Anyone else feeling this?

michmike

Was just thinking yesterday, that after a number of years on this board, I'm left with the feeling that there are quite a few folks who post here that I'd clearly have a ball with if we cruised together and then there are others that if I ended up seated with them in the dining room I think I'd need a table change. Interesting to me how much of a person's personality comes out in their posts.

Yes, I have my own little list of 'who I'd like to meet on the cruise'...

What I don't understand is people who insist on 'contributing' to the Holland America board when they've never sailed on HAL, and admittedly never intend to... or the people who support them and their postings. (I know, here come the flames.)

At least I have the assurance I'll never meet any of THEM at the meet & greet. :D

Maybe some are..........get ready.......... HAL champions?:eek:;)

...or maybe they should be called HAL raisers?;)

I've had the pleasure to have personally met quite a few very nice CC posters on cruises, most on X, but a few on HAL. The folks I've met seemed to be the same people in person that they portrayed online, IMO.

There are a couple of posters that I'm not crazy about (and I'm pretty sure I'm just as popular with them:o). However, most of the posters here are the kind of people who will pray for each other when the chips are down. That's pretty significant, if you ask me.

Here's an interesting thing I've noticed with regard to roll calls ...

You ever have a roll call, with some people who are very active on it ... and then you get onboard and those same people don't even show up for the Meet & Greet? In fact, all cruise long you never meet them?

Interesting, huh?

I can certainly understand people who may decline to join a roll call even if they are gonna be on the cruise. Maybe they are traveling with family and close friends and really don't want to be involved in the Cruise Critic stuff. That's understandable. But why join a roll call, and be active on it, if you have no intention of bothering with those people once onboard?

This I just don't understand.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm pretty sure I answered you this same question in another thread, Rita, but I can do it again.:D:D

I like participating the roll calls and sharing the build up excitement to the cruise. Often however, the M&G conflicts with something I want to do on board. And generally I won't know that till I board and find out the activities. I do usually say on the roll call though that I'm either a "maybe" or a likely no show.

You ever have a roll call, with some people who are very active on it ... and then you get onboard and those same people don't even show up for the Meet & Greet? In fact, all cruise long you never meet them?

Interesting, huh?

I can certainly understand people who may decline to join a roll call even if they are gonna be on the cruise. Maybe they are traveling with family and close friends and really don't want to be involved in the Cruise Critic stuff. That's understandable. But why join a roll call, and be active on it, if you have no intention of bothering with those people once onboard?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Last year -- someone started a Roll Call for one of our cruises. It was a while before I actually saw and joined the Roll Call. The individual was posting all the time -- counting the months -- weeks -- and constantly saying that it would be nice to meet everyone.

Then when we got together on the ship, that person was the only one who did not show up.

Have no real reason why -- haven't seen that person around here in quite a while.

I wouldn't mind any of the people. No, I'm not a "sunshine and roses" kind of girl, I just think most people wouldn't speak the way they do on the internet in real life. People online act like arses more often than not I suspect because of the anonymity. Of course, I am very sarcastic so I enjoy obnoxious people - especially when they don't realize I'm sarcastic... :-)

pubMasks01.jpg

Great pic! I presume that you have an extensive collection that you have saved in anticipation of a place where you can use them, but still how do you find them so fast in your collection? :confused:

Great pic! I presume that you have an extensive collection that you have saved in anticipation of a place where you can use them, but still how do you find them so fast in your collection? :confused:

Trade secret, John!;)

Interesting, huh?

Blue skies ...

--rita

There could be many reasons why this would happen and not all of them are suspicious.

I have taken part in roll calls for all of my cruises (only 4 so far) and have met some really wonderful people that I still keep in touch with. But on my last cruise, I missed our meet and greet, partly due to confusion (my own dumb fault) as to where were we to meet. I did feel bad about not getting to meet everyone but I also had no way of contacting anyone from our roll call, although I could've tried walking up to random passengers asking if they were so-and-so from CC ;).

*It turned out for the best though, as I had underestimated how much time I would want to spend with my sister while on this trip. She's been battling cancer for the past year and I realized that the time we spend together without the stress of work and everyday life nattering away at us may not always be there and we should enjoy every minute of it. She had a great time and now my goal is to get her on the cruise she's always wanted to do, Alaska....wish me luck!

*(Sorry, went a bit off topic there!....back to the regular scheduled programming :) )

I have made some wonderful friends from M&G's. We keep in touch with quite a few folks and vice versa. In fact, I met my very best friend through a CC M&G! You just never know.

I do admit there are quite a few here that I would just love to cruise with , I know they would be a real kick to get to know.

I have made some wonderful friends from M&G's. We keep in touch with quite a few folks and vice versa. In fact, I met my very best friend through a CC M&G! You just never know.

I do admit there are quite a few here that I would just love to cruise with , I know they would be a real kick to get to know.

Still going to Tahiti?

And yes, there are a number of people here whom I think would be a blast to cruise with.

There are a few really negative people that I'd rather not meet though. If you (general) have so much negativity radiating through an internet board, I would rather NOT meet you in real life. I like to surround myself with positive people - not Negative Nellies or Eeyore. :)

Careful now! Eeyore is my all time favorite charater..;)

Also there are a few folks whom I don't think I could meet without rolling my eyes at them, constantly reminding people that "we only stay in suites", "we only travel in limos", and so forth. Obnoxious and exasperating. I think those kinds of statements are kind of pathetic, actually. Who are you (general) trying to impress? Do you (general) really think anyone cares that you have X amount of money?? Why try to constantly draw attention to that fact? Pretty classless if you ask me. :rolleyes: I'd rather spend my time with people who do have class, thankyouverymuch! :p

bravo! well said and I totally agree with this statement. Seems there are alot of folks out there that want to make their "class" very clear. You sound like my kinda gal Viola Swamp!:D

I wouldn't mind any of the people. No, I'm not a "sunshine and roses" kind of girl, I just think most people wouldn't speak the way they do on the internet in real life. People online act like arses more often than not I suspect because of the anonymity. Of course, I am very sarcastic so I enjoy obnoxious people - especially when they don't realize I'm sarcastic... :-)

I had to read back over your post, and had a giggle...

We slept through our last cruise's meet and greet, and really regretted missing it. That said, I don't think that participating in a roll call means that you should feel at any way compelled to attend a meet and greet. Roll calls are a great way to source fantastic information about an itinerary, things to do, places to go etc...

:D:D:D

I can't be the only one on this board who has booked a cruise for the specific purpose of meeting a particular poster. Can I?

Those I have met are exactly what I expected, given that a message board does not allow for the full picture. Over time, and with many posts, people show who they are. It's not hard to "get to know" them here---for better or worse.

But I think I have found over the years is that "some" people are quite different in a message board/chat room situation than they are in real life.

I found this out myself. The Internet allows posters to take on whatever persona they want, but pulling it off in person is another thing altogether. We've really had the best times when the groups are small...that way you get to chat with everyone. We did meet several lovely couple on our last cruise, and hopefully one day our paths will cross on another cruise.

I can't be the only one on this board who has booked a cruise for the specific purpose of meeting a particular poster. Can I?

Those I have met are exactly what I expected, given that a message board does not allow for the full picture. Over time, and with many posts, people show who they are. It's not hard to "get to know" them here---for better or worse.

When I win the lottery I would love to book cruises to meet you, Rev, pipedreams, copper, grumpy and slinky, kakalina, halfans, and SO many others...

A couple of years ago I looked up the roll call for our cruise....and I almost decided not to participate when I saw the screen name of the person who was organizing the get-together. I won't say the name....but it was a slangy street name that made me think of rappers and wild partiers, and I thought that I would have nothing in common with these people. I couldn't have been more wrong!

Behind the crazy name were a couple of great people who were a lot of fun and who, in fact, were quite conservative. They hosted a couple of get-togethers in their suite, and we did several excursions with them. I finally asked the woman how she got her CC screen name, and she said she really wasn't too happy with it but her kids had signed her up and they thought the name was cool so she just let it be. Our trip was much more enjoyable having met these people.

So the way I look at it now is that it's worth giving everyone a chance because you never know where you'll find a jewel.

Aha!:)

Theme music from the Gecko Spokesman company...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc_xfO63lE4

(I think I saw RuthC peeking out from under the lid of my Baby Grand last night, but it might have been just a symptom of piano bar withdrawal.) :p

I read every post on this thread because I find this a really interesting topic and one I have mulled over for years. I believe on a message board we basically get a one-dimensional perception of people and once we formulate an opinion of that person, we rarely go back ... whereas in "real" life, we often can change our minds because we can see the wink, feel the humor, respect the apology.

I have met good friends through both HAL and Celebrity roll calls. Some have been extremely successful, some not so much. Rarely have the people turned out to be who I expected. On our Prinsendam roll call a couple of years ago we met a couple who will be lifelong friends. So I'm grateful for roll calls.

That said, I got too caught up in the drama here early on. I am an alcoholic (having stopped drinking 21 years ago) so I have an addictive personality and this board is extremely addictive. I quickly realized one-dimensional friendships were formed here and since I've never met most of them, the friendships fell apart more easily then they would in the "real" world.

So I went through the withdrawal process and now just do a quick run through of threads now and then and it's healthier for me. I took everything too personally and I am far too easily hurt. This is a forum where people sitting behind their keyboards express themselves in ways they never would sitting around a table.

But there are many roses among the thorns so I would never want to pass up the opportunity to meet. On roll calls especially, we're more apt to put forth our real personas since there's every chance we will actually meet. If someone doesn't show, generally there's a good reason for that, too.

Over time I think each of us learns who to avoid, when to back off, when to give someone the benefit of the doubt. And in the meantime, there's much to be learned here, much to enjoy, so it's all good when we take the extremes with a grain of salt.:)

I read every post on this thread because I find this a really interesting topic and one I have mulled over for years. I believe on a message board we basically get a one-dimensional perception of people and once we formulate an opinion of that person, we rarely go back ... whereas in "real" life, we often can change our minds because we can see the wink, feel the humor, respect the apology.

I have met good friends through both HAL and Celebrity roll calls. Some have been extremely successful, some not so much. Rarely have the people turned out to be who I expected. On our Prinsendam roll call a couple of years ago we met a couple who will be lifelong friends. So I'm grateful for roll calls.

That said, I got too caught up in the drama here early on. I am an alcoholic (having stopped drinking 21 years ago) so I have an addictive personality and this board is extremely addictive. I quickly realized one-dimensional friendships were formed here and since I've never met most of them, the friendships fell apart more easily then they would in the "real" world.

So I went through the withdrawal process and now just do a quick run through of threads now and then and it's healthier for me. I took everything too personally and I am far too easily hurt. This is a forum where people sitting behind their keyboards express themselves in ways they never would sitting around a table.

But there are many roses among the thorns so I would never want to pass up the opportunity to meet. On roll calls especially, we're more apt to put forth our real personas since there's every chance we will actually meet. If someone doesn't show, generally there's a good reason for that, too.

Over time I think each of us learns who to avoid, when to back off, when to give someone the benefit of the doubt. And in the meantime, there's much to be learned here, much to enjoy, so it's all good when we take the extremes with a grain of salt.:)

That was lovely, thanks Heather!:)

That said, I don't think that participating in a roll call means that you should feel at any way compelled to attend a meet and greet. Roll calls are a great way to source fantastic information about an itinerary, things to do, places to go etc...

But then why bother being active on the roll call? I'm not trying to pick a fight here ... I'm just trying to understand, that's all.

I can understand people who only show up for the roll call's meet and greet and then choose not to participate in any of the things the roll call group is doing onboard. That's fine. Everyone's situation is different and maybe you really want to spend quality time on that cruise with the people you came with ... and that's fine.

But to join a roll call and then not even bother to come and meet your fellow cruisers at the meet & greet ... of course, assuming you are not ill on embarkation day or have some other overwhelming reason for not showing up for the meet & greet ... I just can't understand it. As I said, what's the point of even bothering with the roll call then? You can always "lurk" several roll calls for your itinerary if you just want to pick up some useful information.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived