Please Help Me Decide What To Do In Cabo/PV/Mazatlan

voton91

Hi everybody,

I'm going on a cruise April 12 to Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. I've done some research on the various shore excursions and about the ports, but need some help deciding. I'd like to spend two of the days jsut relaxing on a nice beach, what would be the best two places to do that and what beaches could I go to that are safe and easy to get to from the pier? Can anbody recommend something to do in the third city when I dont go to the beach. I'm considering a walking tour offered by the cruise, has anybdoy had any experience with those?

Thanks in advance.

Hi everybody,

I'm going on a cruise April 12 to Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. I've done some research on the various shore excursions and about the ports, but need some help deciding. I'd like to spend two of the days jsut relaxing on a nice beach, what would be the best two places to do that and what beaches could I go to that are safe and easy to get to from the pier? Can anbody recommend something to do in the third city when I dont go to the beach. I'm considering a walking tour offered by the cruise, has anybdoy had any experience with those?

Thanks in advance.

cabo is a good beach day place,if you want to relax,drink, people watch and swim a little, you can take a water taxi to medano beach, you get off in the water so be prepared, you are on the shore but in the water ,, its a nice area for that, ive also heard that stone island in mazatlan is highly recommended, you can take the ferry over there,

they have resturants also and water activities same as medano beach

in puerto vallarta theres a lot to do, ziplining, jungle hiking, beaches, snorkeling, its hard to pick ,theres a lot of info on these boards, just do alot of searches,

good luck deciding have a great cruise , we are heading there next week

Please tell us/me more about the ziplines. I want my dh to do something like this. I can't I am terrified of heights. So I need something for me to do also. But these ziplines. My husband is a dare devil type, and I want him to experience something like this. (We did the jet boats in Aca. very tame.) But thats about it.

Thanks for your imput.

Has anyone gone on the Los Veranos Canopy Tour with PV Tours Johann and Sandra? Or have any info on the company? We'd like to take our grandson (he'll be 12) on this and chose them because they are less expensive than the cruise line and for a small amount of money I can also go and watch.

Are there any other boys his age coming on this cruise? It would be so much more fun if he had a friend to hang out with.

Cathy

While I can't tell you about the beaches, I can say that we've done the dolphin swim, will be doing the sea lion swim.

DH is playing golf. I am also afraid of heights, but I'm not afraid over the water. So it's parasailing in Cabo for us !

I know there is a nice cathedral in Mazatlan which is included in one of the city tours.

CCL has a nice evening tour, Rhythms of the Night. About 50 0f our CC group will be doing that. There are alot of them going to Stone Island too.

Pat

Regarding ziplining in PV: one word.......................Los Veranos! (well, make that TWO words). There are four zip line companies in PV, but Los Veranaos is the best one. Can't remember the website address, but just google it. I did it at 60 yrs old, and I am the original scaredy-cat........I don't do heights, roller coasters, etc. Well, I did this, and loved it. Trust me, you won't feel scared, you are very securely harnessed and tied to the cable. The guides are energetic and lots of fun. There is a little trudging through the jungle, but I took my time and I was fine. It's good for all ages. After the zipping, you can hang out and have some food and drink, and there are these adorable little monkeys that you can pet and feed. Here's a tip" wear bright colors, your pictures will come out better. One little boy in our group was in camouflage pants/t-shirt, and he really blended in with the foliage! Have fun!

We did our ziplining through vallartaadventures.com. If you go to their site, click on the canopy tour, they even have a video of it. We did it through the ship, so I'm sure it was more $$ than a private one, but I felt safer doing so.

BTW, I'm not exactly fond of heights either, but I had an awesome time.

And I'm a baby boomer so I was the oldest to go.:D It was really the highlight of our cruise.

Good luck:)

You guys are great, I am looking into the different Companys.

I am also 60, I am truly afraid of heights, I would not rather fly, or go over bridges, etc. So why would you guys do the ziplines? If you have a fear of heights?? Debate this?

Would you all do this again? What is so life experiencing that you would make your feet tingle, and heart beat hard for?

Is it worth it?

To "ioneroy": I decided to do the zipline because it looked like so darn much FUN. My husband was hesitant to put out the money for the tour, because he was afraid I would chicken out at the last minute. I told him, when we got to the first platform, to push me off, if he had to! The first line is a short one, and not too high, so you get the feel of it. Then the lines gradually get higher and longer, but you are getting more comfortable with each one. With Los Veranos, there is one line that is 1/4 of a mile long...............that's a LOT of air time. What can I say? it's a real rush. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. I'll mention one more thing: I've always been afraid of everything. Now that I've done this, I feel so much braver about trying new things. Would I sky-dive? NO. But, soon we are cruising to Bermuda and I booked us a Helmet Dive excursion. Did I mention I can't swim?

I would love to do the zipline. We were in Cabo as our last stop on a Panama Canal trip several years ago. We did a snorkeling whale watching excursion (it was early April). The water was without a doubt the coldest water ever. No one could stay in. Needless to say, it was still fun with the sun, music, catamaran and good friends (DH included). It was not cold to be on the water--just IN the water.

Sofi doesn't look like she is strapped in at all, just hanging on, (to me). It just doesn't look safe. What if you let go?

You guys have a lot of faith I guess, I use to love to fly, go on roller coasters a lot of stuff.

What happens if you "chicken" out ? Do people do that?

mimisandy, why didn't you go? (zipline)

The tour says, it takes about 4 hours? I think I would die in that time!!!

Why so long?

We were cruising with another couple who wouldn't even consider it so i went with the flow.

I had another opportunity in Hawaii last year but we once again were with a couple who had never been to Hawaii so it was so fun to rent a car at each port and take them to all the wonderful places.

I will do it at some point though. If Bush 41 can jump out of an airplane well into his 80s, I can surely zipline in my late 50s.

What you can't see in the picture that "Sofi" posted is that you are sitting in a very secure harness. This harness is tied with TWO separate straps to the cable. You don't have to hold on to the bars if you don't want to, if you let go, you won't fall out of the harness. (I actually thought of this................what if I faint from fright, and lose my grip?) As a matter of fact, the guides clown around and let go, and zip hanging upside down, acting terrrfied and screaming "mama!" The trip (4 hrs) includes a one hour ride each way to get to the jungle area. This is on an open air safari type bus. The ride is fun.....bumpy in some spots, and you get some real nice views of Banderas Bay along the way. There is 1/2 hour of instruction. So the actual "zipping" part is about 1-1/2 hrs. There is some uphill walking along jungle paths to get between platforms, and I'm really out of shape, got out of breath a couple of times, but made it fine. One woman did turn back on our tour. The first platform, you have to climb up a circular "fire escape" type stair, it winds around a tree, ending to a platform maybe 40 feet in the air. She took one look at that, and she turned back. Don't know if her money was refunded or not, bit I would bet that it was. There are no other such stairways along the trail. The jungle is amazing......it's like being in Jurassic Park. It's a hot, steamy day, so I wouldn't advise it for someone who wilts in the heat. About 1/2 way between platforms, they have a cooler with purified water to quench your thirst, if you want. It's hard to say how someone with a low tolerance for heights will actually feel on this, everyone is different. My biggest fear at first was not being able to stop at the other end, I always came in fast, and thought I would just blow everyone off the platform. But, they catch/stop you no problem. I can't explain WHY I wasn't scared of being high up there, but my back-up plan was to tightly close my eyes if I got scared. Never had to use it!

Gindon, what a great review, thank you so much, it really sounds like fun, scary!!

I feel if I book this experience, and don't do it, its my fault and would not expect my money back, just a "safe" trip back to the ship!! So that would not worry me.

Just the height, and now you say the heat too!!. I forgot how humid it gets even in early Oct. If I chose to just watch is that possible? And let my DH go?

Also what about bugs,? We never had a problem with bugs, the three times we were there before is it a concern?

Thank you again for all the info.

While I can't tell you about the beaches, I can say that we've done the dolphin swim, will be doing the sea lion swim.

DH is playing golf. I am also afraid of heights, but I'm not afraid over the water. So it's parasailing in Cabo for us !

I know there is a nice cathedral in Mazatlan which is included in one of the city tours.

CCL has a nice evening tour, Rhythms of the Night. About 50 0f our CC group will be doing that. There are alot of them going to Stone Island too.

Pat

Parasailing...hmmmmmm......Pat, be sure you wave to me as I take your picture with my feet firmly planted on the ground from a nice sandy Cabo beach, LOL!:D

We will be in Cabo twice in the next year - once in September when it will be hot and the water temps warm and once next April when the water temps will be cooler. We plan on snorkeling in September. In April we will either go on a coastal tour or sit on Medano Beach and people watch!

In Mazatlan we will go with Mazatlan Frank! I went with him last year when I cruised the MR with my Mom and it was one of the best tours I have ever been on. He took us to the old city, to see the cliff divers and the new parts of the city. We had one of the best lunches I have ever had on a tour - at Tony's on the Beach with a lovely view. I want DH to enjoy a day like that, too.:)

In PV we will either spend the day on Las Caletas for a nice beach day with snorkeling or do a tour with Mazatlan Frank's partner there. Both seem like good options. On my last cruise there we went on a tour through the ship to a tequila hacienda with a Mexican buffet and fiesta showing all the Mexican dances from different areas of Mexico. I would highly recommend that, also. Whatever you plan on doing, you will have a good time.:)

If you would like to see pictures of our tours go to my albums in my siggy and click on the "Golden Princess" album. Enjoy!:cool:

I am going to be on the Star in April and need some advice on tours in Mazaltan and PV. Johann and Sandra have a city sightseeing tour for 29 per person for 5 hours. That sounds reasonable, but want to know if they are reputable . Has anyone been on this tour? Are there better ones out there?

Also in Mazaltan........anyone have information on the best sightseeing and Stone Island tours?

Cabo...I think I am just trying it on my own. Maybe a water taxi to Maderna Beach.....not sure of the spelling.

Any advice is appreciated............we have never been to the MR

Add me to the list of Los Veranos groupies. I went last Oct. and loved loved loved it. In fact my daughter,(there were 8 of us) made a comment to me that she was shocked that I was such a daredevil. I also have a phobia of heights...white knuckle, clammy, driving over a high bridge. And I hung upside down!! I am 57 years old and absolutely would do it again. In fact, I am this coming Oct. There was a lady who posted on this board that is she was absolutely terrified of heights, (Tammy, where are you?) and she went and loved it. It is a beautiful, energetic rush. They guides are top notch. And then hit Pipis after, in downtown PV...homemade guacamole at your table and huge margaritas in many different flavors.

Pat

Can you tell me more about the sealion swim? That sounds interesting.

Like, who with, cost, etc.

We will be going to Cabo, mazatlan, and PV. Which place would have a great whale watching tour? We will be there in February.

In PV a boat ran over a whale causing the whale to have much distress and now the whale is near death, the company that owns the boat is reportly known for running the whales down.....a tour company that posts on CC that has tours in PV, Mazatlan and I think Cabo...uses this company for their tours. I was told the company is top rated by them :mad:

Please make sure you ask any company that you book if they use Cruceros Princesa boats, as they are the owners of the Geronimo which ran over the whale, it is NOT a legal permit carrying vessel. In fact I believe it was taking a group out for a snorkelling tour saw the whale and ran it down. Show your displeasure where they are going to feel it the most - the wallet.

Open Air Expeditions and Astrid Von Dam have impeccable reputations in the community in Vallarta. I cannot say the same for the companies (Pesca and Princesa).

We like Vallarta online http://www.vallartaonline.com/tours/

In PV a boat ran over a whale causing the whale to have much distress and now the whale is near death, the company that owns the boat is reportly known for running the whales down.....a tour company that posts on CC that has tours in PV, Mazatlan and I think Cabo...uses this company for their tours. I was told the company is top rated by them :mad:

Please make sure you ask any company that you book if they use Cruceros Princesa boats, as they are the owners of the Geronimo which ran over the whale, it is NOT a legal permit carrying vessel. In fact I believe it was taking a group out for a snorkelling tour saw the whale and ran it down. Show your displeasure where they are going to feel it the most - the wallet.

Open Air Expeditions and Astrid Von Dam have impeccable reputations in the community in Vallarta. I cannot say the same for the companies (Pesca and Princesa).

We like Vallarta online http://www.vallartaonline.com/tours/

Thank you for the info. I tried the link you provided but they didn't have any whale tours that had info on it. I did look up open air expe. and found a link to allthe reputable comp's, so thank you very much for the info. I put it in my fav's.

Thank you for the info. I tried the link you provided but they didn't have any whale tours that had info on it. I did look up open air expe. and found a link to allthe reputable comp's, so thank you very much for the info. I put it in my fav's.

Vallarta online does NOT use the companies of the boat that ran down the whale :)

We were just in PV at the end of Feb and saw soooo many whales.....:)

A few mornings a mother and her youngster would go past us as we were eating breakfast, they were a few hundred yards out but you could see them very well.

To Ioneroy: Back to the ziplines question for a moment..............Bugs? No problem for us. I think I had smeared some spray on my arms and legs, but no on else did, and I didn't see anyone swatting at anything. This was late October. ANother time of year might be different. Stay and watch? For a smaller price, you can go along and relax in their restaurant area or swim in the river. It's very pleasant. But, you won't see your DH zipping.........maybe just the very last line, that ends up by the restaurant area.

For those interested in Stone Island: Lots of people just go on their own. We chose to take one of the tours we found offered on-line, of which there are several, all offereing the same thing, all were about $30/pp (two years ago). For the price you get picked up, a 1 hr catamaran ride in the harbor, three hours at Stone Island, with two free 1/2 hr activites (you get to choose from 5), lunch at a little palapa/restaurant, and transportation back to the ship. We really enjoyed our day. We did it with Puesta del Sol company. We chose them because they also included a quick ride to visit the old Cathedral, and a stop to see the cliff divers..........this little perk wasn't offered by the other companies. We felt we got a lot for our money's worth.

Archived