4, 2010 sailing are now classed as D2. On the website, the D1 purple color is still shown for those (and other) cabins, not the bright green of D2's. Yet the price is for a D2 rate. I was looking for an aft cabin and my TA had said none were available, as she was looking at D1. I later found out on my roll-call board that there were changes afoot. So, I now have 1102 booked for the D2 rate, which is $40 pp less than the D1 rate! I looked at Serenade for after April, 2010,(this was supposedly the date after which some changing of catagories was to take place) and did not see this change on that ship so far. Couldn't find anything for comparison on Radiance.

This is interesting ..thanks. We have a D1 booked on Brilliance so I went and had a look....it seems that D2s are double occupancy only......

Our hump cabin is still priced as a D1 but the double occupancy one 2 doors down is now a D2 ...that means I am paying more for the 1st/2nd persons in addition to paying the 3rd person rate!!:mad: I'm afraid I'm finding that really annoying!! I thought it was location that determined the category.

This is interesting ..thanks. We have a D1 booked on Brilliance so I went and had a look....it seems that D2s are double occupancy only......

Our hump cabin is still priced as a D1 but the double occupancy one 2 doors down is now a D2 ...that means I am paying more for the 1st/2nd persons in addition to paying the 3rd person rate!!:mad: I'm afraid I'm finding that really annoying!! I thought it was location that determined the category.

No, occupancy (and connecting) also determines the rate. By doing this, they can adjust the rate upwards when they see that 3rds are filling up faster than doubles (or just demand more to begin with). Since those cabins are in shorter supply it makes sense that they would try to maximize profit there (unfortunately for you and me).

Since lots of families are booking it would help them for us to be paying more for category, and 3rds. Pretty soon we will just be booking another cabin instead of paying for the 3rd! (and I'm sure that's what they want)

For families staying in a GS for ex., on one sailing I looked at, it was about the same to get another (inside) cabin rather than book the 3rds and 4ths into the suite.

No, occupancy (and connecting) also determines the rate. By doing this, they can adjust the rate upwards when they see that 3rds are filling up faster than doubles (or just demand more to begin with). Since those cabins are in shorter supply it makes sense that they would try to maximize profit there (unfortunately for you and me).

Since lots of families are booking it would help them for us to be paying more for category, and 3rds. Pretty soon we will just be booking another cabin instead of paying for the 3rd! (and I'm sure that's what they want)

For families staying in a GS for ex., on one sailing I looked at, it was about the same to get another (inside) cabin rather than book the 3rds and 4ths into the suite.

Hi Marci:)....that does make sense...'though it doesn't make it any less annoying!....If we could get M's older brother to come with us then I wouldn't hesitate to book them in their own cabin .....I feel that is much better value for money than paying a premium PLUS a 3rd/4th rate and all squashing into one cabin ...but...that's just too much £££ for just M to have a single occupancy cabin on a peak season Med cruise.

While it is a higher priced category...there is at least one potential benefit. Those of us that are only traveling as 2 will be less likely to book a room that holds 3/4 people in it. Thus ensuring that those that need the extra berths have them available.

I know I was considering certain cabins for 2010 that, in the old system, were D1s and had an extra bed....now I am likely to take a D2 instead. Leaving the D1 open to those that need it.

While it is a higher priced category...there is at least one potential benefit. Those of us that are only traveling as 2 will be less likely to book a room that holds 3/4 people in it. Thus ensuring that those that need the extra berths have them available.

I know I was considering certain cabins for 2010 that, in the old system, were D1s and had an extra bed....now I am likely to take a D2 instead. Leaving the D1 open to those that need it.

Somewhat true: might prevent 2's from booking a triple but I just tried booking a quad room (I wanted the location) for 3 and they would not let me do it.

I booked 9256 for the Brilliance in 2010 and am paying the D2 rate for it. It doesn't make sense to me either that the aft cabins - the one's generally booked first - now cost less, but I'm happy to be saving a little money.

I'm surprised that they would let 2 book a higher occupancy room ....I tried to get one on Celebrity solstice (for location) and they wouldn't let me book it.

I booked 9256 for the Brilliance in 2010 and am paying the D2 rate for it. It doesn't make sense to me either that the aft cabins - the one's generally booked first - now cost less, but I'm happy to be saving a little money.

There is probably more money to be made volume-wise by assigning those high-occupancy cabins a higher price category. Maybe they will go for your idea though and make all the big balcony cabins their own separate category. Surcharges for afts and humps is only a revision away.;)

Hump and aft cabins for 2 are included in the D2s now so it seems that in reclassifying (sp?) they haven't taken location into account at all ...just occupancy. Seems odd to me too ... I'm sure if they had kept the premium cabins as D1s people would still rush to book them.

Interesting to know that it is an occupancy thing. Since it is always just the two of us, and we always get afts, I have never paid attention to occupancy. Thanks for the info. That explains why these D2's are at various locations.

Archived