PACKING for North Cape.

bossmum1

I did a 14 day cruise last year to the North Cape. You will absolutely LOVE it.

First, it will be very cold and damp. Bring a heavy coat or jacket and if it's water repellent, all the better. Really good walking shoes, preferably not tennis shoes, but something leather or water repellent. You will also need gloves and maybe a hat, or if your coat has a hood, that will be fine also. Warm socks are a must. I wore hooded sweatshirts, sweaters and jeans most of the time. When we arrived at the port for the North Cape, it was sunny, but chilly---in the low 40's. It's about an hour ride to the North Cape itself and it was very windy and a bit of drizzle. Some brought umbrellas, but I found them to be a pain because of the winds, so I also had a rain poncho with a hood. That worked great. For the other ports in Norway, I wore sweatshirts or a sweater and jeans. Alesund is one of the most beautiful cities in the area---one place I said I could retire to---I hope your cruise stops there.

Any other questions?

Oh wow, I just noticed I hit 10,000 posts

Hi many thanks im so confused now our TA said it will be the same as our good old Brittish weather, in June. RAIN AND SUN. 60 degrees Quess the sun tops are a no no, I did plan on putting in a couple of cardigans socks are on list already,

Yes Alesund in one port of call.

Chrissy

Once you sail past the tree line, which is north of Tromso, it will get colder than the 60's. We had highs in the mid 40's to near 50, but at the North Cape, and when we cruised the Polar Ice Shelf, it was very, very chilly---in the high 30's.

We travelled to the North Cape last June and had wonderful weather - really sunny and mainly warm - on the southern part of the itinerary, that is! The North Cape was very cold. Advice already given is correct you need layers then you're O.K. from T-shirt weather through to what we would describe as wintery weather.

I think your T.A. is giving you misleading information saying it's like the British weather in June - granted we haven't had good summers the last couple of years but I can assure you that the worst days were nothing like how cold it was at the North Cape (biting wind - gloves and hat weather).

Chrissy---I'm so glad to read that someone else plans ahead. My North Cape cruise is in July. When you return from yours, please submit a post about your weather and clothes choices. Thanks, Jinn

Chrissy---I'm so glad to read that someone else plans ahead. My North Cape cruise is in July. When you return from yours, please submit a post about your weather and clothes choices. Thanks, Jinn

Hi i sure will submit a post and pics I ALWAYS try and plan ahead, clothes anyway. I have clothes piles defs maybe and dont know, i think i change my mind every day. This is a hard one because i dont know what to pack. I have cardi.s sorted jeans tracki.s teeshirts etc but for the evening non formal is harder i have couple tops with long sleeves because i dont know how cold it will get. and i hate being cold, I am taking my laptop so i can put pics straight on it so will be lots of pics.

Who is your cruise line, With my imput it will help you out no end.:o

""Who is your cruise line""

I'll be on the Crystal Symphony . I don't have piles of clothes yet, just my list. I cruised to Iceland and Greenland 2 years ago and wonder how the weather at the Cape will compare. As long as my feet and neck are warm, I'm warm, so wool socks and a scarf will be with me. I will also have my silk "long johns" and silk sock and glove liners. They don't take up much suitcase space. Jinn

We are going on Black Prince our last one on this ship as she is to retire in OCTOBER. A Fred Olsen ship. i have my gloves and scarf my son and his girl bought me at xmas as instructed by me lol. I still not decided what coat as yet. Sad to think about taking a coat bet the sun cracking the flags the day we leave, come on Chrissy its the Brittish weather your talking about. I will toss in a pair of cropped pants for the warmer days if we have any. I read a thread somewhere and this girl took long pants and sweaters and the weather was warm most of the time. quess we wont know will we i will help the best i can.

Take care Chrissy

Archived