Anyone else feeling this?

michmike

Heather, you're my heroine.

Will never go to a M&G. No offense, I'm on vacation. Don't need to meet people to have fun.

My biggest problem with CC people is entitlment. Like you're experts?

For years, always killed off the remoras on last night by opening up jacket filled with envelopes.

I've been cruising since I was 7. And that's a long, long time ago. What I see on these boards is not what I recall as fine service.

Love me. Hate me. I could care less.

I go to work at 3 a.m. So for me, vacation means I get to sleep late and spend time with my wife. Cruising has never been about meeting people and from what I see on CC, not my cup of tea.

Let me understand this post.

It appears that you have a dislike for CCrs.

Meeting CCrs would not be enjoyable to you.

But when you cruise you engage crew members in discussions regarding Cruise Critic?

Why?

Rich

B2B on OAS.

I don`t know if I could handle that large a crowd.

I drank many a beer in Coolangata(sp?) many years ago. Do you live nearby?

Rich

we live 2hrs nth of Cooloongatta.

As for the crowds, it's all relative. It's the biggest ship, so should cope with the crowds.( we hope)..

lots more to see and do on the Oasis..

we live 2hrs nth of Cooloongatta.

As for the crowds, it's all relative. It's the biggest ship, so should cope with the crowds.( we hope)..

lots more to see and do on the Oasis..

Thank you and happy cruising.

Rich

CC members number thousands. There are bound to be some jerks in any organization with thousands of members. I'm sure some members of the crew have had to deal with some of those CC jerks and, as result, have a poor opinion of all CC'ers.

That's unfortunate, but it is the way life is.

I worry about the entitlement mentality raging through almost all of our society, not just thru the CC membership. I think it damages all of us.

IMO.

Thats one thing we like about Holland America, we always get a table for two unless we are with family members.

Don't like making small talk to a strangers while we're trying to enjoy a great meal. We enjoy talking to each other during our meal.

We simply don't like eating with strangers.

CC members number thousands. There are bound to be some jerks in any organization with thousands of members. I'm sure some members of the crew have had to deal with some of those CC jerks and, as result, have a poor opinion of all CC'ers.

That's unfortunate, but it is the way life is.

I worry about the entitlement mentality raging through almost all of our society, not just thru the CC membership. I think it damages all of us.

IMO.

I totally agree!;)

Copper, you'd be surprised what I hear about CCers from the crew. Yes, to each their own.

Call me naive, but I was stunned when I first got feedback related to CCers from a CD on a cruise a few years ago. It began with the same "raised eyebrow" someone else mentioned. Since then I've talked with other CCers with similar stories about reactions.

So we may not be as likeable as we like to think we are:D. It's unfortunate if a few CCers have taken advantage of what they may see as entitlement because of this board and come across as less than attractive to HAL staff. Because that attitude represents all of us and that's not a good thing.

I figured maybe a few bad apples before us had set a bad reputation for CCers...
That's it exactly. Some posters on Cruise Critic (all lines/forums) think they are entitled to extra special treatment because if they don't get it they can write bad reviews and make things difficult for that steward and his employer. It's really pathetic when these folks pull this garbage.

Interesting "take" on being a member of CC. I've never told anyone that I am on this board, even when we met others on our last cruise who were full of being "CC members". They weren't rude or pushy, but they certainly seemed to feel they were a bit special. (How being 1 of 300,000 is special is beyond me :D) Nor do I ever discuss being a member of any other chat board.

IMHO, these boards are to gain info, not status. Too bad some people use it as a weapon :(

I LOVE meeting new people on cruises; some of our friends are those with whom we shared tables in the D.R.

.........but I know what a lot of you mean.

Once, a few years ago, there was a thread about problems on one of our favorite ships, the Veendam and I mentioned we'd been without a working toilet several times on our recent 14 day cruise and a man came on and said that we are "stupid" because "you probably flush your fruit down your toilet so you get fresh fruit."

Someone else tried to say he was just kidding and he came back on and said, "NO............people who have only been on five or six cruises are just stupid about how to use a ship."

The only time I've not wanted to be with a CC group on a ship was on a Princess TA.................and I'd have to say a lot of those folks were really pushy, wanting to meet here and meet there and expecting special treats at meetings, etc. They even wanted an area blocked off in the DR at lunchtimes for CC members!

They also really bashed HAL (no wonder I didn't really enjoy them;)).

One "lady" told me, "Everyone who is a CC member knows HAL passengers are ALL OLD and there are too many wheelchairs to try to maneuver around on their cruises."

I told her I hoped she'd continue believing that.

We don't need people like that on "our" ships.:D

And yes, there are a number of people here whom I think would be a blast to cruise with.

Also there are a few folks whom I don't think I could meet without rolling my eyes at them, constantly reminding people that "we only stay in suites", "we only travel in limos", and so forth. Obnoxious and exasperating. I think those kinds of statements are kind of pathetic, actually. Who are you (general) trying to impress? Do you (general) really think anyone cares that you have X amount of money?? Why try to constantly draw attention to that fact? Pretty classless if you ask me. :rolleyes: I'd rather spend my time with people who do have class, thankyouverymuch! :p

Excellent post! Thanks for cutting through the BS.

Call me naive, but I was stunned when I first got feedback related to CCers from a CD on a cruise a few years ago. It began with the same "raised eyebrow" someone else mentioned. Since then I've talked with other CCers with similar stories about reactions.

So we may not be as likeable as we like to think we are:D. It's unfortunate if a few CCers have taken advantage of what they may see as entitlement because of this board and come across as less than attractive to HAL staff. Because that attitude represents all of us and that's not a good thing.

You are so right! I was shocked when one poster recently wrote how to organize a Meet & Greet..Can't find the post but remember it well..when she went to see the Hotel Manager while arranging the Meet & greet she asked him:

]"So what will you do for our Group[/b]" I took this statement to mean that because the group was from Cruise Critic, HAL should do something special for them outside of providing space & cookies & coffee for the group..It would never occur to me to ask an officer what Hal would do for our Group, but perhaps that is just me..However I have asked if we could have a luncheon & all the HAL HM's & Bar Mgr's were very nice in helping to arrange that..

To me this person had some nerve to say that to the HM..She must have thought that since her group was on CC, they were entitled to extra special treatment..The same poster went on to proudly mention that she arranged a Kitchen tour & some other things special things for her group..

The only time anyone on board knew I was a CC poster, was when I arranged a meet & greet on board..We asked for coffee, tea & pastries, but have had some Hotel/Bar Managers offer us wine & champagne..On one of cruises the CC's from the meet & greet were all invited to the Captains VIP party later on, which I thought was very nice..In addition, I would never advertise CC to other passengers or crew & certainly would not put a poster advertising CC on our cabin door...Only pictures of "Brandy" our Pup, are in our cabin & once put her on our door, just for fun..

That's it exactly. Some posters on Cruise Critic (all lines/forums) think they are entitled to extra special treatment because if they don't get it they can write bad reviews and make things difficult for that steward and his employer. It's really pathetic when these folks pull this garbage.

I agree

Originally Posted by ViolaSwamp viewpost.gif

And yes, there are a number of people here whom I think would be a blast to cruise with.

Also there are a few folks whom I don't think I could meet without rolling my eyes at them, constantly reminding people that "we only stay in suites", "we only travel in limos", and so forth. Obnoxious and exasperating. I think those kinds of statements are kind of pathetic, actually. Who are you (general) trying to impress? Do you (general) really think anyone cares that you have X amount of money?? Why try to constantly :pdraw attention to that fact? Pretty classless if you ask me. :rolleyes: I'd rather spend my time with people who do have class, thankyou very much!

Touché' But if we win the lottery & we have enough $$$ to book a suite or a balcony, will you hold it against me if I brag just once about it ?;)

Also agree with Oceanwench:

Excellent post! Thanks for cutting through the BS.

That's also one of my Pet Peeves, however I usually try not to keep peeves as pets, (I stole that line from someone else) only dogs..LOL.

JMO..Cheers....:) Betty (who only books cabins in the dungeon, but still loves our cruises)

Some seem to forget that being a "member" of Cruise Critic doesn't entitle that "member" to anything, zilch, nada, Jack aboard a cruise ship (unless you happen to be a RCI "champion":rolleyes:), with the exception, maybe of the CC "Meet & Greet" that HAL is nice enough to help arrange, and even that we're not entitled to. Besides that one meeting, why even mention the word Cruise Critic?

You are so right! I was shocked when one poster recently wrote how to organize a Meet & Greet..Can't find the post but remember it well..when she went to see the Hotel Manager while arranging the Meet & greet she asked him:

"So what will you do for our Group" I took this statement to mean that because the group was from Cruise Critic, HAL should do something special for them outside of providing space & cookies & coffee for the group..It would never occur to me to ask an officer what Hal would do for our Group, but perhaps that is just me..However I have asked if we could have a luncheon & all the HAL HM's & Bar Mgr's were very nice in helping to arrange that..

I honestly wouldn't take offense to this at all. They probably meant "will you send an officer, or the CD to maybe do a little Q&A for our group ... since we're a bunch of avid cruisers and big HAL fans?" I don't think there is anything whatsoever wrong with asking such a favor.

Now if you mean that the person was looking for extras that HAL doesn't provide, then all I can say is "good luck." Those onboard officers provide certain things for various groups, and the only way you are going to get an open bar or whatever is either if someone pays for it, or your group qualifies for Group Amenity Points, and you opt to use those points for a cocktail party.

But other than those situations, the CC group is gonna get the exact same thing as say, a group of quilters who maybe are having a short meet & greet somewhere around the ship and ask if they could have cookies and coffee served. The CC group might ask for an officer to show up only because our interest is cruising and it's nice to have an officer there to maybe answer questions or perhaps say a few words. No harm in asking for that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've had the pleasure of meeting a few CCers and everyone I've met was wonderful. In fact, six year later, I'm still using the travel agent one of them tipped recommended. I've also had the experience of thinking there were certain posters I hoped never to meet. If I ever do meet them, here's hoping they'll prove me wrong and be wonderful in person.

Just recently, I saw that Rev. Neal was in one of my roll calls. He's one of the ones I've been hoping to meet but alas, it is not to be. I disembark the same day he boards.

Cheers,

Friday

Why am I a member? Have been for a very long time.

Why do I come here? To try to help some virgin cruisers. To try to add balance to the cheerleaders.

What have I heard about CCers from the crew? Can't be too specific without alerting the guilty parties. Suffice to say, there are a number who think I post, ergo I get. Let's see, you book a M&G (private party IMO), yet you rail if the line hands you a bill. I deserve an upgrade because I post.

When I post, I make it a point NEVER to name anyone aboard who delivered less than steller service. You know what? After all these years, HAL figured that one out. The hotman usually come up and says, what's wrong. My response is, ``If there was, you'd know.''

But to use CC as leverage is not my style.

Someone posted a few posts ago that they never talked about being on CC to other passengers.

Same here. I never discuss it either. The fact that I read and post on this board does not mean that I'm any better or more important than any other passenger. The idea that participating here should result in some sort of added benefit while on board is beyond absurd.

I think this is an information exchange forum. Not much else.

IMO

Archived