Notes on the Constellation

wavelets

We just returned from the 3/6-3/16 sailing of the Constellation. This was our 4th year in a row sailing on her. We love the ship and alway have a great time. We were booked in a CC cabin, as we always do, but I did notice some cost cutting efforts this voyage. In regards to the cabin, everything was top notch except the flowers in the stateroom were tight buds that didn't open till the 7th day and the rose in the bathroom died on the 2nd day and was never replaced. Usually in CC room service breakfst is a production involving tableclothes, fresh flowers and a set up on the verandah. This year the tray was just dropped off with no setup (and we tipped!). Usually, one night during the cruise we get a small container of Cova chocolates, not this year. The buffett was OK, but several mornings it was very difficult to find a coffee cup. They have eliminated the position of the person who hands you your tray with silverware and plate, now that's on you. The didn't have the "midnight bites" in all the public lounges, I think you could get them in the Cova Cafe. My husband enjoys bleu cheese stuffed olives in his martini and every other year he could get them. He was told they weren't available on this trip. If you had never been on Celebrity, you wouldn't know what you are missing. Don't get me wrong, we love Celebrity and are scheduled again for next winter, but I just found it interesting.

Usually, one night during the cruise we get a small container of Cova chocolates, not this year.

The celebrity contractual ties with Cova have ended. There will be a name change for the cafe but the only good chocolates on board have become part of cruising history.:(

We just returned from the 3/6-3/16 sailing of the Constellation. This was our 4th year in a row sailing on her. We love the ship and alway have a great time. We were booked in a CC cabin, as we always do, but I did notice some cost cutting efforts this voyage. In regards to the cabin, everything was top notch except the flowers in the stateroom were tight buds that didn't open till the 7th day and the rose in the bathroom died on the 2nd day and was never replaced. Usually in CC room service breakfst is a production involving tableclothes, fresh flowers and a set up on the verandah. This year the tray was just dropped off with no setup (and we tipped!). Usually, one night during the cruise we get a small container of Cova chocolates, not this year. The buffett was OK, but several mornings it was very difficult to find a coffee cup. They have eliminated the position of the person who hands you your tray with silverware and plate, now that's on you. The didn't have the "midnight bites" in all the public lounges, I think you could get them in the Cova Cafe. My husband enjoys bleu cheese stuffed olives in his martini and every other year he could get them. He was told they weren't available on this trip. If you had never been on Celebrity, you wouldn't know what you are missing. Don't get me wrong, we love Celebrity and are scheduled again for next winter, but I just found it interesting.

We too were on this sailing in CC. Cabin was fine but the refrigerator did not work the entire cruise. We were told they didn't have the parts to fix it and all cabins were taken so there was no way they could make a switch. We learned towards the end of the cruise from a steward we knew from prior cruises that his area had vacancies (this just came up in general conversation and the refrigerator was never mentioned). We didn't pursue this and wouldn't want to cause our old friend any problems.

Although the quantity of flowers in our cabin was fewer than in the past they were healthy, in bloom and changed several times.

Breakfast on out balcony was brought by our steward who set the table, including table cloth ... but no flowers as we've had in the past.

This was our first Celebrity cruise in 2 years and we thought the food has slipped.

All in all we enjoyed the cruise.

I think the chocolates were the welcome amenity for Captain's Club members. We always got them. Did you get something else instead?

Hi Royalcruz !

I'm pretty sure that you are correct about it being a Captains Club gift... but as C2C noted, the relationship with Cova has ended. I suspect the Cova name will eventually disappear. You no longer recieve the wonderful box of Cova chocolates. I do not believe it's been replaced with anything else, though I will check it out when I sail on Constellation next week.

I guess ouir cabin steward wasn't into setting the table! In regards to the Captain's Club gift, we got a large (too large) heavy canvas tote bag. None CC passangers got the usual thinner smaller tote, which I actually prefer. It's great for dragging around damp beach towels while on shore.

I guess ouir cabin steward wasn't into setting the table! In regards to the Captain's Club gift, we got a large (too large) heavy canvas tote bag. None CC passangers got the usual thinner smaller tote, which I actually prefer. It's great for dragging around damp beach towels while on shore.

We got both and I thought everyone got the smaller one with CC getting the larger one too. We always have. This cruise's large bag was blue. In the past it's been beige. We usually received the larger bag towards the end of the cruise. This time they were both on our bed when we arrived. The smaller bag was also different this time. It had 2 vertical stripes.

Notes on the Constellation

The title attracted me because of "Notes on the Constellation". A passenger in the elevator last week asked about the location of "Notes" and what it was. The "Notes" on Constellation, formerly a music listening area, is now the location for the acupuncture centre.

We were on the Connie for it Xmas/New Years cruise.The ship was wonderful..but we found the entrees in the main dining room just fair.The January before we were on the Summit and the entrees were great.A number of other people made the same comment.

Michael

I'm so glad they changed 'Notes' into an Acupuncture Spa. Who would want to sit around listening to music when you can pay for some guy to stick needles into you! That's my idea of the perfect cruise experience - needles.

Denny

Yes, I agree. Celebrity has slipped somewhat. We had a great trip on the Connie in February, but noticed no Cova chocolates. Also noticed the cuisine in the MDR was not up to past experience. Oceanliners was wonderful and we dined there for our anniversary. I'm thinking about checking out Azamara!

Sheila

It's not just Celebrity that's cutting corners. On our last cruise on RCCL's Indy we noticed that no chocolates were left on the pillows at night, and their dining has slipped a notch. I guess they must be cutiing corners to make a profit. We still had a wonderful time, and only repeat guests would notice the changes.

Rollie

Back to the large tote bags. While putting away the new blue one with the older beige ones I noticed it seemed smaller. This led to curiosity me to opening up the new one and an old one. Measurements:

Old ... 25 1/2" X 19" X 7 1/2"

New ... 19 1/2" X 15 3/4" X 7 1/2"

While the old one is larger, the new one is more manageable. They're both nice totes and fold into small cases.

This is in no way a complaint, just a comment.

It's not just Celebrity that's cutting corners. On our last cruise on RCCL's Indy we noticed that no chocolates were left on the pillows at night, and their dining has slipped a notch. I guess they must be cutiing corners to make a profit. We still had a wonderful time, and only repeat guests would notice the changes.

Rollie

I sailed on the Liberty of the Seas on February 28 and received chocolates nightly. In fact some nights I found as many as 6 in a special design on my pillow.

I was not in a suite but a category D2 balxcony cabin.

I also thought that the food was very good in the dining room, and some of my table mates and I sometimes requested a shrimp cocktail when it was not on the menu.

Ginnie

Archived