Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

Well folks I just did it. I cancelled my July Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean D1 category cruise. I'm tired of RCCL's 10 year plus policy of take, take, take, take, take, take.

GF and I are going to Paris for the same exact week we were going to be on our cruise. I reached Cubic Zirconia (diamond) status to only have the goal post move further away. RCCL and cruising with them is NO LONGER A PRIORITY or our first choice. And GF and I have already decided that next cruise will be on another cruise line - we're looking for a new flavor. By my accounts that is around $7,000 that I will NOT be spending with RCCL as a Cubic Zirconia member of the Crap and Anchor society.

I've also chosen to switch lines. I decided my next cruise won't be with Royal Caribbean but rather with Celebrity. And in the mean time I've decided to start panhandling to make up for the free drinks Royal Caribbean has taken away.

Well folks I just did it. I cancelled my July Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean D1 category cruise. I'm tired of RCCL's 10 year plus policy of take, take, take, take, take, take.

GF and I are going to Paris for the same exact week we were going to be on our cruise. I reached Diamond status to only have the goal post move further away. RCCL and cruising with them is NO LONGER A PRIORITY or our first choice. And GF and I have already decided that next cruise will be on another cruise line - we're looking for a new flavor. By my accounts that is around $7,000 that I will NOT be spending with RCCL as a Cubic Zirconia member of the Crap and Anchor society.

Good for you Andy.

The same here...

Let The Crap & Anchor Society use the money they are saving

to recruit new passengers to fill their ships.

They won't have Gary & Susan anymore for sure.

You can only take away and, take away and, drop quality

so long before it starts to create resentment from your passengers, and, with us this,

it has now reached it's point.

We really enjoyed that Concierge Lounge every evening

BEFORE dinner to socialize, and, we planned our next cruises there usually.

I think we'll try Oceania next time I book something.

I have been wanting to try them.

We certainly won't be booking R.C.C.L. anymore. :mad:

It took a long time to get to Diamond only to have the goal post moved further away. One reason for some many Diamond members is that the program is a success. The very program that brought RCL success is being changed and thousands of Diamond members are being alienated. We have asked Princess if they will credit us for our RCL points for our switching our loyalty to Princess for our future cruises. When big business takes something away from you, don't agree with it, and don't lay down and take it. We have written RCL and told them that we have backed off on purchases onboard, purchase nothing at Labadee and Coco Cay, and whenever possible are making our own arrangements in port for tours. A 4 hours port tour that RCL charges close to $100 for, is being offered to hotel guests in port for much less for the entire day. In the past we have accepted the increases in future purchases, however, taking away Diamond benefits is over the line. It is disloyal of RCCL. We are prepared to cancel our two upcoming Inaugural Cruises and are waiting on RCCL's response to this magilla they have created.

If this scenario were to actually happen, and Princess were to allow Diamond Members to join their Elite tier, they too, would have to find a larger lounge for their Elite members (plus Diamonds) as there could be quite an exodus, and a major coup for Carnival Corporation (who owns Princess). As some of you know, Princess has a lounge for their premium past cruisers, that allows for discounted drinks in the evening. I believe that Princess would sail full on every voyage, just with the overflow of unhappy Diamond members.

What a shame for RCCL. I wrote of an alternative plan last night, which I think would help ease the pain, because it's precisely the plan that Princess uses.

I have had 2 comments. None negative. This has led me to believe that it truly is more about the free drinks than anything else.

Rick

I have no issues with your view on things and given your cruising resume, it makes sense.

Now look at it from my point of view. When I started cruising on RCCL five years ago, I had never tried another cruise line. Did I enjoy the RCCL ships? Sure, without question. But I've heard some pretty good things about other lines too. What kept us loyal to Royal was the C&A program and that CL carrot dangling out there. I know it seems like a little thing, but it tipped the scale enough to not let us look elsewhere. And I'm sure if you asked the brass at RCCL, they would tell you that was the idea... to get people to stay here and reach for the diamond goal.

Now that they have pulled back that perk (as is their right to do), they have just made themselves equal with everyone else for our vacation dollar. In fact, why would I not try some other lines now? Maybe there is something else I'll like more. Sure, you have settled on RCCL, but we are all different, aren't we? I might cruise Carnival or Princess or Norweigan and prefer one of them for some reason. Who knows? In addition, I have never tried a all-inclusive at an island. This move has also opened that up as an option for us. Not that it wasn't an option before, but we admittedly had "Diamond vision" and were chasing the carrot.

We haven't gone right out and canceled our August booking, but we are comparing options. I know for a fact I'll cruise RCCL again, whether it be in August or another time. But no longer will it be exclusively. At least not until I have tried everything else for myself and determined that it is my preference.

That is exactly what I was talking about and I certainly hope that your next vacation, whether it be land or cruise, RCI or not is a great one!!! :cool:

I've also chosen to switch lines. I decided my next cruise won't be with Royal Caribbean but rather with Celebrity. And in the mean time I've decided to start panhandling to make up for the free drinks Royal Caribbean has taken away.

We're diamond C&A (also not happy about recent changes, but that's life), recently took our first Celebrity cruise. Guess what - no free drinks on Celebrity, even as Elite Captain's Club members, and frankly, we didn't think the cruise experience was as good as Royal Caribbean.

GF and I are going to Paris for the same exact week we were going to be on our cruise. I reached Cubic Zirconia (diamond) status to only have the goal post move further away. RCCL and cruising with them is NO LONGER A PRIORITY or our first choice. And GF and I have already decided that next cruise will be on another cruise line - we're looking for a new flavor. By my accounts that is around $7,000 that I will NOT be spending with RCCL as a Cubic Zirconia member of the Crap and Anchor society.

One less whiner.

We're diamond C&A (also not happy about recent changes, but that's life), recently took our first Celebrity cruise. Guess what - no free drinks on Celebrity, even as Elite Captain's Club members, and frankly, we didn't think the cruise experience was as good as Royal Caribbean.

You do realize that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are owned by the same company. So, if your goal is to punish the company for taking away perks you picked the wrong cruise line. :rolleyes:

One less whiner.

Indeed! I will get my free drinks somewhere else. I've turned my additional room at home into a concierge lounge and after I invite all my friends and it gets too crowded I will ask them never to return!

You do realize that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are owned by the same company. So, if your goal is to punish the company for taking away perks you picked the wrong cruise line. :rolleyes:

It was a joke. I figured the panhandling part would give it away. ;)

Damn businesses not giving stuff away for free! :mad:

It was a joke. I figured the panhandling part would give it away. ;)

Damn businesses not giving stuff away for free! :mad:

LoL.

I got it when I read it. I knew from your previous posts where you stood. ;)

LoL.

I got it when I read it. I knew from your previous posts where you stood. ;)

Apparently I'm in good company. I guess I just grew up learning not to expect handouts and pay for what you want. I cruise with RCI because I like their product and have no problem spending my money with them. The C&A book and other perks are just icing on the cake.

Did you understand the replacement of a removed benefit with another (lessened) benefit?

Customers can appreciate the reduction of benefits when their loyalty is still recognized and rewarded by other means.

If the "problem" is overcrowding in the Concierge or overflow lounges, this addresses the "problem".

If the "problem" is cost containment of complimentary cocktails, this addresses that "problem".

I offer suggested alterations and am still met with denigrating remarks.

Welcome to the Cruise Critic Royal Carribean Message Board. You are not supposed to post a post that makes sense or have a valid opinion. Unless you choose the "rah rah route" most people take pleasure in shooting you down.

I have had 2 comments. None negative. This has led me to believe that it truly is more about the free drinks than anything else.

Rick

In our case, it isn't about the free drinks...well, alcohol anyway. We love the services the concierge performs such as handing out ice skating show tickets, white baggage tags, and tender tickets when they are required. We really enjoy the coffee machine and the breakfast snacks. We enjoy sitting in the lounge during the day and talking with other frequent cruisers. Mid day, the lounge is never crowded.

These are things that the new "enhanced" coupon books simply cannot replace for us.

There is one more thing too. I feel that RCCI is taking a hit financially in these tough times, but who are they choosing to apply their harshest austerity measures to? Why it is the Diamond Level of C&A! It doesn't make sense.

For example, we are half way through Diamond to Diamond Plus. We've been Diamond long enough to have enjoyed the perks and now they are yanked from us, at the same time we have a long way to go to reach Diamond Plus. Additionally, we have the concern that if and when we do reach Diamond Plus, the perks won't be yanked again. The confidence isn't there right now, I must admit.

Yes, I know the ownership is the same. We booked our Celebrity cruise summer of 2008, took it in January 2009. It had nothing to do with rumored or recent changes, had nothing to do with punishing anyone. There was an itinerary we loved, and that's why we took that cruise. We also knew at the time of booking the Celebrity cruise, that the Captains Club perks were less than what we were used to on RCI, and actually, probably less than the "new" Diamond perks. So, loyalty perks weren't a factor for us in booking that cruise.

We booked our upcoming Serenade cruise over a year ago, and we're looking forward to it. I was just pointing out to the OP that going to Celebrity isn't going to give him the free drinks back (not an important issue with us, frankly - we're not drinkers), or necessarily going to give him a better cruise experience.

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! One less crybaby to worry about being on a wonderful RCCL cruise with me!

Climbing on my soapbox... (Fair warning!!)

Isn't it grand to live in a country where you can have that choice... moving your vacation to another cruiseline or another venue entirely? You have made a choice. Good for you. Maybe in your shoes I would have made the same decision. I don't "walk in your shoes..." Your money your call. However you want to say it.

This is an open board and a free country (for now...) and you can always voice your opinion as long as the OPs don't deem you a bad person and cut you off.

BUT... why air your discontent here? Who are you trying to hurt? My guess is that you want others to follow your choice. Fine. If they want to, be my guest! Maybe you want to hurt RCCL for what they are doing (and I don't agree with all of it myself) to keep their business viable in order to give me and all of us beautiful ships and fantastic vacations. But I for one do not particularly care to hear your whinning. Please just go and go quietly. As we here in Atlanta have always say in regards to those who always gripe about how bad Atlanta's traffic, weather, whatever is... " Delta is ready when you are..." Go to Carnival, Princess, whatever cruise line you think is better. By all means go.

I for one enjoy cruising. RCCL in particular. I have cruised Carnival and Princess and have nothing bad to say about them. I just choose RCCL. I enjoy cruising for what it is, in my opinion the BEST value for your money for a vacation. Again... just my opinion...

In this day in time companies do what they must to survive. So be it! But at least they are still there for me! :D

So flamers, whiners and those who disagree, if you are not happy with RCCL, don't try to ruin everyone elses fun. ... my opinion and we welcome yours...

------------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

Previous Cruises

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2001

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

Something in 2009 - just have not decided yet

RCCL Oasis of the Seas - April 17, 2010

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day - 2011

In our case, it isn't about the free drinks...well, alcohol anyway. We love the services the concierge performs such as handing out ice skating show tickets, white baggage tags, and tender tickets when they are required. We really enjoy the coffee machine and the breakfast snacks. We enjoy sitting in the lounge during the day and talking with other frequent cruisers. Mid day, the lounge is never crowded.

These are things that the new "enhanced" coupon books simply cannot replace for us.

There is one more thing too. I feel that RCCI is taking a hit financially in these tough times, but who are they choosing to apply their harshest austerity measures to? Why it is the Diamond Level of C&A! It doesn't make sense.

For example, we are half way through Diamond to Diamond Plus. We've been Diamond long enough to have enjoyed the perks and now they are yanked from us, at the same time we have a long way to go to reach Diamond Plus. Additionally, we have the concern that if and when we do reach Diamond Plus, the perks won't be yanked again. The confidence isn't there right now, I must admit.

Great positive comments.

I don't know if you have ever cruised on the Jewel, but would the Odyssey Lounge work for you in the morning for coffee, etc.

I realize that you (and many others) will be losing the CL, but would coffee and cappuccino in that lounge be compromise.......that would keep you cruising with RCCL.......rather than walk away from the cruise line??

Rick

Climbing on my soapbox... (Fair warning!!)

Isn't it grand to live in a country where you can have that choice... moving your vacation to another cruiseline or another venue entirely? You have made a choice. Good for you. Maybe in your shoes I would have made the same decision. I don't "walk in your shoes..." Your money your call. However you want to say it.

This is an open board and a free country (for now...) and you can always voice your opinion as long as the OPs don't deem you a bad person and cut you off.

BUT... why air your discontent here? Who are you trying to hurt? My guess is that you want others to follow your choice. Fine. If they want to, be my guest! Maybe you want to hurt RCCL for what they are doing (and I don't agree with all of it myself) to keep their business viable in order to give me and all of us beautiful ships and fantastic vacations. But I for one do not particularly care to hear your whinning. Please just go and go quietly. As we here in Atlanta have always say in regards to those who always gripe about how bad Atlanta's traffic, weather, whatever is... " Delta is ready when you are..." Go to Carnival, Princess, whatever cruise line you think is better. By all means go.

I for one enjoy cruising. RCCL in particular. I have cruised Carnival and Princess and have nothing bad to say about them. I just choose RCCL. I enjoy cruising for what it is, in my opinion the BEST value for your money for a vacation. Again... just my opinion...

In this day in time companies do what they must to survive. So be it! But at least they are still there for me! :D

So flamers, whiners and those who disagree, if you are not happy with RCCL, don't try to ruin everyone elses fun. ... my opinion and we welcome yours...

clapping.GIF

Indeed! I will get my free drinks somewhere else. I've turned my additional room at home into a concierge lounge and after I invite all my friends and it gets too crowded I will ask them never to return!

Hey, you gotta give the OP points for this one! I love this post.. haha.

Actually cruisers can return to the CL once they make D+ or book a suite.

Archived