Senior cruiser-formal wear query

Sikwemu

My 85 year old mother is now signed up for her first cruise. She is absolutely thrilled but has a certain doubt about formal wear. She is (now) only four feet ten inches tall due to osteophorosis and has the characteristic dowager's hump. She has a problem with "nice" clothes fitting and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to suggest.

Has anybody a relative who has solved the problem or possibly somebody might be able to give a few suggestions from personal experience.......

My 85 year old mother is now signed up for her first cruise. She is absolutely thrilled but has a certain doubt about formal wear. She is (now) only four feet ten inches tall due to osteophorosis and has the characteristic dowager's hump. She has a problem with "nice" clothes fitting and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to suggest.

Has anybody a relative who has solved the problem or possibly somebody might be able to give a few suggestions from personal experience.......

Where is your Mother cruising and on which ship? I am assuming since you are posting your question on the Cunard board, that she is sailing on a Cunard ship.

I would suggest that your Mother find something in which she would be comfortable. She might enjoy a long black skirt or fancy black evening pants which she could match with some dressy tops. Another suggestion might be to have some things made by a seamstress that would fit her properly. Good luck in finding a solution which pleases her.

I hope she enjoys a lovely voyage.

Beth

My mother in law takes along a couple of longish black skirts which she wears with pretty, loose fitting blouses, some beaded, some not, and really looks lovely. She sticks to flattish shoes so that she stays steady if the ship is rolling and pitching. She also has a stole or pretty shawl so she can keep warm as the public rooms can often be a bit chilly. She proves that you can look very elegant no matter your age or height!:)

I would agree with Safarigal - long black skirt, pretty tops and flats are great. A purse on a long chain so it could go across the body would be good too - one less thing to worry about! I'm sure she'll have a fab time , and I look forward to cruising too at 85!:)

I am to fashion what George Bush was to diplomacy. However it would be difficult to conceive of a situation in which a Cunard passenger would be anything other than charming to an elderly and dignified fellow-passenger, whatever she wore.

I do hope Mum has a fantastic time.

xx

Somewheresoon, kisses on your head & thanks to the others as well. I've now discovered that Mum, full of her booking for first first cruise and on CUNARD which is for her generation(and ours) the creme de la creme was met with the comment of......"that's nice but aren't you a bit old to start cruising?" This comment was from people of similar age so she suddenly had a "oh my God" moment. Would she fit in? She didn't want to let the side down ( she is going on a family occasion) etc. etc.

Mum is computer literate as my Dad bought her one for her 75th birthday and she took great pride in being the eldest "silber surfer" on the course she signed up for. She is fully Broadbanded so I shall point her at this board so she can see that others beside her family think she will be a credit to us all as she proves that 85 is no barrier at all.

Thank you again!

I would also add that it is perfectly acceptable on formal nights to wear a cocktail-length outfit. There is then less risk for any person of your mother's age, of tripping over the hem if the ship is not steady. I am sure she will have a wonderful time.

I would also add that it is perfectly acceptable on formal nights to wear a cocktail-length outfit. There is then less risk for any person of your mother's age, of tripping over the hem if the ship is not steady. I am sure she will have a wonderful time.

Or trousers, for the same reason. My mother went on her first cruise last year, at the age of 85. She is blind, so wore trousers to avoid tripping over floor-length hems.

By the way, she had a wonderful time, and is pestering to go on another.:)

Mary

Archived