MSC OPERA - January 22, 2005

eroller

Anyone booked on this sailing? It's a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale.

I'm looking forward to trying a line other than the "big boys" like Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Princess. MSC is relatively new to North America and I'm hoping the Italian atmosphere they promote is really true.

Please reply if you will be sailing as well.

Best,

Ernie

• 2 weeks later...

Ernie and Benita

We sailed on their then new ship the Lirica to Panama Canal.

The ship was very lovely being brand new. We found the food excellent, there were complaints from some people, but then there always is. My husband and I are of Italian Americans or should I say American Italians and we were very familiar with all the Italian food, we thought it was really good and we are very fussy about food. The entertainment was Fantastic, the shows and especially the animation team. they are a group of young people who are very talented and work hard from morning to night trying to keep everything hopping.

For us, it was authentically Italian.

Jeanne:)

Thanks so much for the info ... there's been so much discussion about whether MSC turns into "just another" American experience. I certainly hope they won't; when my girlfriends and I made the Opera bookings in July it was because we wanted the (somewhat) unique European experience. We're counting down and SO excited!

We've discovered that the best thing to do on any cruise is to just "kick back" and try to overlook those little things that will always occur on a ship with 1700+ passengers on board. We're amazed at how folks get so upset over things that really don't matter; we're ready to enjoy this one as well!

Hello! I am going on the January 22nd Cruise on the MSC Opera and am so excited! I am going with my cousin, its going to be our first time traviling together but we both wanted to try a cruise and both love to meet new people and have fun so we checked it out and this cruise is supose to be top notch! I am looking foward to it! Any suggestions from experienced cruisers for this first timer? What should I expect and what should I be careful of? Would like to know if any other 22-25 year olds are on this cruise as well. :D

I will be on board! Maybe we will cross paths!

Welcome Vanessa!! I hope we will meet onboard as well. Where are you from and who are you traveling with?

I live in Atlanta and will be traveling with my mother and a few good friends. I'm in my 30's. I've been on a lot of cruises so if you have any questions then fire away! ;)

Ernie

Welcome Vanessa!! I hope we will meet onboard as well. Where are you from and who are you traveling with?

I live in Atlanta and will be traveling with my mother and a few good friends. I'm in my 30's. I've been on a lot of cruises so if you have any questions then fire away! ;)

Ernie

I am from Quebec Canada and am traveling with my Cousin who is 25 years old, I am 22 and was wondering what are the odds I will get sea sick? Does the boat sway alot? Kind of worried about getting sea sick.:eek:

I am from Quebec Canada and am traveling with my Cousin who is 25 years old, I am 22 and was wondering what are the odds I will get sea sick? Does the boat sway alot? Kind of worried about getting sea sick.:eek:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The seas should be pretty smooth in January and these large cruise ships really don't move that much. Of course some people are very sensitive to movement and feel ill even with the slightest motion. If you think you are one of those people then come prepared and maybe get a shot before you leave from your doctor. 99% of all cruise passenger have no problem with seasickness, and hopefully you fall into that large percent! ;) If you don't normally get air or car sick then I would say you should be ok.

I think MSC has ticketed passengers last week for the January 22 cruise so hopefully documents are on the way!

Let me know if you think of any other questions.

Ernie

That is good to know! I got my tickets and info all ready probably because my cousin I am traveling with is a travel agent and took care of all the details. You have been most helpful, I think I will come prepared, since I don't get air sick but can get car sick if I am not paying attention to where I am going. I am not to worried now, thanks a bunch!

My wife and I were on the Transatlantic trip in November.

Between Genoa and Barcelona we had a Force 9 during the night. I never felt a thing but my wife woke up when a glass fell over in the toilet.

Don't worry it's a great ship.

Enjoy.

My girlfriend and I are on the ship with you Ernie. We are first time cruisers. I'm 38 & she's 35. We are psyched, but uncertain about attire. How many formal outfits do we bring. I don't even own a suit, but have 6 sports coats. Are slacks and sport coats casual enough, and how many do we bring? Thanks, and look forward to meeting you all on the ship!

Mike

My girlfriend and I are on the ship with you Ernie. We are first time cruisers. I'm 38 & she's 35. We are psyched, but uncertain about attire. How many formal outfits do we bring. I don't even own a suit, but have 6 sports coats. Are slacks and sport coats casual enough, and how many do we bring? Thanks, and look forward to meeting you all on the ship!

Mike

Oh that is a good question! I had not even thaught about that! My cousin said to bring at least 3 formal sets of cloths and a couple semi formal, but being girls we will always bring way more than what we need!:p You got to expect an nice formal captains dinner I am told so bring your sunday best for that to start with! Its very nice to meet you online and it will be fun to see all of you face to face on board! I just can't wait!:D

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome!! I'm looking forward to meeting you and your girlfriend.

Welcome to the world of cruising. I really think you are going to enjoy it and have a fantastic time. You and I are the same age.

Regarding the dress ... there are two formal nights during the cruise. Usually guys wear a dark suit or tux, but you could probably get away with nice slacks, a sport coat, and tie. The rest of the nights are "smart casual". Nice attire but jacket and tie are not necessary (no jeans or t-shirts) ... at least that is the way it is on most cruise lines. MSC could be a little different but I doubt it.

Talk to you later and let me know if you have anymore questions.

Ernie

I will also be joining you on this sailing. I scheduled it for my husband's birthday because he collects autographed baseballs and this is a baseball themed cruise.

As for the formal wear, there are 2 formal nights on this particular cruise. Men generally dress in dark suits or tuxes and women wear long gowns or cocktail dresses.

On semiformal nights most people dress like they would if they were going to dinner at a nice restaurant at home. Although most cruise lines no longer call it semiformal but now refer to those nights as informal. I disagree. Informal does not mean the same as semiformal, it means the same as casual. Change is not always good or smart.

I am looking forward to trying this line for myself. I have heard so many mixed reviews.

I look forward to meeting you all on board.

Just booked the Jan 22nd cruise me and my girlfriend (23,25) Really looking foward to it........glad other people our age booked as well.....

I was worried about that to but glad to know you are about the same ages as me and my cousin! At least now I know we won't stick out in the crowd due to our age! Hay you are only young once so why not experience everything you can now, like this cruise, am I right?! Look foward to meeting you and your girlfriend, if we should meet.

Hi there,

My wife and I just booked for the 1/22 sailing of Opera. We love the Western Caribbean. Don't mind trading Jamaica for Roatan. Hope to do some diving there. We're not 30 or 35, but we're not the AARP group yet either. Years ago went on COSTA when it was Italian, and had a great time. Now that Carnival owns them I hear they're a Disneyland version of what Italian should be. Look forward to this cruise.

See you all soon.

Andy & Deb

Redding, CA

Hi Ernie, We're 2 first time cruise travellers' and looking forward to this 7 day Western Cruise starting on Jan 22,2005 on the MCS OPERA.

We just recently received our Cruise Pkg and will be on the LaTraviata Deck.

I been reading the MSC Opera booklet and have a question on the 'shore-to-ship-contact. Regarding the telephone and/or fax numbers.

I think I've determined there are two numbers available for both phone and fax

namely: 335762710 or 335762720 for telephone AND 335762711 or 335762721 for fax...............HOWEVER, I'm a bit confused with regard to the Area Codes which is dialed first before the phone or fax number and am looking for some clarification here.

Area Code(s) 00870/00871/00873 - - are all 3 required at once or is this similiar to 2 available phone and fax numbers???? Do you just pick one Area Code to use with the fax and/or phone numbers???? OR are these 3 Area Code numbers dependent on what geographical part of the cruise your on at the time........?????????? i.e. Key West FL in a different Area Code than say Grand Cayman on Grand Cayman Islands or the other two ports of call?

The reason for the question is to get clarification so as to provide the correct emergency contact numbers in case contact with family is required.

ThankYOU

WallywithaG

Hi Ernie, We're 2 first time cruise travellers' and looking forward to this 7 day Western Cruise starting on Jan 22,2005 on the MCS OPERA.

We just recently received our Cruise Pkg and will be on the LaTraviata Deck.

I been reading the MSC Opera booklet and have a question on the 'shore-to-ship-contact. Regarding the telephone and/or fax numbers.

I think I've determined there are two numbers available for both phone and fax

namely: 335762710 or 335762720 for telephone AND 335762711 or 335762721 for fax...............HOWEVER, I'm a bit confused with regard to the Area Codes which is dialed first before the phone or fax number and am looking for some clarification here.

Area Code(s) 00870/00871/00873 - - are all 3 required at once or is this similiar to 2 available phone and fax numbers???? Do you just pick one Area Code to use with the fax and/or phone numbers???? OR are these 3 Area Code numbers dependent on what geographical part of the cruise your on at the time........?????????? i.e. Key West FL in a different Area Code than say Grand Cayman on Grand Cayman Islands or the other two ports of call?

The reason for the question is to get clarification so as to provide the correct emergency contact numbers in case contact with family is required.

ThankYOU

WallywithaG

Hi WallywithaG,

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your first cruise. It should be a great experience. I'm glad we are leaving next week and not today since the weather in SE Florida looks nasty. Hopefully it will be better by next Saturday.

Here is the correct format to dial MSC OPERA direct from the United States. No operator is needed.

Phone:

011-874-335762710 or 011-874-335762720

FAX:

011-874-335762711 or 011-874-335762721

"874" is the area code for the Western Atlantic Ocean. It that doesn't work (although it should), then try area code "871" which is for the Eastern Atlantic.

Hope that helps, and maybe I'll see you onboard!

Ernie

ThankYOU Ernie, I go as you suggested with the 011-874-335762710 or 20 and 11 or 21 if/when faxing..........If the 874 Area code doesn't do it they try again with 871.:cool:

I will presume that this will work the same way when calling from CANADA.:confused:

Just out of curiosity I wonder if YOU know what area code(s) 870 and 873 will get you, possibly NORTH and SOUTH ATLANTIC oceans???:D

Thanks Again, I'll look forward to see you on board and maybe even buy YOU a Canadian Beer ;)

WallywithaG

Archived