Switched cabins - have I made an error?

luvabeach

I cannot seem to make up my mind. Am doing the Alaska cruise in May - my dad and I - to celebrate my 50th. Our TA booked us an minisuite - C727. After reading up about this cabin, I was quite sure we did not want this aft balcony, totally uncovered as well as the vibration being right at the back would bring. My dad is semi-handicapped and she managed to switch us to C618 today. This is a handicapped (which he probably could use) but not a mini-suite. The upside is it has a partially covered balcony (larger than regular) and really near an elevator. Have I made an error; is the difference between an AB and a BA huge? SHould we have gone back to a guarantee and just taken a chance with getting another minisuite.

I usually travel with my DH and feel a greater sense of responsibilty being with my dad this time (my DH has no desire to go to Alaska and has encouraged this trip of mine to spend quality time with my elderly dad)! Just don't want to mess it up with a miserable cabin. I know I sound spoiled but have always been in mini-suite.

Also failed to mention we were booked on the CelebrityMillenium, but after reading it's reviews and having travelled on the Island's sister ship last year, I really wanted to switch to Princess. Am just a little perplexed as to if I made the correct decision and would love positive feedback.

The big difference you will notice is that the balcony cabin does not have the nice sofa area, which could be a real advantage to you when just comfortably sitting and chatting or being with each other.

Take a look at the in-cabin pictures on the deck plans (click on your cabin class in the legend)

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/ip/deck_plans/index.html

Bottom line it is your choice and no one else can say what is right for you. Have a great cruise and enjoy your time together.

Get a mini-suite,the extra room and the bigger bath with tub would be better for your dad right?????,I Would think his comfort would mean alot to you right?????????,so call them back and get a mini:cool:

In my personal opinion the mini suite might be a better choice. Especially with traveling with an elder parent. The sitting area will prevent you from having to relax just on the beds, and the extra size of the bathroom will certainly be appreciated by both of you. I wouldn't worry so much about the vibrations I don't think any extra vibrations will be that much of a problem. I hope you have a wonderful trip What a great way to spend some time with your father.

We were last in a mini suite, and I have trouble with my legs, and have to use a scooter. The room was nice, the sofa was nice, but the bathroom, for me, was a living nightmare! It used to be wonderful when I was much more mobile. There is a step up into the bathroom. The tubs are very deep, and almost impossible to climb into with mobility problems. You would need to consider what your Dad's "semi handicap" is, and address it accordingly. You also could ask him which he'd be more comfortable with. The handicapped BA has lots of room, bars and a shower seat, and no step up into the bathroom. They also have a little ramp over the balcony door sill. The closets have a pull down rod, or sometimes a lower rod so those in wheelchairs/scooters can reach.

By the way, we had a BA on Caribe Deck for Alaska and it was WONDERFUL to have that partially covered balcony. We could sit back by the door, under cover and enjoy the heck out of the scenery, even if it was drizzling.

Also, if your Dad does have trouble walking, you might consider renting a scooter, which will be left in your cabin for you, and you leave it when you depart. A wheelchair would also work, but they are mighty hard to push over the acres of carpeting on a ship.

The only drawback you may find in a mini is the tubs sides are taller than a shower stall step to get in and out.
The OP is now in a handicapped cabin so there is a shower stall, not a tub.

By the way, we had a BA on Caribe Deck for Alaska and it was WONDERFUL to have that partially covered balcony. We could sit back by the door, under cover and enjoy the heck out of the scenery, even if it was drizzling.
I agree that the cabin you're in now would probably be better for your father. You'll have more room than in a standard balcony cabin plus for Alaska, you'll appreciate having the larger, half-covered balcony so you're more protected from the wind and/or rain. You'd be fully exposed in the mini-suite cabin you were booked in.

I think you'll be fine in the cabin you're in now and would suggest you stick with it.

Thanks so much for all your input....I agree with the last two posts and am going to stick with the BA even if we might miss the few luxuries of a mini! It's Alaska in May, it could rain and the ramps and no step into bathroom are definite huge plusses!

• 1 month later...

We were in a handicap room on the Sapphire in February. Although it doesn't have a sitting area, when family came by (there were 15 of us scattered about the ship), we'd get the chairs from off the balcony and bring them in the room. We were able to fit four chairs pretty easily. Sitting area resolved! The bathroom is wonderful, large and easy to get into since there are no steps. Having a partially covered balcony, IMO, is the best. Enjoy your cruise, we have that same room on 5/18 to Alaska.

I cannot seem to make up my mind. Am doing the Alaska cruise in May - my dad and I - to celebrate my 50th. Our TA booked us an minisuite - C727. After reading up about this cabin, I was quite sure we did not want this aft balcony, totally uncovered as well as the vibration being right at the back would bring. My dad is semi-handicapped and she managed to switch us to C618 today. This is a handicapped (which he probably could use) but not a mini-suite. The upside is it has a partially covered balcony (larger than regular) and really near an elevator. Have I made an error; is the difference between an AB and a BA huge? SHould we have gone back to a guarantee and just taken a chance with getting another minisuite.

I usually travel with my DH and feel a greater sense of responsibilty being with my dad this time (my DH has no desire to go to Alaska and has encouraged this trip of mine to spend quality time with my elderly dad)! Just don't want to mess it up with a miserable cabin. I know I sound spoiled but have always been in mini-suite.

Also failed to mention we were booked on the CelebrityMillenium, but after reading it's reviews and having travelled on the Island's sister ship last year, I really wanted to switch to Princess. Am just a little perplexed as to if I made the correct decision and would love positive feedback.

Hope this helps, a mini-suite vs handicapped balcony (with bathroom)

These were taken on the Sapphire Princess

2694492090101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2306290750101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

2608398970101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2895603840101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

I'm not handicapped, other than being in the senior citizen category, but I found the high tub sides in the minisuite bathroom to be inconvenient to climb over. There was a grab bar, but not in a helpful location, so I felt I had to be VERY careful getting in and out.

Archived