Potty Seat

virtuigs

so is my daughter (2.5) but if needed I just hold her up, I don't lug the seat around wherever I go, so I wasn't planning on bringing it. I think they do sell fold up seats if it's really neccessary. What do you do in public places?

so is my daughter (2.5) but if needed I just hold her up, I don't lug the seat around wherever I go, so I wasn't planning on bringing it. I think they do sell fold up seats if it's really neccessary. What do you do in public places?

I'd like to bring the Baby Bjorn potty seat, but I do have a little fold up Sesame Street seat if that might work.

She hasn't had to use a public restroom yet. I keep a Fisher Price portable potty in my van. She goes in the van. It's easy and clean. :)

OK for my first child (my oldest), yep, I brought that potty seat right along. And I brought the bath tub, the booster seat/high chair, the pack n play....you get the point. ;)

With my 2nd, that poor child, she didn't get any of that...lol. :)

So at age 2, 3 and 4...yes her little butt practically falls into the toilet, but I don't bring the seat. At first, I would hold her up. Then it got to the point where "I do myself" took over. (Little Miss Independence :p )

So if you have space, and you can fit the potty seat, sure go ahead and bring it. But if you'll have to pay for an extra piece of luggage on the plane (ie, $50 or more) then leave it at home. ;)

I bring the folding potty seat - and I bring a step stool (since it's hollow underneath it doesn't take up any room in the suitcase - I just put stuff inside it). I also bring the portable potty for ports so we don't have to stop what we're doing to look for a potty in a strange place. I'll sure be glad to get to travel lighter in a few years.

Best,

Mia

I'd like to bring the Baby Bjorn potty seat, but I do have a little fold up Sesame Street seat if that might work.

She hasn't had to use a public restroom yet. I keep a Fisher Price portable potty in my van. She goes in the van. It's easy and clean. :)

So when you are at dinner or a playground or an indoor play area or wherever, you just go back to the car to use the bathroom? I guess I just figure that life is life and she'll need to learn to use the bathroom in public someday, so I never did any of that. On the ship, will you leave what you are doing to go back to your room for her to use the bathroom?

It can be a really long way back to the cabin--you may want to get her used to going without the "potty seat"---you can hold her up, if needed!

I agree. We taught our son that way and he's never had a problem in public restrooms. The trick we used was to put him on the potty backwards (facing the wall). You have to take their pants all the way off, but it's far easier than carrying around another thing.

I bring the folding potty seat - and I bring a step stool (since it's hollow underneath it doesn't take up any room in the suitcase - I just put stuff inside it). I also bring the portable potty for ports so we don't have to stop what we're doing to look for a potty in a strange place. I'll sure be glad to get to travel lighter in a few years.

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

This is a great idea. Thanks for your input!

She's never had to go to the bathroom while we are at dinner or at a playground, but yes - if she did we would go back to the van. This is how we do it currently and it works very well for us.

My daughter has SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) so change and transitions are difficult for her. I plan to stick to what she's used to if I can.

From the above posts, it sounds like I can! :)

So when you are at dinner or a playground or an indoor play area or wherever, you just go back to the car to use the bathroom? I guess I just figure that life is life and she'll need to learn to use the bathroom in public someday, so I never did any of that. On the ship, will you leave what you are doing to go back to your room for her to use the bathroom?

I agree. We taught our son that way and he's never had a problem in public restrooms. The trick we used was to put him on the potty backwards (facing the wall). You have to take their pants all the way off, but it's far easier than carrying around another thing.

Yep - we do the same and it works really well!

We have the Kalencom Potette- bought it on amazon.com. VERY tiny.. And you know it will be clean. I am more worried about cleanliness and the ability to find a potty on excursions.. Fits easily in diaper bag. Weighs 8 oz.($10)

Here is a pic- from the website.. not my son. :)

51uJA0KKeCL._AA280_.jpg

When my girl was that young, I bought a foldable seat (can't remember what it was called). She had fun "breaking in" various new places such as the plane's toilet as well as the cruise ship one (you may have to shoo them out of the bathroom before hitting that button so as not to scare the munchkin).

We have the Kalencom Potette- bought it on amazon.com. VERY tiny.. And you know it will be clean. I am more worried about cleanliness and the ability to find a potty on excursions.. Fits easily in diaper bag. Weighs 8 oz.($10)

Here is a pic- from the website.. not my son. :)

51uJA0KKeCL._AA280_.jpg

I just ordered this this morning from amazon...did you buy liners or use other bags?? My little guy is only 21 months and uses his little potty a few times a day, I wasn't really going to bring one but he has a morning routine(if you know what i mean) and I'd hate to disrupt it while on vacation, it might make him be off schedule for the whole day. :rolleyes:

plus it's over 2 months away so maybe he'll be using it more by then. I like that you can use it on its own or on top of regular toilet seats!

I bought liners for simplicity sake.

However I have read that you can recycle plastic grocery bags,and use them with a maxi pad stick to the bottom for absorbancy as well..

It is simpler with the pre made liners though.. and you know they will fit correctly...

Hope you like it. For $10, it is a great little contraption!

Yeah, I brought our Baby Bjorn potty seat and a step stool. I just made sure they were both really clean and then I packed around and in them. If you do it right, they don't take up much room. I haven't found a foldable one I like yet, but if I do, I'd be happy to bring on on excursions. For out-and-about I just hold my kids, but that's not my ideal.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on this thread I wound up buying the On The Go Potette. I opened it up tonight and am really impressed. I wish I'd bought more refills when I bought the potty though. I really like the handles that are designed to fasten to the seat. Normally with potty seats I buy generic bags on my own and use maxipads for absorption, but I was impressed with the way the seat and bags were designed to work together. So they sucked me into buying the refills.

I'll still have the Bjorn seat and stool for in the cabin. But when we're out and about, I'll be carrying the Potette with me. Very nice product. I like that it's oval and not round like some badly designed folding seats are. I haven't put my daughter on it yet, but I can tell she'll fit.

I'll share our potty problem on our last cruise. Daughter had just turned 3 and was in the process of potty training. In public she used public seats fine by just holding on, but usually did #2 at home where we had a potty seat. I figured we would be fine on the cruise.

Well it takes her a long time to go #2 and she just couldn't hold on that long without having a potty seat. She didn't want to go in her pull-up in front of us. She ended up getting constipated for 5 days, giving her a high fever and she was miserable. We even had to miss one of our excursion days.

If we had brought our potty seat I think she would have gone on the potty like at home and been fine. The flushing noise did kind of scare her too! She is 4 now and still uses her potty seat at home, but doesn't need one in public restrooms. She is very skinny for her age.

I bought one of those fold up ones and my boy hated it. It slipped around, didn't feel right and in short, never used it.

I would definitely bring a potty seat - for fear the above would happen. My boy will be 3 when we cruise and I will definitely bring mine.

• 1 month later...

The Kalenkom Pottete seat does not slip on the regular toilet seat. I was very happy with it. That is all we used on our entire 7 day cruise. Oh yes and it has a little thing in the front that kinda helps from spraying all over...but than again I had to teach my son how to not spray over it. Great little potty seat

• 4 years later...

Archived