Can I make this flight?

itri

We're sailing on the Ruby Princess returning to Ft Lauderdale on Saturday 4/18/09 in the AM. We're driving down to Ft. Laud as a family so we'll be leaving the car at the port. But when we return to Ft Laud. my wife and son need to get home that Saturday afternoon. There is a 10:15 domestic flight out of Ft. Laud.

So I will just need to drop them off at the airport. All they will have is carry on baggage. Nothing to check in. I'll drive home with the rest of the luggage. (UGH). My question is, given what I have said above, do you see any difficulty in them making the flight?

If you don't foresee a difficulty, do you have any tips to ensure they will make it?

Thanks!!!

We're sailing on the Ruby Princess returning to Ft Lauderdale on Saturday 4/18/09 in the AM. We're driving down to Ft. Laud as a family so we'll be leaving the car at the port. But when we return to Ft Laud. my wife and son need to get home that Saturday afternoon. There is a 10:15 domestic flight out of Ft. Laud.

So I will just need to drop them off at the airport. All they will have is carry on baggage. Nothing to check in. I'll drive home with the rest of the luggage. (UGH). My question is, given what I have said above, do you see any difficulty in them making the flight?

If you don't foresee a difficulty, do you have any tips to ensure they will make it?

Thanks!!!

Personally, if it were me, I would have the wife and son do express walk off (since you are handling the luggage). Have them be one of the first ones off the ship and grab a taxi to the airport (not expensive at all and probably faster than you getting the car, loading the luggage, and getting out of the port).

Unless the ship returns late, or there is a problem getting off the ship, they should make it, especially since they aren't checking bags.

Thanks!!!

Yes, you can make this. You will need to do the Express Walk-Off, and be off the ship early, but should be able to easily make a 10:15am flight. Of course, this assumes that the ship is on time, and customs is not a problem. On our last cruise, there was a taxi strike going on and we had to take a greyhound bus Princess had arranged for to the airport. With Express Walk-Off and even with waiting for the bus to fill up, we were at the airport and through security by 8:15am.

Mike

I would recommend that you check with the airline they are flying home on to see how much ahead of time they require passengers to be at the airport. Most airlines require all passengers to be at the airport at least 2 hours prior to their flight for security purposes.

I agree do self disembarkation. Also go online onboard the day before to print out boarding pass.

This last Feb we did self disembarkation and we were at the airport at 830 am! Which surprised us and hubby said why didn't we book the 930 flight, and I said we were lucky this time - next time we may not be. Also this was on a busy Friday, you are coming in on the weekend may be less traffic early.

I would recommend that you check with the airline they are flying home on to see how much ahead of time they require passengers to be at the airport. Most airlines require all passengers to be at the airport at least 2 hours prior to their flight for security purposes.

Airports/Airlines CAN'T REQUIRE you when to be there, ...they RECOMMEND you arrive 2 hours early which in most cases is waaaaay too early but they want to keep their rears covered so pax don't whine at them if they miss their flight....

If your family does walk off they will be at the airport by 9 am unless there is an unusual situation...customs, delayed arrival etc...

Archived