ULU Knives - Have they been discussed here?

Two from Virginia

Has anyone bought ULU knives while in ALaska? Can you recommend what port is the best to buy them in? There is a website www.ulufactory.com and it seems they are geared more toward tourists.

Do the cruise ships have restrictions on bringing these aboard?

What time of things are for sale in the cruise ship stores?

Thanks.

My parents bought us all Ulus when they went to Alaska. They were told they had to ship them because they weren't able to bring them on the ship. There was a person who posted on the Carnival site that they got theirs confiscated when they tried to bring it on the ship.

A few years age brought back about 15 of them for gifts. We were sailing on Celebrity and had no problem bringing them on the ship. We purchased them in Ketchikan. We were on one of the last cruises of the season and got them for half price in Ketchikan.

I was on the Oosterdam last August to Alaska, bought one as a gift and had no problems bringing it back on board, or in my luggage I checked at the airline. I was more worried about the airlines.

Sorry, I don't recall which port I got it, but I saw them in every port! :)

Ketchikan has been the least expensive for the Ulu Factory sets in my experience. Less than what they are advertised for at the factory itself. They are made in Alaska and are quite durable if taken care of. My Ulu Factory set gets almost daily use. Be aware that 'made in china' sets are abundant and they are cheap for a reason. With the ulu's, you get what you pay for.

This company has some beautiful knives which are a little more unique.

http://www.alaskanulu.com/

Search this board. You'll find many threads with ulu discussions. :)

The security policy on ulus is different for each cruiseline and even changed mid-summer last year with Carnival. The best bet is to talk to the front desk or better yet Security on your ship.

Tongass Trading in KTN had reasonable ulu prices. We saw some unique collector-grade ulus at the Weekend Market in ANC.

Entering security at ANC airport their contraband poster includes an ulu...probably happens a lot, I can see room for mistakes in the last minute packing frenzy!

When I went on Carnival's first cruise out of Whittier last year, Ulus were not allowed and were confiscated and eventually sent back to me quite a while later. However, I read that the rule was changed later. Like a previous poster mentioned, it is best to check with the cruiseline.

As for the types of things sold on the ship, Carnival had a variety of Carnival merchandise (T-shirts, caps, sweatshirts, female PJ sets, kids stuff, candy, etc.), watches, perfumes, jewelry, Alaska souvenirs (totem poles, jade, etc.). However, I would not recommend buying Alaska souvenirs onboard; I found them to be more expensive than in the ports.

Thanks for the info. I definitely do not want "made in China"

The Ulu Factory in Anchorage is a cool place to visit and watch them manufacture the ulu. They are well made and make nice gifts.

As for it being touristy....everything in Alaska is touristy unless you have loads of time to spend becoming a native.

We saw the 'China' ulus everywhere...$3.99, I think. Cheesy, to say the least. In fact, most of the souvenirs that you find in summertime Alaska come from China...caveat emptor!

Archived