Had to cancel cruise

plgrn

We had to cancel our cruise for April due to my husband's work schedule ( His leave was approved and then rescinded) Since the 60 day time was already past, we did not get a refund on our deposits ($600.00). We were told to write the cruiseline to see if they would allow us a credit on a future cruise. Has anyone done this? Is it even worth trying? We are planning a November cruise and would like to go with Carnival, but if they won't work with us, we will be sailing with HAL.

We had to cancel our cruise for April due to my husband's work schedule ( His leave was approved and then rescinded) Since the 60 day time was already past, we did not get a refund on our deposits ($600.00). We were told to write the cruiseline to see if they would allow us a credit on a future cruise. Has anyone done this? Is it even worth trying? We are planning a November cruise and would like to go with Carnival, but if they won't work with us, we will be sailing with HAL.

I am guessing you did not have insurance.

Sorry you had to cancel.

It is worth trying yes, write a letter. If you have something in writing from your husband's work send it along. I hope they work with you on this.:(

Shame on them for approving and rescinding!!!:mad:

• Administrators

In the absence of insurance, you likely are not "entitled" to any concession. That does NOT mean you won't get one -- but asking in the right "tone of voice," even acknowledging that you aren't demanding something, would probably be the best approach. Do it in writing, not by phone. Good luck!

How come they approved his time off and then told him no? I would let his work know that you have a deposit that will not be refunded because you are too close to the sailing date. The employer should eat the $600.00. They made the error. I would still write or call and see if you can apply some or all of the deposit to another cruise. I have seen where people have had luck with that. Get it in writing from the employer. They are at fault.

Candi

• Administrators
How come they approved his time off and then told him no? I would let his work know that you have a deposit that will not be refunded because you are too close to the sailing date. The employer should eat the $600.00. They made the error. I would still write or call and see if you can apply some or all of the deposit to another cruise. I have seen where people have had luck with that. Get it in writing from the employer. They are at fault.

Candi

I'd agree with that, if the economic times weren't such that every single day I'm grateful I HAVE a job. :eek:

We had to cancel one time when my mother became sick about a week before the cruise. We had already paid the full amount, but I called my vacation planner who put us in touch with someone in the main office .I explained the situation and to my surprise we got a full refund. Courtesy goes a long way when requesting something like this . GOOD LUCK.

It is certainly worth the ask. I have heard of lots of people being able to reschedule through Carnival. They have the flexability and most companies are looking to keep good relationships with customers these days, especially companies that offer things that aren't a neccessity. Yeah I know cruises ARE a neccessity lol :D

Thanks for all the information. we did not have insurance. Maybe I'll see to that for future cruises, but i was unaware a change in work schedule would be covered.

The word "leave" would be better described as time off since we are not military.

My husband's boss is aware of the situation, but still stated he could not do without him that particular week. We are so thankful to be employed,so my husband agreed to work, but voiced his disappointment.

Thanks for the advice regarding sending information from the employer. that's a good idea, also keeping everything positive is a great tip!

We had to cancel one time when my mother became sick about a week before the cruise. We had already paid the full amount, but I called my vacation planner who put us in touch with someone in the main office .I explained the situation and to my surprise we got a full refund. Courtesy goes a long way when requesting something like this . GOOD LUCK.

How many years ago was this? Im hearing that Carnival has been a lot less generous in the past year or so and watching the bottom line more closely.

Thanks for all the information. we did not have insurance. Maybe I'll see to that for future cruises, but i was unaware a change in work schedule would be covered.

The word "leave" would be better described as time off since we are not military.

My husband's boss is aware of the situation, but still stated he could not do without him that particular week. We are so thankful to be employed,so my husband agreed to work, but voiced his disappointment.

Thanks for the advice regarding sending information from the employer. that's a good idea, also keeping everything positive is a great tip!

Sorry about your situation. If your husband's boss "can't do without him"... it should be worth $600 the company should reimburse you. Good luck!!

Leave is often a military term... Is he military? If he is they might be even more inclined to work with you.

It's still leave even it someone isn't military. Lots of private companies give annual leave to their employees. I happen to work for the Fed Gov't and have annual leave, but my DH and DS both work for private companies and also earn annual leave. My DS who is an hourly employee while in school earns no leave at all and all his time off is unpaid, and that is referred to as time off, not leave.

I would be curious as to why the leave was rescinded.

I'd agree with that, if the economic times weren't such that every single day I'm grateful I HAVE a job. :eek:

I had something similar happen to me with my cruise and thought the same thing. "suck it up, 20% is being laid off in a week and you're not on THAT list" (I'm an asst. boss) After a little talking with the main boss (my boss's boss) I convinced him to let me trade with someone. I called in a favor with a friend whom had that week scheduled and switched. Had I not switched I would have been out atleast the 50pp due to early saver but when times are getting tight money is money. Now with more layoffs coming I think the same way anything they want me to do for 8 hours...sweep floor, clean machines, doesn't matter because atleast I have a job (for now). Here's hoping to a happy ending with OP's deposit and that this horrid economy will right itself soon.

We were supposed to go on a cruise last May when my MIL found out she had cancer and needed chemo in March. We didn't feel right about taking the cruise at that time because of the condition of my MIL and had to cancel which absolutely broke my heart.

When i called Carnival and cried (literally) my case to them i too was told to write an email which did immediately. It may have also helped that we had just taken a family cruise with our 4 sons and spent a lot of money with Carnival, which i did point out.

Carnival called me back within 24 hours and although they couldn't refund my money they booked me on another cruise for last September and even gave me a free upgrade and told me they were very sorry for what we were going through. It was the best vacation we ever took.

If your husband is in the military and this occurred i am sure they would be equally as understanding as my case if not more. Be sure to bring it up as the reason ! Good luck with everything !

opps didn't see that the OP responded that her hubby was not in military.

Me, personally, if my vacation was approved in advance (and I had paid for a cruise already) I would turn back to my employer. If they made me cancel, they need to repay me what I'm out. I would be happy to provide my paperwork to them.

best of luck...

I would be SOOO angry at my boss. It's not right for companies to use the bad economic times as an excuse to treat their employees unfairly. If it is a big company, they should have a grievance process in place....I'd go there and tell them that I either needed the time off that they ALREADY APPROVED, or I wanted to be reimbursed for the money you are out. It isn't right for them to do that.

Many insurance policies are available that include a "cancel for any reason" clause. It might be a good idea next time to sit down with your travel consultant and go over some insurance options. You never know what you'll be covered for if you don't ask about it!

Archived