ginger pill

feedmytummy

hi, all - will be leaving for my first cruise on april 12th to mexican riviera. haven't ever really had problems with motion sickness before but a little worried since i read on another thread that the waters can be choppy on the way back. anyway, i have read that ginger pills work well. just wondering if it's something that is supposed to be taken "preventively" (before i even get sick) or if you wait until you start feeling queasy THEN you take it?

You can buy them at the drug store in the vitamin section.

I have taken ginger pills even after I was feeling quesy & they've worked. For me - I HAVE to take them with a little food otherwise they make my stomach upset!

Does Ginger Cany work as well, or do you need the actual pills?

Sugared ginger has also been reported as working well, too. My mother tried it on her first cruise and said it worked for her. I don't like the intense ginger flavor myself, so I just wear SeaBands without any problems. You can get the sugared ginger at most grocery stores.

Theresa

On a day cruise we once took, lunch was served and the food was FULL of ground ginger! (the crew knew it was going to be rough going back!).

I've never suffered with motion sickness, but a few folks still got seasick on the trip home.

Whatever you decide to use, start BEFORE you feel ill! Prevention is the key!

as a born cheapskate--would it be allright to have a little powdered ginger in water instead of bought pills? awful as it might taste...

I bought our ginger pills at WalMart for around $5.00 for 100. :D Not so much, and we've used the same bottle for several cruises.

In the past I have had problems with motion sickness and sometimes vertigo (pretty much the same thing with a fancier name :D). So, seasickness was a real concern for me before my first cruise. I bought the sea bands - around $10-15 at most drug stores, got some ginger capsules, bought the bonine and got some candied ginger. WHEW!!

About 3 days before the cruise I started taking a bonine every night before bed along with the recommended dose of ginger capsules. We had some pretty rough seas before we hit the inside passage and I used the sea bands that night. While I was queasy, I never actually got sick so all of these things work well. I agree with a previous poster about the ginger pills, take them with some food or they can give you heartburn.

Have a great cruise!!

I plan to try the Sea Bands and take Bonine, plus have ginger tablets. I was seriously sick on the first cruise I took and the problem with oral dramamine is that once you're sick, it's hard to keep the pill down. After about 4 doses I was better, but that was a miserable evening!

This time, as the saying goes, "an ounce of prevention..."

I have never gotten motion sickness but Ive also never been on a cruise so I was going to bring something just in case.... what would be best some dromamine(sp?) or ginger pills? any suggestions?

Every person's anatomy works differently. As mentioned above, I use SeaBands and they work great for me. Others have stated they don't do a thing for them. Some people find the ginger pills work best while others can only sail with Dramamine or Bonine. Some people think they'll get seasick and never do.

So, here's my suggestion which is what I did on my first cruise: take a little of each with you on the cruise and test them. I took non-drowsy Bonine (which is a similar brand to Dramamine) and, although it was a non-drowsy version, I only took it at night. They're usually good for 24 hours. The only drawback is that you really shouldn't drink alcohol when you're taking Bonine or Dramamine, but if you take it before you go to bed at night you should be fine. You can find both Bonine and Dramamine in your local drug store. I found that Bonine worked somewhat okay for me, but not as well as the SeaBands did. I didn't do ginger pills or candied ginger simply because I don't like the flavor.

Regardless of what you decide, don't worry about getting seasick. Focus on having a great time and be prepared "just in case".

Happy sailing!

Theresa

as a born cheapskate--would it be allright to have a little powdered ginger in water instead of bought pills? awful as it might taste...

I've never heard of anyone taking powdered ginger in water. Usually it's either ginger pills or candied ginger.

Both DH and I took the Gravol brand pure ginger on our last cruise. No problems. I bought both the chewable and "swallow whole" kinds, and wished I had just bought the "swallow whole" ones. The chewables were very strong tasting and hard to get down. Also left a lasting aftertaste.

I have. I used them a few times on my in-law's boat when we were out on the ocean. Chewing 4 or 5 papaya tablets worked like a charm as soon queasiness appeared. They taste good and papaya enzyme is the active ingredient in meat tenderizers.

I'm waiting on my Dr to call in my prescription for the patches you put behind your ears...Does anyone know how they are?

I have used them on all of my cruises and just know that there can be some pretty severe side effects. I have experienced severe dry mouth--I am always thirsty! And I get pretty tired. I wouldn't drink alcohol while you are wearing them. They're the kind of thing that you need to put on before you get on the ship. Also, you can get very blurry vision--my SIL could not see and had to take it off.

Just know that that could happen.

Archived