Boarding Majesty in Charleston, SC and could use some pointers please

finch12

Hi

I have a few questions for those that have cruised out of Charleston in the past. My family is going out of there 4/18/09 and have heard it is a little different experience. Here is what we plan on doing and tell me if all this makes sense to you

• We are staying at a local hotel prior to cruising that is allowing us to leave our van there
  • The morning of the big event, were going to leave the hotel @ 11am to hopefully get in line ( I understand boarding starts @ noon )
  • A local taxi would drop us off and we are ~ 3 miles from the port to the hotel.

I would rather be a little early and wait in a small line than a little later and wait in a big line. With what we are doing would one expect a smooth transition? Does the time sound right? Would leaving earlier help any? Any expert advice on this port from your experience would be greatly appreciated

Hi,

We did this last May on a NCL Majesty cruise to Bermuda. The boarding was the very worst part of this trip (it was a good trip!) -- They actually didn't board until almost 3pm and everyone was like you and us.... showed up to board around noon. There was evidently some virus going around the ship, and they needed extra time to clean it up..... Anyway, by 1pm it was total gridlock (and by 2pm alot of people were crossing their legs waiting!) The people in Charleston told us that 75% of the time they run late like this.

If you can arrange a pickup by NCL (I didn't try because we drove in) then do. If not, just pack your patience right on top. I didn't mind the waiting to get on a cruise ship.... it's my favorite kind of waiting ..... but there were those who were really upset by it.

I just am concerned that if you get tied up in a cab for 3 hours it will cost you a fortune.....

If I can help more, please let me know.

Nancy

Hi,

We did this last May on a NCL Majesty cruise to Bermuda. The boarding was the very worst part of this trip (it was a good trip!) -- They actually didn't board until almost 3pm and everyone was like you and us.... showed up to board around noon. There was evidently some virus going around the ship, and they needed extra time to clean it up..... Anyway, by 1pm it was total gridlock (and by 2pm alot of people were crossing their legs waiting!) The people in Charleston told us that 75% of the time they run late like this.

If you can arrange a pickup by NCL (I didn't try because we drove in) then do. If not, just pack your patience right on top. I didn't mind the waiting to get on a cruise ship.... it's my favorite kind of waiting ..... but there were those who were really upset by it.

I just am concerned that if you get tied up in a cab for 3 hours it will cost you a fortune.....

If I can help more, please let me know.

Nancy

This is an isolated incident. On our last 2 Majesty cruises we were able to board @ 11. Just get your cab around 10:30, & be patient. Many ppl cab without incident.

We will heed your advice and get a 10:30 taxi. Like I said I would rather be earlier than later. It takes all the stress out when you know you are going to be early and prepared

Finch.. I was texting on my phone on my last post, so I wasn't able to type all I wanted to.

The most efficient way to get to the port is on a hotel shuttle. The shuttle will be able to go inside the gates at the port and right up to the luggage handlers.

I don't know what kind of hotel deal you got, but if possible, you may want to consider staying where they will shuttle you and you can leave your van for the week. We stay at Holiday Inn Riverside, but there are many hotels in Charleston that have these services.

OR.. maybe you could get a cab to the Holiday Inn and see if you could pay them to take you to the port. Maybe they'd let you just hitch a ride. It might be worth looking into. They start to shuttle around 11 am, and we're on the boat by 11:45 the latest. There are usually 30-40 people shuttling from there, and they don't check against the guest manifest. It's first come first serve, so whoever gets to the lobby first get on the first shuttle. I think it carries around 16 people.

Having said all that, I reiterate what I wrote before. Many people take taxis, and it's fine, but you will not be driven up to the luggage handler's, as cabs aren't allowed inside the gate. So, you'll have to schlep your bags to them.

Hope that helps.

A.

Keep in mind they do not open the gate for anyone until noon. So if the cab stays in will be on the meter. If the cab leaves you will have your bags, with nowhere to leave them.

Maybe that's new, but we've been inside the gates before Noon. The cab can drop them off anywhere around there. IMO It's better to be early and wait on a sidewalk for the gates to open than to sit in a long line of cars with the meter running.

Finch, if you'd feel better leaving around 11, I don't think it'd make that much of a difference. But the cars really do line up.

Keep in mind they do not open the gate for anyone until noon. So if the cab stays in will be on the meter. If the cab leaves you will have your bags, with nowhere to leave them.

Ok... thats the kind of information I am looking for. If that is the case then how did "AWinkler" get on at 11:00? Could the taxi drop us off and we continue to walk? What would work best?

Ok... thats the kind of information I am looking for. If that is the case then how did "AWinkler" get on at 11:00? Could the taxi drop us off and we continue to walk? What would work best?

I could very well be wrong. I thought the last 2 times we boarded we were on before 1 pm, so maybe we didn't get into the gates before Noon. I apologize for giving you wrong information. :o

Yes... Since the port is located basically in the busy city of Charleston, there are plenty of spots your cabbie can drop you off that will be close enough to walk.

If you were sailing one week later, you could join us on the shuttle. I'd get ya on. :D

We went last year in May and experienced the delay. We did not board until about 4:30.

It was perfectly fine though. We took the shuttle from Holiday Inn Riverside to the port, dropped off our luggage with the porters and had a beautiful afternoon to walk around Charleston. The area near the dock is WONDERFUL. Lots of old churches, parks, historical stuff....

To me it was a bonus- like an extra day in port :-)

finch12 I just did this cruise in Feb. and we took a cab from our hotel. We were picked up at 10:30 the cabs do not wait in the same line as the people using the port parking, they drop you and your bags right at the tent and you can either get on the shuttle to the ship or walk around town after leaving your bags with them. The entrance to the tent area is right across the street from the downtown market place. It's kind of like an upscale flee market, very nice. My wife and I shopped for awhile then walked back over to were the cab dropped us. We got on the shuttle and we were on the ship within 20 min. I still have the cap drivers card his name is Horace Freeman USN Ret. Cell #843 830-7673 He was also waiting for us when we disembarked, he had us call him just before we went though customs and he was waiting when we were done. He was very reasonable $14.00 to Mt. Pleasant across the bridge. finch12 I hope this helps have a great cruise we did.:)

this is great. I am getting lots of good feedback. Unfortunately we are not staying at the Holiday Inn. The place we are at does not do the shuttle thing. I am wondering if anyone knows if we take a taxi, get out and do a walk up, can we ditch the luggage at the dock? CAn we get past the gate where they are stopping the taxis? Is there another specific service we can use to get to the pier that would allow us to drop the bags and run?

We are doing a 3 week road trip to the Southern US (from California). We are cruising on May 16 on the MJ out of Charleston.

THANK YOU for the information here. I thought I had done all the proper research to find the "right" hotel for us. No so ...

Now ... I've just switched to the Holiday Inn RIVERVIEW (not Riverside). You need to call the hotel directly (843-556-7100) to get their cruise & park package (we are paying $129 + tx for 1 night pre-cruise and $129 +tx for 1 night post-cruise)

Their shuttle will take us over to the port at 12 noon on the 16th. Post cruise the hotel is not allowed to send their shuttle for pick-ups at the port (port rules). BUT, they said they have a couple of taxi drivers who will pick up their guests and bring them back to the hotel. The taxis are allowed into the port area post cruise. He said the taxi will be $5-$10 pp. We need to make sure we request this before we set sail on the 16th.

Thanks to the CC family for this great info!! :D

~dianne

great info ROBKAR77. that helps very much. Your scenario is exactly what we would do. I think that we will leave a little earlier, drop the bags at the " tent " and hit the market for a bit then head over to the boat.

We are doing a 3 week road trip to the Southern US (from California). We are cruising on May 16 on the MJ out of Charleston.

THANK YOU for the information here. I thought I had done all the proper research to find the "right" hotel for us. No so ...

Now ... I've just switched to the Holiday Inn RIVERVIEW (not Riverside). You need to call the hotel directly (843-556-7100) to get their cruise & park package (we are paying $129 + tx for 1 night pre-cruise and $129 +tx for 1 night post-cruise)

Their shuttle will take us over to the port at 12 noon on the 16th. Post cruise the hotel is not allowed to send their shuttle for pick-ups at the port (port rules). BUT' date=' they said they have a couple of taxi drivers who will pick up their guests and bring them back to the hotel. The taxis are allowed into the port area post cruise. He said the taxi will be $5-$10 pp. We need to make sure we request this before we set sail on the 16th.[/font']

Thanks to the CC family for this great info!! :D

~dianne

They used to pick you up with the shuttle too. So I called the hotel myself, and Dianne is right. No more shuttle service from the port to the hotel.

Boarding is the worse part...we didn't get on until 1pm. We were first in line and landed up last because i had to go to the bathroom in the porta potty. Don't go early.....even if your first...you can land up last like i did. NO bathrooms outside either.

Does the cruise traffic block the roads of Charleston? We have a bunch of people going who are opting out of parking at the terminal. We are going to be dropped off by a designanted driver who will then take the car to a local hotel and park it. They will return via a designated driver who is not cruising.

Will we have significant delays? Will we be able to get into and out of Market street fairly easy?

For any of you driving through Greenville, WATCH YOUR SPEED The boarding was a piece of cake, but the speed trap there was the worst. The speed drops and the signs are really close together. Right after the last sign, I believe when it dropped to 24mph there stood a trooper STANDING with a radar gun picking up everyone. On the other sided of the bridge was a line of cruisers just picking everyone up. Including us to a fee of $225. Just a word of warning. :eek:

For any of you driving through Greenville, WATCH YOUR SPEED The boarding was a piece of cake, but the speed trap there was the worst. The speed drops and the signs are really close together. Right after the last sign, I believe when it dropped to 24mph there stood a trooper STANDING with a radar gun picking up everyone. On the other sided of the bridge was a line of cruisers just picking everyone up. Including us to a fee of $225. Just a word of warning. :eek:

Just an FYI, they do this in Columbia too.

finch12 I just did this cruise in Feb. and we took a cab from our hotel. We were picked up at 10:30 the cabs do not wait in the same line as the people using the port parking, they drop you and your bags right at the tent and you can either get on the shuttle to the ship or walk around town after leaving your bags with them. The entrance to the tent area is right across the street from the downtown market place. It's kind of like an upscale flee market, very nice. My wife and I shopped for awhile then walked back over to were the cab dropped us. We got on the shuttle and we were on the ship within 20 min. I still have the cap drivers card his name is Horace Freeman USN Ret. Cell #843 830-7673 He was also waiting for us when we disembarked, he had us call him just before we went though customs and he was waiting when we were done. He was very reasonable $14.00 to Mt. Pleasant across the bridge. finch12 I hope this helps have a great cruise we did.:)

I'm still confused! The port of Charleston says you have to go to 32 Washington street to get to the ship. That's a whole 3 / 4 blocks from the cruise terminal. If we are being dropped off do we have to wait in line with the car parkers? Or can we be dropped off closer to the cruise terminal like off of Market street or Cumberland street and walk to the luggage area?

When you say they don't open the gates until 12:00 pm does that mean the cars can't come in or the shuttles / taxis / drop offs can't get in?

Why is this so confusing? We are travelling with 5 other families and are trying to arrange a drop off point. Any suggestions?

this is great. I am getting lots of good feedback. Unfortunately we are not staying at the Holiday Inn. The place we are at does not do the shuttle thing. I am wondering if anyone knows if we take a taxi, get out and do a walk up, can we ditch the luggage at the dock? CAn we get past the gate where they are stopping the taxis? Is there another specific service we can use to get to the pier that would allow us to drop the bags and run?

I will be on the same sailing as you. We booked a room at the Inn at River Crossing. I am being charged $89, but others got a $55 rate. The hotel is located in Mt. Pleasant, just a couple miles from the pier. They offer a cruise n park package that includes free parking, a shuttle to the pier from the hotel and a hot breakfast in the morning.

Mike & Diana

I will be on the same sailing as you. We booked a room at the Inn at River Crossing. I am being charged $89, but others got a $55 rate. The hotel is located in Mt. Pleasant, just a couple miles from the pier. They offer a cruise n park package that includes free parking, a shuttle to the pier from the hotel and a hot breakfast in the morning.

Mike & Diana

Mike & Diana ~ the Inn at River Crossing was the hotel I just cancelled when I booked us at the Holiday Inn. The gal told me when I originally booked there, "No we no longer provide a shuttle to the cruise pier. You will have to take a taxi to and from." So, you'd better check it out again for yourself before you count on a hotel shuttle. :o

~dianne

You are correct there, The Inn at River Crossing has no shuttle but.... the Taxi is $15 apparently. We are getting in to town late, and for the price of the hotel + the taxi ride, I am ok with all that

Could someone with experience at this port please clarify the scenario that we are going to try. I think that a few ppl. here are wondering how this situation would shake out

· Catch a early taxi to “ the tent “ to drop off our luggage

· Head over to the market for a bit before boarding

Will the taxi have an issue trying to drop us off if we are there say…. 10:30? Should we plan for earlier? Any other tid bits we may find helpful?

Hi Finch,

I'd make one small adjustment to your plan.....drop the luggage at 11:15, and by that time you will know that 1) you can go ahead and board, or 2) The ship is late....and in that case I would just go see beautiful Charlestown for a couple hours.

We SAT in traffic. We were easy going about it, but there sure were alot of hotheads!!!!

This was last May on Majesty. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nanc

Hi Finch,

I'd make one small adjustment to your plan.....drop the luggage at 11:15, and by that time you will know that 1) you can go ahead and board, or 2) The ship is late....and in that case I would just go see beautiful Charlestown for a couple hours.

We SAT in traffic. We were easy going about it, but there sure were alot of hotheads!!!!

This was last May on Majesty. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nanc

Nancy Ray...where is the "tent"?

I have been in correspondence with the port of charleston cruise people and they say that all cruise passenger MUST come through Washington St and be shuttled to the cruise terminal. She said that you will be turned back if you go directly to the cruise terminal

Archived