Barracuda Question

VonChap

We have been snorkeling for years and love it.

I bought some new fins for a trip last December and I am wondering if it is the reason that I have become a Barracuda magnet. In both Roatan and Belize, if there was a Barracuda near, they wanted to follow me. I was with a group of snorkelers and I am the only one that the Barracuda wished to follow. In Belize I got bumped and bit just above the ankle. (just now healing)

The only thing I can think of is the new fins as the rest of the gear had many hours in the water with no problems. The fins are black and light gray.

Any ideas? I plan to get back in the water in June in Bermuda. Also, how common is a Barracuda bite or how common is it for them to "gang up" on a snorkeler?

Thanks for your ideas.

We have been snorkeling for years and love it.

I bought some new fins for a trip last December and I am wondering if it is the reason that I have become a Barracuda magnet. In both Roatan and Belize, if there was a Barracuda near, they wanted to follow me. I was with a group of snorkelers and I am the only one that the Barracuda wished to follow. In Belize I got bumped and bit just above the ankle. (just now healing)

The only thing I can think of is the new fins as the rest of the gear had many hours in the water with no problems. The fins are black and light gray.

Any ideas? I plan to get back in the water in June in Bermuda. Also, how common is a Barracuda bite or how common is it for them to "gang up" on a snorkeler?

Thanks for your ideas.

Did you have an ankle bracelet on? They are attracted to shiny things like bracelets, earrings, or necklaces.

Did you have an ankle bracelet on? They are attracted to shiny things like bracelets, earrings, or necklaces.

No, but I am wondering if the gray on the fins looks shiny in the water. There is a light gray band around the split part of the fins.

Barracudas can be territorial and they sometimes follow divers around and it can be unsettling when you turn around and see eyes and teeth. I've never heard of one attacking a snorkeler unless there was fishing or spearfishing going on. Barracudas do tend to sit right under a dive boat, in the shadow of the sun, where they are less visible to their natural prey.

Barracudas can be territorial and they sometimes follow divers around and it can be unsettling when you turn around and see eyes and teeth. I've never heard of one attacking a snorkeler unless there was fishing or spearfishing going on. Barracudas do tend to sit right under a dive boat, in the shadow of the sun, where they are less visible to their natural prey.

Yep, I was very "unsettled" to see them up close. I did get bitten beside the boat as I was waiting to board but still had my fins on. Until then, he just stayed right off my side for about 30 minutes.--pretty much found me as soon as I got into the water and stayed with me the whole time.

I am glad to hear that this is not common. I am going with the attitude that the chances of it happening again to me are pretty slim.

No, but I am wondering if the gray on the fins looks shiny in the water. There is a light gray band around the split part of the fins.

Ok... I'll add to my first response .."and new shiny black and gray fins" ;). Tombo is right, I have seen them under many a dive boat but have never heard of them biting anyone, much less a snorkeler. If it does happen again, get some new non shiney black and gray fins.

Yikes!

I think I'd either:

1. Talk to a local scuba shop and see if they've ever heard of a solution to fish attracting fins. Maybe a waterproof color tape to put over the gray, possibly shiny, strip. Or some kind of reef-safe paint to paint over the gray stripe.

2. Take some steel wool and rough up the stripe in hopes it would take off the shine and appeal to fish.

3. My personal choice if it were me - buy new fins and save the barracuda magnets for use in a swimming pool :D.

Good luck in whatever you do.

I've seen hundreds of barracudas while snorkeling and diving and never had a problem with them. I would not wait for this to happen a second time, I'd do something to change the way those fins look now. In the crystal clear waters where most Caribbean diving and snorkeling takes place the barracudas should not be mistaking people for food. Something about your fins must be eliciting an attack response.

All of the ones that I have seen have pretty much ignored us. This big boy was at least 5 feet long and was just sitting in about 6 feet of water in Francis Bay, St. John. He didn't seem to notice tha i was there.

IMG_3960A.jpg

I can understand how shiny or reflective jewelry could look like the light flashing off of fish scales and could attract their attention.

I'm wondering if the black and gray of the fins looked like another barracuda to the one hat nipped at you. Since they are territorial maybe he saw the color pattern and thought it was a rival.

All of the ones that I have seen have pretty much ignored us. This big boy was at least 5 feet long and was just sitting in about 6 feet of water in Francis Bay, St. John. He didn't seem to notice tha i was there.

That's what you think. Bwaaaaahaaa-haaaaaaaaa. He had you right where he wanted you! ;)

I've seen hundreds of barracudas while snorkeling and diving and never had a problem with them. I would not wait for this to happen a second time, I'd do something to change the way those fins look now. In the crystal clear waters where most Caribbean diving and snorkeling takes place the barracudas should not be mistaking people for food. Something about your fins must be eliciting an attack response.

I am getting the new fins! My DH keeps saying, "they are not grey, they are silver stripes". Its unfortunate as they were great fitting fins. I cant afford a second attack...the first bite is still healing and it was the first week of December.

Thanks for all of your responses as they are making me feel better about getting back in the water.

There were quite a few of them in about 10 feet of water on a recent trip off Klein Bonaire. I felt lucky to see them but now I feel even luckier that they didn't bite me!

Keep on snorkeling!

I've heard of barracudas biting both snorkelers and people just in the water (not swimming) but in every case they all had shiny jewelry on that attracted the barracudas.

It does sound like the shiny fins could be the culprit.

That's why when I'm out swimming in warm ocean waters I am so careful to have no metal on at all. I don't like the idea of wearing bait!:eek:

I've heard of barracudas biting both snorkelers and people just in the water (not swimming) but in every case they all had shiny jewelry on that attracted the barracudas.

It does sound like the shiny fins could be the culprit.

That's why when I'm out swimming in warm ocean waters I am so careful to have no metal on at all. I don't like the idea of wearing bait!:eek:

And if you do get bitten, go to the doctor immediately. It seems that barracudas carry germs that cause an almost immediate infection. I didnt go to the doctor immediately and it has taken since December to heal.

As an Update: I should have said in my original post that I was bitten at sting ray alley off the coast of Belize--near Caye Caulker. Upon some investigation, it appears that some of the larger snorkle companies have started putting anchovies in the water to bring the rays close to the boat. Our boat was a private tour with no anchovies but there was quite a bit of excitement from the boat parked near ours.

It's not just the barracuda's mouth that has germs, the entire ocean can be full of them. Make sure any cuts or scrapes you have are covered before going in the water. And if you get any cuts or scrapes while you're in the water be sure to clean them when you get out. A little hydrogen peroxide goes a long way.

In the Florida Keys, my DH and I dove in a couple of the 'sub pins' as the water in the ocean was too rough the day we wanted to dive. As the boat sat at the dive location, schools of barracuda circled the boat... I was terrified to get into the water! Before jumping in, we were told to make sure we removed anything shiny (such as jewelry) because they are attracted to it. The dive went fine and without incident but it was a little bit errie to dive amongst such large groups of barracuda!

I'm glad your wound is healing. It's too bad that barracuda looked at your leg like lunch... I would certainly consider new fins! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to agree with VegasMan, any cut or broken skin that comes in contact with salt water needs to be thoroughly cleaned and if it continues to be red, see a doctor immediately, especially if you are diabetic or have any serious health concerns or immunity issues!

We live off the Chesapeake Bay and my dad cut his foot on an oyster shell while working in the water in front of his home. Thinking some peroxide and triple antibiotic gel would take care of it, he didn't think twice of it...

Until he ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks with the threat of losing his leg, infection spread through his blood stream, working its way to his heart; it was a nightmare that lasted over four months!

I forget the name of this bacterium, but it thrives in salt water and particularly on/in shell fish. Local watermen know to be diligent in their care of broken skin in salt water, and so should we.

Don't mean to scare - just to help folks be aware. Be safe!

• 1 month later...
And if you do get bitten, go to the doctor immediately. It seems that barracudas carry germs that cause an almost immediate infection. I didnt go to the doctor immediately and it has taken since December to heal.

As an Update: I should have said in my original post that I was bitten at sting ray alley off the coast of Belize--near Caye Caulker. Upon some investigation, it appears that some of the larger snorkle companies have started putting anchovies in the water to bring the rays close to the boat. Our boat was a private tour with no anchovies but there was quite a bit of excitement from the boat parked near ours.

Another good reason to boycott dive operators that feed bread or chum to attract fish.

As already posted, barracuda's are attracted to shiny things and they are territorial. One site where we dive, another company would feed the fish and trained the resident barracuda. He was a beautiful creature, but as time went on he became more and more aggresive to everyone in the water in search of "free" food. I don't know that he attacked anyone, but to keep the people safe, he has been taken away. Please do not feed the fish, it is unnatural and dangerous to them and humans.

I have scuba dived among barracuda many times and they have ignored me. There was one time when I was diving while wearing a choker that had a shiny medal attached. The barracuda came right up to me as I was waiting to board the dive boat. That was the last time I wore anything around my neck or any other part of my body other than my scuba equipment. Luckily he just looked at me and did not take a big bite! Don't wear shiny things in the water.

I second the idea expressed below in that the sea creatures are wild and feeding them while it may be cute is dangerous. It can harm the animal and it makes it dependent on humans. The same is true on land. Don't feed the wild animals as they will become accustomed to being fed and will no longer be able to find food on their own. They then become a nuisance and often must be destroyed (killed). It is a death sentence for them. Don't do it!

Archived