London to Edinburgh Help!

My husband and I have reservations to fly into Heathrow on British Airways for a cruise in August. After we bought our tickets, I managed to get tickets to the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh. I've had to revise my pre-cruise plan and need some suggestions! We'll arrive at Heathrow on a Friday morning, and I thought we would buy tickets on British Airways (so we don't have to change terminals) to go on to Edinburgh that afternoon. Our Tattoo tickets are for Saturday evening, so we'll catch a flight back to London on Sunday morning. It appears that we have a choice on the return of flying to Gatwick or Heathrow, so which is the better choice? We're staying at Rubens at the Palace in London, if that makes a difference in the airport choice.

Out of curiosity, would we want to consider riding the train back to London to see the countryside?

Thanks for ANY helpful suggestions!

My husband and I have reservations to fly into Heathrow on British Airways for a cruise in August. After we bought our tickets, I managed to get tickets to the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh. I've had to revise my pre-cruise plan and need some suggestions! We'll arrive at Heathrow on a Friday morning, and I thought we would buy tickets on British Airways (so we don't have to change terminals) to go on to Edinburgh that afternoon. Our Tattoo tickets are for Saturday evening, so we'll catch a flight back to London on Sunday morning. It appears that we have a choice on the return of flying to Gatwick or Heathrow, so which is the better choice? We're staying at Rubens at the Palace in London, if that makes a difference in the airport choice.

Out of curiosity, would we want to consider riding the train back to London to see the countryside?

Gatwick would be better as from here there are trains going to Victoria Station which is close to your hotel...

but if you now a seperate ticket you must think about baggage allowance:

on a domestic flight within the UK on BA: one checked bag with 23 kgs.

So if you arrive in Heathrow with more than one bag: another option is to store the bag in Heathrow and return to Heathrow to collect your bags and take from here the bus to Victoria Station.

That would be my thoughts.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Have you booked your hotel in Edinburgh yet? Edinburgh in August is absolutely packed out: there are the various festivals (all under the overall banner of 'The Edinburgh Festival') plus the Tattoo. You might be shocked at the prices you'll be charged.

Trains: normally I'm a train fan, but it's a long ride from Kings Cross to Edinburgh - at least 4 and a half hours, and over 5 hours on some trains - and to be truthful most of the ride is quite bland. There are some highlights, all in the north: the view of Durham Cathedral, the view up the Tyne to the bridges, an occasional view of the Northumbrian coast, Berwick, Torness Nuclear Pow - no, forget that one! (Although it is memorable.)

Have you booked your hotel in Edinburgh yet? Edinburgh in August is absolutely packed out: there are the various festivals (all under the overall banner of 'The Edinburgh Festival') plus the Tattoo. You might be shocked at the prices you'll be charged.

A good way to have both:

transport and accomodation...

http://www.saga.co.uk/travel/cruises3/critinerary.asp?itineraryID=C7CF9A19-A374-7F39-281558D8ACC9195E&sel=1

Unfortunately I need six more years plus 364 days before I can book...

Regards,

HeinBloed

If you decide to take the train, it is National Express East coast,special deals appear about 8-10 weeks prior,will be able to colect tickets from a machine at the Station using the Credit card you purchased them with

journey time 5 hrs?

form Edinburgh thro to York it is very scenic

to check the times look at the Sunday in April

So many options! I'm not sure that we can change our tickets since we used frequent flier miles for the round trip from the U.S. (and got them before Tattoo tickets went on sale, so I wasn't thinking about going to Edinburgh at the time). It's good to know that baggage storage is available at Heathrow if we need it - the lockers at our airport were not available the last time I looked so I thought perhaps airports had discontinued their use.

I thought Gatwick was much further from London than Heathrow, but the express train to Victoria station might be easier than the bus from Heathrow (right?). So I guess it really comes down to cost/schedule/convenience? The train was tempting because of the scenery (and we don't have many opportunities to ride a train at home). However, it looks we would have to leave Edinburgh really early to be in London by early afternoon. What I really want to do is whichever choice is the easiest!

I finally made the Edinburgh hotel reservation this week. Many places required a 3 night minimum, and we'll only be in Edinburgh 2 nights. I just compared the prices to what we paid in Venice and Barcelona on our Med. cruise last year and decided we got a bargain in Edinburgh (just kidding!). We've got to get back to London to meet the rest of our group when they arrive from the U.S., so no extra time to linger! I think the hotel (Macdonald Holyrood) is central enough for us to walk or ride a bus once we get to Edinburgh. I'm a bit overwhelmed by trying to figure out these few days! I was just happy to get my Tattoo tickets - I thought that would be the hardest part, but it was simple once I stayed up half of the night to be online when they went on sale!

Thanks to everyone for these suggestions and information. I'll try to figure out if flying out of Heathrow and into Gatwick is going to be the easiest option. I'll be ready for my cruise after this!

Debbie

So many options! I'm not sure that we can change our tickets since we used frequent flier miles for the round trip from the U.S. (and got them before Tattoo tickets went on sale, so I wasn't thinking about going to Edinburgh at the time). It's good to know that baggage storage is available at Heathrow if we need it - the lockers at our airport were not available the last time I looked so I thought perhaps airports had discontinued their use.

I thought Gatwick was much further from London than Heathrow, but the express train to Victoria station might be easier than the bus from Heathrow (right?). So I guess it really comes down to cost/schedule/convenience? The train was tempting because of the scenery (and we don't have many opportunities to ride a train at home). However, it looks we would have to leave Edinburgh really early to be in London by early afternoon. What I really want to do is whichever choice is the easiest!

I finally made the Edinburgh hotel reservation this week. Many places required a 3 night minimum, and we'll only be in Edinburgh 2 nights. I just compared the prices to what we paid in Venice and Barcelona on our Med. cruise last year and decided we got a bargain in Edinburgh (just kidding!). We've got to get back to London to meet the rest of our group when they arrive from the U.S., so no extra time to linger! I think the hotel (Macdonald Holyrood) is central enough for us to walk or ride a bus once we get to Edinburgh. I'm a bit overwhelmed by trying to figure out these few days! I was just happy to get my Tattoo tickets - I thought that would be the hardest part, but it was simple once I stayed up half of the night to be online when they went on sale!

Thanks to everyone for these suggestions and information. I'll try to figure out if flying out of Heathrow and into Gatwick is going to be the easiest option. I'll be ready for my cruise after this!

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Your hotel is a good choice. My wife and I stayed there 2 weeks ago when we visited Edinburgh to see Riverdance. Its right next door to the Scottish Parliament and is very close to the Royal Mile (about 2 mins walk). You are at the opposite end from the Castle though. It is within walking distance albeit uphill all the way. Its a very historical walk. We've stayed at the hotel twice now for weekend breaks and don't consider any others when booking.

Goody1 - thank you SO much for the Macdonald Holyrood hotel information! I actually "flew" to it's doorstep on Google Earth to get an idea of the location, but couldn't tell how easy it would be to get to the Royal Mile or Castle. I suppose we'll just start out on Saturday morning and by the time we make our way up to the Castle it will be time for the Tattoo! Did you have any favorite places to eat (or drink) along the way?

Debbie

Loads of places to eat and drink on the way up the royal mile - for a real treat try and get dinner at "the witchery"

Also can recommend the ghost walks around the area - perhaps for after the tattoo if you arent too jetlagged.

There is a bus from the airport that will take you door to door for much less than a taxi if you dont mind sharing, the airport bus will only take you as far as waverley bridge.

I always try to get into town for a couple of days during the festival. The atmosphere is great, we only live 20 mins away by train.

Debbie- As MTELKwhistle stated, there are lots of options for eating in the Royal Mile. We've always tended to have a pub lunch at one of the many pubs and then had dinner at an Italian near to the Theatre (nowhere near the Castle). I don't know what time the Tattoo starts, your Hotel does a very good early evening meal catering mainly for theatre goers, if I remember correctly its about 6pm. I hope you get really nice weather (although in Scotland even in July/Aug its not guaranteed) as Edinburgh in the sunshine is one of the!! great cities of the world. Not that I'm biased having been born there lol. Have a great trip.

Thank you SO much for the great suggestions! I'll definitely check out the bus from the airport - it sounds like a perfect solution for getting for the hotel. We're going to the early Tattoo performance, so a ghost walk sounds like a wonderful way to get in the "spirit" of Edinburgh (and walk off the food and drink)! ;)

We're delighted to be visiting Edinburgh and having the opportunity to see the Tattoo. Since we live in Oregon, we're used to the rain year 'round. It won't stop us from having a wonderful time.

Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful information. I think a plan is falling into place!

Debbie

hi there,

You will love the tattoo, however the seats are the smallest in the world,

you can hire a cushion ,

wrap up warm and take wet weather gear with you,

the night we went 17 bus loads of Princess folk were there.

yours Shogun

May be too late but a few years ago, we took the overnight train from the south to Edinburgh. No hotel required and the cost was not much more than a first class ticket.

Dont know today's situation but if I was going just for the Tattoo, a great show by the way, I would check into it.

Cheers

I really appreciate the helpful options and advice. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me plan my very quick pre-cruise trip to Edinburgh. Luckily, we'll have a second chance to visit the city during our cruise, but I'm thrilled that we're not having to depend on the ship excursion to see the Tattoo! Raingear, warm layers, rented cushions, transportation, hotel info, and dining suggestions - thanks to everyone for making my trip planning easier!

Debbie

Gatwick would be better as from here there are trains going to Victoria Station which is close to your hotel...

but if you now a seperate ticket you must think about baggage allowance:

on a domestic flight within the UK on BA: one checked bag with 23 kgs.

So if you arrive in Heathrow with more than one bag: another option is to store the bag in Heathrow and return to Heathrow to collect your bags and take from here the bus to Victoria Station.

That would be my thoughts.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I will also fly to Edinburgh pre-cruise, but I will be coming from Hamburg. However, I will fly from Edinburgh to London the day before we sail, so I wanted to clarify what you said about luggage on British Airways. You said you get 1 checked bag at 23 kg. Don't you also get a carry-on and a personal item? That's all the luggage I plan to bring, but it will all be with me - no option to store it elsewhere while enroute.

You might also check out the Dot2Dot service from Heathrow to Central London. It's quite reasonable and does take a bit longer, but then, that means a bit more sightseeing <g>

I like the Tea at the Reubens. Great Location. Bag O'Nails pub kitty-corner from the hotel is nice too.

I will also fly to Edinburgh pre-cruise, but I will be coming from Hamburg. However, I will fly from Edinburgh to London the day before we sail, so I wanted to clarify what you said about luggage on British Airways. You said you get 1 checked bag at 23 kg. Don't you also get a carry-on and a personal item? That's all the luggage I plan to bring, but it will all be with me - no option to store it elsewhere while enroute.

Hi,

Yes, you are allowed carry on luggage, up to 10kg (although I've never had it weighed) as long as it fits in the overhead lockers. Also, unless they've changed their policy lately B.A are quite good if you're luggage is over weight. We've had 2 cases at 28 and 29kg and they never charged extra.

Hi,

Yes, you are allowed carry on luggage, up to 10kg (although I've never had it weighed) as long as it fits in the overhead lockers. Also, unless they've changed their policy lately B.A are quite good if you're luggage is over weight. We've had 2 cases at 28 and 29kg and they never charged extra.

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, you are allowed carry on luggage, up to 10kg (although I've never had it weighed) as long as it fits in the overhead lockers.

Actually, their website currently says nothing about any weight limits (that I can see) for hand baggage. Here's a link:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagcabin/public/en_gb

So they have limits on the size of the bag, and what you can put in it; and you have to be able to put it in an overhead locker unaided. But a strict weight limit - apparently not.

We'll arrive at Heathrow on a Friday morning, and I thought we would buy tickets on British Airways (so we don't have to change terminals) to go on to Edinburgh that afternoon.
If you connect straight on to Edinburgh the same day, then BA should through-check your bags to Edinburgh for you. This is an official published policy - you will find it on the BA website. If they do that, there's a decent chance that you won't be asked to pay the excess baggage charge. However, it is not very much for a domestic flight, anyway, and there is a discount for paying it online in advance. (It's a flat rate per bag, not calculated by weight.)
It appears that we have a choice on the return of flying to Gatwick or Heathrow, so which is the better choice? We're staying at Rubens at the Palace in London, if that makes a difference in the airport choice.
I think that I would fly to Gatwick, if you can find a flight at a decent time at a decent price. This is because the Rubens is very close to Victoria station - it's walkable with decent rolling luggage. Gatwick flights tend to be the cheaper ones, anyway.
I would plump for Heathrow for return flight to London, you can catch the Heathrow express into London, also there are more flights into Heathrow than Gatwick from Edinburgh.
Unfortunately, the Heathrow Express puts you in Paddington, from where it's still quite a haul to Victoria by cab.

So they have limits on the size of the bag, and what you can put in it; and you have to be able to put it in an overhead locker unaided. But a strict weight limit - apparently not.
I believe that this is correct: on mainline BA, there's no strict weight limit for the carry-on bag. However, they mean it when they say that you must be able to put it in the overhead yourself. The cabin crew will not help you do that (unless you have special needs). If you can't do it, the cabin crew will help you drag it to the door, from where it will be put into the hold.

Thank you for the information, Globaliser. I hope that if we show BA that we have an additional flight on to Edinburgh from Heathrow when we check in for our original flight (in Seattle), they will check our luggage through to Edinburgh. I would think that it would be easier to go through Customs and give the luggage back there, than have to go to the BA counter and re-check it for the second part of the flight. (Or am I mistaken in thinking that is how it would work?)

Returning to Gatwick sounds much better if we could really walk from Victoria Station to Rubens!

My Tattoo tickets arrived yesterday, so I'm really excited now! :)

Any clarification on what to expect at Heathrow when connecting on to Edinburgh is appreciated! I'm not sure how much time I need to give myself between flights . . . .

Debbie

Archived