Question for Druke or SteveBruin

pacmom

Need some help. I recall reading that in one of the awards given out that a Viking XPRS ferry was placed in the small ship cruise awards and actually won something. Thought it was travel leisure, but can't remember. Can anyone help my addlepatedness. Thanks Pat

Need some help. I recall reading that in one of the awards given out that a Viking XPRS ferry was placed in the small ship cruise awards and actually won something. Thought it was travel leisure, but can't remember. Can anyone help my addlepatedness. Thanks Pat

Here you go:

http://www.cruisebusiness.com/cbr_old/news.php?u=20090204184715

>>4.2.2009: Was Condé Nast Traveler misled? Viking Line's ropax ferry voted as one of the best cruise ships in the world

The readers of the prestigious Condé Nast Traveler vote every year for the best cruise ships in the world. This year, in its medium-size category, there is among the top 5 vessels in the world quite a surprising ship: Viking Line's Viking XPRS. What makes this interesting is that Viking XPRS is not a cruise ship but rather a ropax-ferry which trades twice a day between capital cities Helsinki and Tallinn.

The publisher states on its website that Over 11,000 savvy Condé Nast Traveler readers rated more than 400 ships according to the highest seafaring standards to arrive at this select list of 90 top ships. Condé Nast Traveler readers rated 418 ships on a 100-point scale. Only ships that received a required minimum number of responses were eligible to be included in these rankings. Each ship was judged on seven criteria. Interestingly, Viking XPRS took a top spot in its category on shore excursions however, it offers none.

Viking XPRS was rated better medium-size ship, than any of those of Holland America Line, for example.<<

Bruin Steve. Thanks so much. There is a poster on another board who is never wrong and claims never to have seen this. So as soon as I learn to put all of this in a reply, I'll post it. My teacher is still sleeping--March Madness is upon us.:D Pat

...Interestingly, Viking XPRS took a top spot in its category on shore excursions however, it offers none.

I saw a Conde Nast survey in which Oceania was rated higher for it's children's programs than Celebrity...:rolleyes:

Either the passengers who are doing the ratings are clueless, or they are deliberately skewing the results out of puckish humor. Reminds me of some of the responses I have made to exit pollers on election day...:eek:

What makes this interesting is that Viking XPRS is not a cruise ship but rather a ropax-ferry which trades twice a day between capital cities Helsinki and Tallinn.
In 1999, we sailed from Stockholm to Helsinki overnight aboard the Silja Serenade. We liked it, while it is not traditional cruising, it is interesting in its own ways.

Just curious, why cruise lines (at least some of them) will not experiment with the Silja model, but instead of its being a ferry (between two fixed points overnight repetitively), have "on-going" itineraries of seven to fifteen days, and totally "exclusive" (you buy your own food and drinks in on board shops and nothing is included other than your cabin and its maintenace, just like hotels on land). You pay the day by day fare, with discounts for increasing lengths of consecutive days.

That model will be totally different from traditional cruising, but it may be beneficial in its own ways!

I knew if I posted my question on this board, I would get a good answer and not be "hung out to dry". It is truely amazing how much people rely on polls and not real experiences by real people.

Don, never thought about people skewing the results. Pat

That model will be totally different from traditional cruising, but it may be beneficial in its own ways

Meow,

Where have you been? That model has been tried and retried endlessly.

The most famous (perhaps infamous?) example was what a Diners Club Subsidiary (Fugazi Travel) did to the Independence after American Export finished with her:

connie-indi-brochure.jpgIndependence08.jpg

They called it "Go-Go Cruising" (it was the late '60's after all) and all of the food was ala carte. It lasted 9 months. In case you are interested, those eyes inside the Sunburst are supposedly those of Jean Harlow, who was experiencing a resurgence of popularity at that time.

Interestingly, the "pay as you go" concept has reared its' head yet again, recently with the advent of EasyCruise.

According to their PR dept:

For a very low per-day rate, EasyCruise will offer a place to sleep, access to the ship's onboard amenities, and transportation

http://easycruise.com/

Unfortunately, after about a year in business, Easycruise was forced to admit defeat and raise their fares to include at least some meals and daily steward service.

photo-of-easy-cruise-ship.jpgeasyCruise-Life-shi_438251a.jpg

Say what you will about these pay by the day cruise ships, but the owners certainly seem to enjoy bright paint schemes.

easycruise_672837c.jpgInside and out!

Archived