Cats on cruise ships?

patterson3

I know in the past ships always had a cat onboard (it began as a way to control the mice population but developed into a source of good luck- there's even a story of the cat on the Titanic pulling her newborn kittens off the ship in Southampton, which people later interpreted to be a bad omen...) Anyway, I was just curious if anyone knows if this tradition is still carried on today? Do modern day cruise ships have cats onboard? If not, when did this tradition get fazed out?

I know in the past ships always had a cat onboard (it began as a way to control the mice population but developed into a source of good luck- there's even a story of the cat on the Titanic pulling her newborn kittens off the ship in Southampton, which people later interpreted to be a bad omen...) Anyway, I was just curious if anyone knows if this tradition is still carried on today? Do modern day cruise ships have cats onboard? If not, when did this tradition get fazed out?

Not sure when it was fazed out, but I've never seen a cat or even a service dog on any Carnival ship.

I've often thought of how much my cat would enjoy cruising with me. :D Lying out on deck in the sun; snuggling up for a cat nap on a cushioned deck chair; exploring all the ship's nooks and crannies; ordering salmon thru room service.

Roz

Do you think I could pass my kitty off as a "service cat" :D?

Cruise Line Official: I see you have a service cat with you. What service does he provide?

Me: Oh, his job is to make sure that I'm always busy, waiting on him hand and foot. And he purrs, too.

CLO: No problem. Please proceed aboard, madam. Have a nice cruise.

(Good question, though! I wish they did have shipboard cats on cruises.)

Lisa

Cruise Line Official: I see you have a service cat with you. What service does he provide?

Me: Oh, his job is to make sure that I'm always busy, waiting on him hand and foot. And he purrs, too.

Lisa

HAHA that is awesome!

As much as I love my cats, and as much as I miss them terribly while on a cruise, I don't think they would be happy traveling with me. First of all, those cabins are TINY and there is not a good spot for a litter box. Then there is the fact that one of my cats seems to have "Special Needs" and I am pretty sure she would be so stupid as to try to jump on the rail of the balcony and end up as shark food. :( Then there is the fact that all animals tend to wear on furniture. If people are already complaining of the condition of ships now, can you imagine the added wear and tear of animal fur, dog chewing, cat clawing, and their messes?

I have a great pet sitter and I am sure that my pets are well cared for and loved while I am on a cruise.

I hear what you're saying, Mokaheena. This would only work if my perfectly behaved :eek: cat was the only feline onboard. I'd put the litter box up on the Sports Deck, which is where they put the sod or turf strips for the service dogs to use.

Roz

Lisa

Love it lisiamc! And here's a kitty on Cunard, ready for muster (which they really have for the onboard kennel crowd):

0531%20002.jpg

Love this thread. Would love to be able to travel with my cat. I have seen service dogs on many of the cruises I have done. And last December on the Emerald Princess, one of the performers had a dog with him. It was nice to be able to make over her as he had her out and about several different evenings... on formal night she was decked out in her red and black dress! So cute.

My cat could calm me down when all the chairs are taken by towels. When after 2 attempts I still can't get on (or off) the elevator. When scary high seas make it hard to sleep. All he has to do is sit on my lap, purr and I am fine. Maybe we should all take our cats?? What a mellow cruise that would be.

It is illegal in most countries - including the USA - to bring animals in without quarantining them. Quarantine can be from 2 weeks to 2 months.

I think you can figure out the logistical problem from here.

After seeing how nasty some passengers can be to crewmembers (and to each other), would it really be fair to subject a poor cat to some of the "unusual" people we see cruising today?

The main difference between a do and a cat is simple.

Ask a dog to come to you, it will normally obey without question.

Ask a cat the same question and its reply will be will be- 'Send me a postcard, and I'll get back to you!':rolleyes:

john

After seeing how nasty some passengers can be to crewmembers (and to each other), would it really be fair to subject a poor cat to some of the "unusual" people we see cruising today?

Any one of my cats would be perfectly capable of dealing with an abusive passenger. Hissing, clawing, peeing on the shoes...:eek:

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if there aren't some cats onboard cruise ships. One could be living in the Captains quarters or crew quarters and who would know? I'm sure it's not something they advertise, but it could certainly be possible.

CG

Love it lisiamc! And here's a kitty on Cunard, ready for muster (which they really have for the onboard kennel crowd):

0531%20002.jpg

Okay, who wants to volunteer for this job?

"Here you go swabbie, just put the lifejackets on all these cats" :eek: Talk about hazerdous duty pay! LOL

CG

Archived