CCL to Alaska in May 2010 - Fun, Fun!

anamanxs

What week in May 2010 would work best for everyone?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What week in May 2010 would work best for everyone?

• May 11 - May 18
    • May 18 - May 25
    • May 25 - June 1

Hi,

Is anyone interested in a group tour for a May sailing of CCL to Alaska? I thought a group tour from Cruise Critic would be a great way to launch CCL new schedule and they have really good rates in May. Let me know so I know what everyone thinks so I know where to procede from here. I have contacted Cruise Critic and they are waiting to hear from me.

I know we could make it a blast.

Okay, I really don't have a pref for the date, so we can let the group decide.

I called my PVP and got the ports and things, so come on over and join the thread.

Nice to meet you, I'm Dennis.

Hi Dennis, I'm Annette

I don't mind joining forces; I had already wrote Cruise critic last week to see if they were interested. They are supposed to be getting me group prices. This is the orginial thread where some showed interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=947492&highlight=

They suggested I throw out a thread to see who is interested, which is what I was doing. I would have to go in May, due to employment issues. Don't know if that would be a problem for some or not.

I think this could be made into a really fun cruise!

I spoke to Laura at Cruise Critic and she is contacting Johna to get prices and the details worked out. She said that we could get better prices in May and September. I am waiting to hear what can be worked out, and will post as soon as I hear something.

Thanks for visiting and I look fording to going North to Alaska, lol and having a GREAT time no matter what date we decide one.

Hi Dennis, I'm Annette

I don't mind joining forces; I had already wrote Cruise critic last week to see if they were interested. They are supposed to be getting me group prices. This is the orginial thread where some showed interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=947492&highlight=

They suggested I throw out a thread to see who is interested, which is what I was doing. I would have to go in May, due to employment issues. Don't know if that would be a problem for some or not.

I think this could be made into a really fun cruise!

Looks like we're going to have two then. LOL

Most of my folks want June/July, but here May looks to be the way to go.

I guess we can work together and help each other out along the way.

Good to meet you!

Dennis

I have been looking into an Alaska cruise to surprise my DH for our 10th Anniversary. May or early June works best for me! I've read in some reviews that you'll see more wildlife during this timeframe as well. Hope that's true! I'll be watching this board for more info!

Hi,

I looked the temps to see what the range is since there was questions on that. Here is what I found.

May 55.3

June 61.6

July 64.0

July does look to have the most rain, temp are about 5 degrees apart. With them starting to go down after that. I was in Canada in April 2 years ago around Lake Superior and it was in the 40 - 50th and it was much warmer than the 40th in VA. We were right on the Lake it was beautiful (Thunder Bay area). We hiked and went to several water falls, jacket weather but not heavy coat at the falls.

Just another bit on the weather. Quoted from ALaskatrekker "Your best bet, if you desire sunny, clear skies and not-too-cold conditions, seems to be in the late spring or early summer. From midsummer into the fall, clouds predominate, and are quickly followed by an increase in precipitation. The weather tends to clear by the winter, but it also turns quite cold, or downright frigid, depending on what part of the state you are visiting. Outbreaks of extreme cold and blizzardlike weather do not occur as frequently as you might think, but they do occur. Along with the wide variations in the climate, visitors to Alaska can enjoy the unusual length of daylight during the late spring and early summer. A trip to the Arctic north can even give you a glimpse of the midnight sun. And, with clear skies, a glance to the north should give you a glimpse of the beautiful Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights)."

Here is May 11, 2010; Cruise Itinerary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tue Seattle, Washington -- 4:00 pm

Wed At Sea -- --

Thu Cruise Tracy Arm -- --

Fri Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 9:00 pm

Sat Juneau, Alaska 7:00 am 3:00 pm

Sun Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 am 1:00 pm

Mon Victoria, British Columbia 7:30 am 11:59 pm

Tue Seattle, Washington 7:00 am --

It looks like Tracy Arm is the only glacier-viewing opportunity on this itinerary.

I just wanted to point out that I've heard of numerous instances where in May there was too much ice for ships to venture far enough into Tracy Arm to see the glaciers. So if it's important for you to see glaciers from the ship you might be disappointed (you can go visit Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau but it's not the same thing seeing them as you are sailing through a fjord.)

Enjoy your cruise, Alaska is amazing and I hope to return sometime soon!

Hi Stave & Jen,

I see you are on the Pride 2 weeks after me. Are you from the East coast? I am in VA.

Yes we are from Maryland. Work in Baltimore City :D

Cant wait to be able to cruise out of Baltimore Port

The poll is now up and at this time the rates for May 11 - 18th are the same as the rates for the May 18 -25th. I just spoke to Carnival and I do have their posted rates so I will know when we get our group rate how it compares. May 25 - June 1 is about $40 higher inside and $70 higher for oceanview. The rate continues to go up with the summer until August 3rd and then it goes down a little each week; the highest rates being mid July. The child discount is only about $150 off at this time.

So, we will need to wait and see what Cruise Critic tells us, there are at least 3 groups trying to book group tours at this time. The more pictures and research I do the more excited I am.

My trip to Thunder Bay and seeing Lake Superior doesn't even compare to the beauty of Alaska, I think this area has so much to offer - it will takes several trips to even scratch the surface!

Hi All,

I spoke to Johna earlier today and we just like all the other threads need to just wait until Cruise Critic gets back to us; and that it usually takes about a week. But the group price will be lower than the posted rates right now. I priced an inside and it was less than $450 and an ocean view was about $100 more for the first two weeks of May; (Don't know if we can say prices on here). Which will make this a really reasonable cruise to Alaska, which will leave us more money for shore trips and plane tickets. It looks like a lot of us will be coming from the East Coast.

I think we need to have some really fun activities since we will have 16 or so hours of sunlight pe day. That will a lot of time to fill. I am open to suggestions and once we are official we can think of committee and see what everyone would like to do or not do. It is your choice of course.

It is a Tuesday to Tuesday cruise so I know some of us may be coming to Seattle over the weekend. Nice time to tour Seattle before we cruise. I will checking out what they have to offer in Seattle as well.

These look like some interesting tours in Juneau.

Juneau City & Glacier Tour

Learn about Juneau’s past and present as your motorcoach takes you through downtown Juneau, Alaska’s capital city. Stop at DIPAC Salmon Hatchery to learn about the life cycle of the salmon. The tour continues on to Mendenhall Glacier where you’ll have time to view all the exhibits at the US Forest Service Visitor Center and Observatory, walk the trail to photo point, and just take in the magnificence of this glacier situated in Juneau’s back yard.

Tour time: 2.5 hours

Juneau City and Glacier Tour: $40.00 Adult, $20.00 Child 12-under

Juneau Goldpanning Tour

Follow the route taken by Joe Juneau and Richard Harris in their search for gold more than 100 years ago. Try your hand at panning, with a promise of "guaranteed gold in every pan."

Tour time: 1.5 hours

Tour Price $45.00, Child $30.00 (12 & under)

Juneau Gold Mining & History Tour

Relive Juneau's mining heritage on this one-of-a-kind tour of the remains of what was once the world's largest producing gold mine. View displays of mining equipment, then venture into the 360-foot long tunnel to learn more about the mining lifestyle.

Tour time: 2.5 hours

Tour Price: $64.00, Child $35.00

Mount Rogers Tramway

This unforgettable adventure begins at the cruise ship dock in downtown Juneau where you board a tramcar adorned in colorful Tlingit artwork that provides an exhilarating ride through the Southeast Alaska rainforest to the 1800 foot level of Mount Roberts. Experience one of the most expansive and beautiful views offered in all Alaska, from the Chilkat Mountains to the north, down the Gastineau Channel to the lands and waterways of the south, west to Douglas Island, and east into Silver Bow Basin where gold was discovered near the head of Gold Creek in 1880.

Ticket Prices*

Adult: $27.00

Child 6-12: $13.50

Child 5 & Under: FREE

*Prices include local tax.

Tickets allow all day unlimited rides and include viewing of Seeing Daylight and the Juneau Raptor Center's live Bald Eagle exhibit. Allow a minimum of one hour for a complete tramway experience.

Welcome, Hope to hear something from Laura soon. What a Great Anniversary trip, I have a early May BD so I will be celebrating late. I have never been to Alaska so I will be doing lots of researching and posting as I find out information. The pictures on some of the other sites are out this world!

We seem to be split pretty evenly on the weeks in May. One thing to consider is that we will have Memorial Day weekend in the of the weeks and I do not know what that will do to the flight prices. The poll is set up where you can select more than one week that you are available. It looks like the June group has settled on June 22, hopefully some of the ones on that thread will join us if they selected May in Dennis's pole.

Waiting for the date to fix my countdown ship. Anyone on this thread been Alaska before?

We are still waiting to here from Laura has are the other two groups. The Spirt looks to be a great Gal, and since she is in Dry Dock now that means she will still be all prettied up for us. She is in the same class as the Pride and I will be sailing on the Pride in a little over 30 days; once again. It is a wonderful ship that is easy to find your way around.

Our poll shows that we are kind of spread out on the voting. I believe the first two weeks will come in at a lower rate. Laura will have the final say in which weeks she will let us have. I had orginially asked for May 11, 2010 since it was the sort of the maiden voyage of the Spirit doing a round trip out of Seattle.

The hardest part is the waiting, but it will be well worth it; as we go North to Alaska!

While we are waiting I thought it would be great to find out a little bit about Alaska. One of our stops will be in Ketchikan.

Ketchikan serves as Alaska’s southern most port of call for the majority of Inside Passage cruises. Visitors can tour the Tongass Historical Museum, which offers exhibits of traditional native culture, a history of the fishing industry and an example of a timber camp bunkhouse. A major center for sport fishing, opportunities abound for fishing from shore or aboard one of many charter boats. Visit the world’s largest collection of totem poles in Saxman and Totem Bight State Park, just outside of town. Or glimpse Ketchikan’s frontier days at "Dolly’s House," a former brothel located downtown.

From Ketchikan, an excursion boat or plane can take you into the 2.3 million acre Misty Fiords National Monument. The coastal rain forests and glacial fjords shelter many species of land animals and sea life.

Four distinct groups of people shaped the history of the community of Wrangell – Russians, the English, Americans and the Tlingit. While in Wrangell, learn more about the area’s history by visiting Chief Shakes Island & Tribal House or by exploring Petroglyph Beach and searching for prehistoric rock carvings. When prospectors first came to the area, they sought out the "gateway to the Stikine," a river that now offers wildlife, glaciers and hot springs.

Archived