Disembarkation Whittier /Seward What is the procedure

bionicbeacher

Hi Folks, need your help in understanding the disembarkation procedure in Whittier and or Seward.

We are planning a North Bound Cruise out of Vancouver with either Celebrity or Princess.....we want to get back to Vancouver after the Cruise.

We notice that Disembarkation takes place in the wee hours of the morning in either Whittier or Seward ......What is the general process at this point for getting from the Ship to Anchorage Airport (we presume) for the flight to Vancouver ...would appreciate hearing from anyone in the know who can give us a detailed description of what we should expect.

Thank you

Ken & Jan

We notice that Disembarkation takes place in the wee hours of the morning in either Whittier or Seward

Not true. Your ship may arrive in the wee hours, but disembarkation is in the morning. From there, you will have a variety of options, from the train to a bus to a van service to renting a car. You can book some options through the cruise line, or book on your own. A lot depends on what you want to do. For example, in either Seward or Whitter, there are great day boat trips for scenery and wildlife, before heading for Anchorage and a night flight back. (A lot of flights out of Anchorage are late night flights, giving you the day for such sightseeing -- and that assumes you want to fly out that night; you might want to stay additional days to see more of Alaska.)

-- Eric

Ships start disembarking about 6am. You just walk off the ship any time you want from that time. I am one to always advocate people consider adding as many days as they can for interior Alaska touring. The Inside Passage is an extremely small part of Alaska. It isn't a frequent trip for many, so consider taking advantage of being all the way there.

From Seward- it is 3 hours by road, 4++ hours via rail to Anchorage. Whittier, 2++ hours via rail- plus tunnel, by road 1.5 hours, plus tunnel. The Whittier/Anchorage portion parallels each other. Scenery is far superior via rail Seward/Anchorage.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Budget Queen and others...I think you answered my question about which fjord tour to take in Seward. Our HAL cruise is scheduled to disembark at 7 am and I was wondering if I was going to have enough time for my son and I to catch the 8 am tour from the Alaska Heritage tour site. Sounds like we should have enough time to get over to the small boat pier. What are the disadvantages to this early start, if any? We will be in Seward only the one day as we will be catching the 6pm train to Anchorage so this is our only option for a fjord tour unless we did something shorter than 6-hours.

Hello Budget Queen and others...I think you answered my question about which fjord tour to take in Seward. Our HAL cruise is scheduled to disembark at 7 am and I was wondering if I was going to have enough time for my son and I to catch the 8 am tour from the Alaska Heritage tour site. Sounds like we should have enough time to get over to the small boat pier. What are the disadvantages to this early start, if any? We will be in Seward only the one day as we will be catching the 6pm train to Anchorage so this is our only option for a fjord tour unless we did something shorter than 6-hours.

This isn't your only option, you have the 11:30am tour as well. You can do either.

Hello Budget Queen and others...I think you answered my question about which fjord tour to take in Seward. Our HAL cruise is scheduled to disembark at 7 am and I was wondering if I was going to have enough time for my son and I to catch the 8 am tour from the Alaska Heritage tour site. Sounds like we should have enough time to get over to the small boat pier.

... assuming you can be first off the ship right at 7 a.m.

I suggest asking the people at Alaska Heritage. I think when I was making our tour reservation, I mentioned the 8 a.m. as a possibility and they said the timing is too tight. (I booked the 11:30). Keep in mind that the boat leaves at 8 a.m., and you're supposed to check in and board at least half an hour earlier. So you need to disembark from your cruise ship, get yourselves and your luggage over to the Alaska Heritage office, get your luggage locked up, get your boarding pass, and get on board -- it seems possible, but it's tight.

-- Eric

Hi Folks, need your help in understanding the disembarkation procedure in Whittier and or Seward.

We are planning a North Bound Cruise out of Vancouver with either Celebrity or Princess.....we want to get back to Vancouver after the Cruise.

We notice that Disembarkation takes place in the wee hours of the morning in either Whittier or Seward ......What is the general process at this point for getting from the Ship to Anchorage Airport (we presume) for the flight to Vancouver ...would appreciate hearing from anyone in the know who can give us a detailed description of what we should expect.

Thank you

Ken & Jan

If you have the time, you could CRUISE back to Vancouver - on a different ship/itinerary with a few days spent in Seward in between! There aren't many non-stop flights between the two cities. United/Air Canada has a non-stop flight in the afternoon in 2009. Less expensive flights will change planes in Seattle.

Does anyone know what Regent does w/people coming into Seward so early in the morning and they don't have a flight till late in the pm.

I am thinking about switching my dates to the cruise the week b4 b/c they still have the Tracy Arm and dog sled excusrsions....which the Sept 2nd will not. However since it is the reverse of what I was intially planning, it seems the flights are out are by 9 am or you have to wait till 11 pm or later to get out.

Does the OP live in Vancouver? Is there a reason why any sightseeing can't be done before the cruise?

I'd look at open jaw (multiple destinations) flying from your home airport to YVR and then flying from ANC to your home airport. Are you concerned with price? Check Seattle.

If your schedule dictates touring Vancouver after your cruise consider booking a S bound cruise.

Archived