Cats on cruise ships?

patterson3

The main difference between a do and a cat is simple.

Ask a dog to come to you, it will normally obey without question.

Ask a cat the same question and its reply will be will be- 'Send me a postcard, and I'll get back to you!':rolleyes:

john

You obviously have not lived with dachshund. :D Ask one to come to you or do something, they'll just look at like 'I'll think about it and get back to you later.' They are the most stubborn and disobedient dogs I've ever known, but I love my dachshund to pieces and wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.

You obviously have not lived with dachshund. :D Ask one to come to you or do something, they'll just look at like 'I'll think about it and get back to you later.' They are the most stubborn and disobedient dogs I've ever known, but I love my dachshund to pieces and wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.

I HAVE lived with a DAX, they are one person dogs, but very cute.

john

We had a situation here where a lady was in a coma, and just wouldn't snap out of it. Doctors couldn't figure it out. Her cat at home was despondent due to the loss of its master. The lady's daughters snuck the cat into her hospital room, hoping the cat would be less lethargic and depressed if it could see that its owner was still around. The cat snuggled up to her and started purring like a cement mixer. :D The lady came out of the coma.

Now that's service!

Roz

<sniffle>

AHHH-CHOOOOO!

No cats on board for me, please!

i second (third) this comment.

i cant imagine that there are cats wandering around anymore. i know cats are clean but it would still be unhygenic. (sp?)

i mean if they spray people down with hand sanitizer constantly they wouldnt want an animal roaming around pooping and shedding fur!

Any one of my cats would be perfectly capable of dealing with an abusive passenger. Hissing, clawing, peeing on the shoes...:eek:

Ha Ha - reminded me of an exBF. He had a nice cat, but when ex's daughter came to visit us, cat felt slighted and peed IN and ALL OVER ex's nice dress shoes. There was no saving them.

I'll pit a wily feline against an obnoxious passenger any day.

i cant imagine that there are cats wandering around anymore. i know cats are clean but it would still be unhygenic. (sp?)

i mean if they spray people down with hand sanitizer constantly they wouldnt want an animal roaming around pooping and shedding fur!

I don't think anyone is completely serious about having their cat on board.;)

At least the cats would be using a litter box and not contaminating the pools or hot tubs like babies in diapers or swim diapers. Then there's the little issue of all the human dry skin that's "shed' in both those places.:p

My cat would just lay in the sun all day and love it

You have a sun worshiping cat as well??? LOL Both of mine are what we call "sun whores". They fight over any little space of sun coming in through the window. They also LOVE to sit on the sun porch. They have been begging to go out there for the last two weeks. It is sunny, but still too cold (only in the 40's).

Love it lisiamc! And here's a kitty on Cunard, ready for muster (which they really have for the onboard kennel crowd):

0531%20002.jpg

That pic is sooo cute! I can't believe they have lifejackets for the animals onboard! How adorable!!

We had a situation here where a lady was in a coma, and just wouldn't snap out of it. Doctors couldn't figure it out. Her cat at home was despondent due to the loss of its master. The lady's daughters snuck the cat into her hospital room, hoping the cat would be less lethargic and depressed if it could see that its owner was still around. The cat snuggled up to her and started purring like a cement mixer. :D The lady came out of the coma.

Now that's service!

Roz

I really liked this story, thanks for sharing it. Animals are really amazing, aren't they?

Just to comment... a service animal is really any animal that is needed for a medical need. Be it dogs (or even ponys/miniture horses) for the disabled. Cats, birds, snakes, rodents... all can be classified as such. Many children who have suffered a trama stress out and use these animals as their crutch for a time being.

And actually for those wanting to sneak their animals in places... other than safety issues with things such as rides, planes, and that type. Most businesses take the hands off approach. The location I work at we are actually told to let them know their pets are not allowed. But the second they say its a service animal we say thanks have a nice day. Ofcourse it needs to be properly controlled (leash, stroller, container or held). But truthfully I don't see why some people stress their poor animals out that way. One place I worked at previously someone almost lost their kitten on a ride when they put it in the under the seat cubbyhole! :eek:

Just to comment... a service animal is really any animal that is needed for a medical need. Be it dogs (or even ponys/miniture horses) for the disabled. Cats, birds, snakes, rodents... all can be classified as such. Many children who have suffered a trama stress out and use these animals as their crutch for a time being.

And actually for those wanting to sneak their animals in places... other than safety issues with things such as rides, planes, and that type. Most businesses take the hands off approach. The location I work at we are actually told to let them know their pets are not allowed. But the second they say its a service animal we say thanks have a nice day. Ofcourse it needs to be properly controlled (leash, stroller, container or held). But truthfully I don't see why some people stress their poor animals out that way. One place I worked at previously someone almost lost their kitten on a ride when they put it in the under the seat cubbyhole! :eek:

Agreed, it can be quite stressful on an animal who is not used to travel, or trained to handle new situations very well. I know with the temperament of my cats, I could never get them out of the house, except for a huge struggle to go to the vet. It is sad that some people do stress their animals out because they selfishly think about what they want and not what is best for the pets (some people do this with children as well!).

That is correct. This was an interesting discussion, but I was wondering more about cats onboard to chase mice, for good luck or companisonship to crew rather than passangers bringing their pets on board....

If I ever tried to bring either of my cats onboard a cruise with me they would be scared to death and probably hide under the bed for the entire cruise....

i thought the OP was asking if cats are still used on board to control mice :confused:

Archived