VH guarantee - Westerdam

R&Ronashipagain

My husband and I just signed on for a cruise (highly unlike us - usually we plan for months instead of one week!!!) Anyway we have a VH. Can anyone comment on these rooms. At this point, being from Maine, anything warm and tropical will be a plus!!! Has anyone had experience with these rooms??? Thanks to Cruise Critics for your help and advice!!!

The main disadvantages to the VH cabins (compared to other verandahs) are (1) they have the steel-wall railings, so you can't see anything but sky when seated unless you are very tall, (2) they have showers only (no tub), (3) they are right over the show lounge, which can be noisy until late on some nights, (4) you will get a very bouncy ride if you get into any choppy water, and (5) the balconies for 4001 and 4002 are smaller and irregular shaped.

But, if you booked a VH as a guarantee you have an excellent chance at an upgrade, since there are only four of them and they are always over-booked as guarantees.

:)

I see that there are still a few cabins available on your cruise for a couple of the categories above you.

There is no certainty that you will be upgraded since you are just a week from cruising.

The VH's have a shower only and have a steel railing -- that is all I know about them.

Hi R&R!

If you are sailing next Sunday, March 29, come on over to the Roll Call board and join our roll call :)

I had booked a VH guarantee a couple of weeks ago, and just got my cabin assignment on Thursday... a lovely mid-ship VC cabin on deck 5. Keep an eye on your online check-in on the HAL website for your cabin assignment and let us know where you end up!

Can't wait to get out of the cold :D

Bonnie

My husband and I just signed on for a cruise (highly unlike us - usually we plan for months instead of one week!!!) Anyway we have a VH. Can anyone comment on these rooms. At this point, being from Maine, anything warm and tropical will be a plus!!! Has anyone had experience with these rooms??? Thanks to Cruise Critics for your help and advice!!!

Sounds like you have not been assigned your cabin. The VH is at the bow on the lower decks. They have a solid steel balcony enclosure, shower only -- no tub. Chances are you will get upgraded. Relax and wait. You always have to be prepared to accept what you paid for. Tens days before sailing HAL usually assigns cabins to the guarantees. Good luck.

thanks for your replies. As this was a very unexpected cruise, my husband and I will be happy with the VH - if that is what we get. We just saw the sale and jumped on it. Perfectly willing to try the front of the ship!! Who knows, we may love it!!!! After looking at all the snow around here, can't imagine having ANY problem with the cruise.:)

Just want to be sure I got this right - are the VH guarantee cabins the only ones with the steel below the rail so you have to stand up to see over? We have two VF cabins booked on the Westerdam for Alaska and I am hoping they don't have the steel. This is our first cruise on HAL and we are really really excited about it. Thanks so much. :)

Sue

We booked a VH guarantee on the Westerdam and received a VE. We were right next to a glass elevator--but you couldn't really see onto our balcony very well. I'm sure that's why that cabin wasn't chosen by anyone else. But we loved being in the center of the ship. It was very convenient. We could hear the elevator chimes, but they did not keep us awake. The only downside was the last night of our cruise, when I could hear the cabin stewards moving luggage.

Just want to be sure I got this right - are the VH guarantee cabins the only ones with the steel below the rail so you have to stand up to see over? We have two VF cabins ...
No. Outside cabins 4001 to 4042, which includes both the VH and some VF, have the steel-wall railings. All VFs on deck 5 have the plexiglas.

• 3 months later...

Hi! We are on a VH guarantee on a practically sold out Med cruise leaving 8/17 on the Noordam. Anybody have a photo of what this steel railing balcony looks like on a VH or VF room? Just so I know what to expect in case we aren't lucky enough to be visited by the "upgrade fairy!" :)

Thanks!

hi all we booked vh guarentee last november 10day caribbean ended up in vd really nice position, we booked vf guarentee leaving copenhagen next thurs and still waiting for our assignment with only 6days to go, but as people say if you book the category you want at least you will be happy, and may get the chance of upgrade. to be honest the steel rail probably wouldnt bother me as much as the trails of sea spray and salt on the plexiglass did , but then i have got slight OCD. happy cruising.

Anybody have a photo of what this steel railing balcony looks like on a VH or VF room? Just so I know what to expect in case we aren't lucky enough to be visited by the "upgrade fairy!" :)

Thanks!

They look like any other Verandah cabin would if you painted the plexiglas white! In this pic, everything just above Holland America Line (and forward) are the deck 4 VFs. The ones at the far left end are the VHs.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30476&d=1161130258

Originally posted by trolleydolley:

to be honest the steel rail probably wouldnt bother me as much as the trails of sea spray and salt on the plexiglass did , but then i have got slight OCD.

Too funny. I have often thought about bringing my own squeegee.

Wonder how things turned out for OP.

we finally got our cabin today got vf what we payed for, totally happy, its a balcony got my champers ready for sail away and a bath if if fold myself in two, and not bringing my squeegee gonna leave my ocd at home, and it feels like we finally going now, i recommend guarenteeing theres a chance of better but you get what you booked anyway so nothing to lose, and its a vacation enjoy dont stress.:cool:

Archived