Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

My fellow CC poster, Curley;

There are so many things wrong with your response, I don't even know where to begin.

How about your snide beginning. Why did you feel it neccessary to be insulting?

Who's insulting. At least you took some time to try and figure things out

Granted, maybe I'm not the "buseness genuis" you are, but,

What the ..... are you talking about??????

Your first mistake is in thinking that "Controlling Expenses" is going to help you "Generate Revenues" if you P_ss off your customers to do it.

Let's see:

In todays economy should we

A) Do something to get customers to BOOK MORE CRUISES

considering the ship's cabins are about 93% sold isn't too bad in this economy with almost 90days to go. depending on how many families there are with more than 2 in a cabin, they may be even closer to 100% or more capacity.

B) Do something that will make our best customers CANCEL THEIR CURRENTLY BOOKED CRUISES.

why didn't you cancel yours if you are so mad at them??

Should we

A) Create an atmosphere so people will go out and tell others they should book with RCI.

What's wrong with the atmosphere?? they have some of the nicest ships

B) P-ss of our best customers so they will go out and tell all their friends and family to STAY AWAY FROM RCI.

just because one may have a diamond status doesn't mean they are your best customers, some on this forum have proved that.

I suppose you would pick "B" in both cases - common sense would pick "A"

I remember in sales training they taught us to inflate any stat-numbers to make them look larger than reality..... But you just make people not believe anything you say. If people are not getting the free drinks why in the world do you think "that means they will just go out and buy them".

The whole point is that they WON'T BE THERE TO GENERATE ANYTHING. Why can't you comprehend the obvious?? Really??

The obvious is there will be others to replace the very few that actually leave. You didn't, did you. Do you think there are only so many people in the world to go around, that once one leaves there is not another to replace them???

OH REALLY!! Then tell me why our cruise this July (the busiest time of the year) is close to final payment and STILL HAS OVER 150 CABINS AVAILABLE. (at an average price of $1500 per cabin..... Well you do the math and tell me about "Increasing / Generating Revenue)

If you believe it is because of this change in the C/A, then I've got some real good swamp land here in SW Florida.

Yeah, but Carnival is offering it at about 60% of the price that RCI is wanting; and without the discounts/OBC that RCI has taken away!

So, why haven't you made the move and saved yourself some dough??

This is ONE statement you made that is correct. Not intentionally, but even the highest executives make some MAJOR mistakes in their decisions.

OK, there was so much "CRAP" (as you put it) in this paragraph, I wasn't going to nitpick; but your last statement was too much.

The whole OUTRAGE from the Diamond members is because RCI DID PROMISE, "sail with us 10 times (spend about $20-30 THOUSAND) and you will get to enjoy the Concierge Lounge". Again, Why can't you comprehend the obvious??

What Promise?? Seems to me it says the program can change at any time.

This is the most idiotic and insulting of all....... If you're the Business Genius, then look at the history....... Last year the stock was $35-$40!!! RCI also promised "Buy 100 shares and we'll give you OBC for every cruise you book." I waited and bought it at $23!! (A real bargain huh???) And now they have taken that promise away too!! How the heck can you say $10 is any good????

Last year the affects of the economy had not hit the cruise industry very hard. People weren't selling the stock in droves until later in the year.Times were still very good, and most people had not felt the affects on their personal lives. The downturn in the economy has really come about in the last quarter of 08, and the 1st qtr this yr. Just look at the unemployment history in the last 6 months compared to the previous 6.

The still give the OBC if you have 100 shares. If you only bought the stock for the OBC, then shame on you, I doubt if a good financial advisor would reccomend it.

Actually $10 is GREAT. I purchased 12,500 shares at 5.80 beginning of March. Had the sell order in today at $10 for 8500 shares. You do the math.

Last year the affects of the economy had not hit the cruise industry very hard. People weren't selling the stock in droves until later in the year.Times were still very good, and most people had not felt the affects on their personal lives. The downturn in the economy has really come about in the last quarter of 08, and the 1st qtr this yr. Just look at the unemployment history in the last 6 months compared to the previous 6.

The still give the OBC if you have 100 shares. If you only bought the stock for the OBC, then shame on you, I doubt if a good financial advisor would reccomend it.

Actually $10 is GREAT. I purchased 12,500 shares at 5.80 beginning of March. Had the sell order in today at $10 for 8500 shares. You do the math.

Good for you...

I did the math and, all I could come up with for an answer was

CAPITAL GAINS taxes. :D

Good for you...

Gary..........I don't think that he held it long enough for that. I believe it's called "ordinary income"............taxed at a much higher rate!:)

Rick

Good for you...

Oh, you would rather not make anything at all, so you could pay no taxes?? That makes a lot of sense. I guess you would rather pay less taxes, than have more $$ to spend.

Sorry, even after taxes, I still have more than I started with, no matter how it it's taxed.

Guess you haven't cruised on those long cruises that attract long time RCCL cruisers. There is nothing pleasant about the CLs or the overflow lounges.

Good grief, now I'm having to explain myself. Diamond members have indeed been screwed!!!!

I have been on three trans-Atlantics with RCI on Voyager of the Sea and found the overflow lounge very nice. Never had to wait more than five minutes for a beverage (and I had to go when it opened because our seating was 5:30) and never saw anyone else waiting a long time. Waiters came around frequently to get more drinks if we wanted. They had music for dancing.

Tucker in Texas

I've been on the Explorer, Brillance, Navigator and the Jewel and the CL and overflow lounges we overflowing, also the Independence last Nov. when they closed the Diamond Lounge and used the night club. The Jewel TAs I've heard are really crazy with crowds in the lounges.

Again, not sure how I got to the point of having to explain myself, but I do think Diamond members are a new Royal group called the RSes.

Well this is still the time to be buying in the market not selling. JMO

I see another business genius here. First of all it is not about just an expense, and when did RC ever say it was? ( They will still be giving Free Drinks on the ships that will carry about 40% of the fleets pax with in the next 18 months). I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, though. A company like RC or any other looks at revenues, and how they can generate them, while controlling it's expenses.

Let's see if the 100 Ds buy 2 drinks each instead at an ave of 6.50 that is $1300 in revenue generated per day. For 7 days it is about $9200, with the same $882 cost. Take $9200 net x 10 ships for 52 weeks. Over 4.5MIL, not a bad increase in revenue.

I've read about a lot of pax saying they will go elsewhere but most have made other excuses why they can't cancel just yet. Actually very few have cancelled. Let's say 20% actually cancel, and I think I am over estimating it. That's 20 cabins, using your 100 D person analogy, no matter what type. RC will fill those cabins, or come fairly close to it, and probably generate more revenue again, with on board purchases , excursions etc.

Most new pax or some 2 or 3 timers, or even more, aren't worrying about the free drinks it may take them 5 or 10 yrs to get. They are there for the other things RC has to offer, which is more appealing to a younger pax now, and even families, which is what RC, Carnival, NCL are opting for.

No company intentionally tries to p_ss off its customers. Business plans have to constantly change with the industry and competition.

All of a sudden we have all these "Loyal" pax turning on RC because of a few free drinks, and now also coming up with other things to complain about as well. If the only reason someone kept cruising with RC was the perks, but thought everything else was crap, and was unhappy with RC, as seems to be some sentiments now, then who is the fool here. There's also no loyalty either if you can be swayed that easily. Was there no other reason to sail with RC? There was never a guarantee the C/A programs wouldn't change. No one promised anything. Companies change their loyalty programs all the time. Maybe people need to stop being so naive.

RC will come out of this just fine. Btw, the stock closed over $10 today, and has been over $9 for a cpl of weeks now. I doubt that any one buying feels RC is going to fall on their face here.

I am one who has always been for, if you ain't happy, don't give em your dough. I am sure there may be another line for you somewhere, and thats ok, you won't be missed.

applause.gif

Guess you haven't cruised on those long cruises that attract long time RCCL cruisers. There is nothing pleasant about the CLs or the overflow lounges.

Good grief, now I'm having to explain myself. Diamond members have indeed been screwed!!!!

Well on the TA's they should just make it all inclusive in the bars then, they just want to fill as many cabins as they can at very low prices. Someone to tip the employees. Those long term cruises don't interest me, maybe later in life, who knows?

My husband and I don't actually spend much time in the CL or the overflow, never have but we do use the services of the concierge.

And yes, Diamond members have indeed been screwed!

I've been on the Explorer, Brillance, Navigator and the Jewel and the CL and overflow lounges we overflowing, also the Independence last Nov. when they closed the Diamond Lounge and used the night club. The Jewel TAs I've heard are really crazy with crowds in the lounges.

Again, not sure how I got to the point of having to explain myself, but I do think Diamond members are a new Royal group called the RSes.

My experiences with the overflow lounges have been different. But I generally sail expensive high season cruises (Holiday and summer sailings) when there are more families and fewer "Old Timers".

RSes? And what pray tell is that? If it is an insult go ahead, we "Whiners " are used to it.

Well, as far as having to keep explaining yourself...umm are you blaming the readers of your posts for that?

Just wondering,

Colleen

Sorry ... I know you are setting a 'simpathetic' tone, but I've done three Transatlantics on the Brilliance. And the Concierge Lounge and the overflow lounges, which were done a couple different places, were just fine. I enjoyed each very much.

My first cruise on RCCL was unremarkable, to the point that I was not going to do another ... took a long time. The old Nordic Prince was a little long in the tooth. One contributor said, when I mentioned that I could not prove that I had done the cruise, that 'they' always saved their 'sea passes'. I'm not sure that they had 'sea pass' cards then. I think the doors had a 'latch and a string'. But the next cruise was Radiance ... and I signed up for C&A ... and finally, years later I found a credit card receipt with Nordic Prince on it. RCI accepted that as evidence ... and 14 years later I became a "Diamond". And now I've discovered that my 'loyalty' was wasted. I spent 'time and treasure' to cruise RCCL. The ports were not convenient, the airline connections were difficult, as compared to other cruise lines. I enjoyed Royal Caribbean. But, I hate getting cheated. Yes, I was foolish ... and I hate to be foolish! Shame on you Royal Caribbean ... I will not be 'fooled' twice!:mad:

Well on the TA's they should just make it all inclusive in the bars then, they just want to fill as many cabins as they can at very low prices. Someone to tip the employees. Those long term cruises don't interest me, maybe later in life, who knows?

My husband and I don't actually spend much time in the CL or the overflow, never have but we do use the services of the concierge.

And yes, Diamond members have indeed been screwed!

My experiences with the overflow lounges have been different. But I generally sail expensive high season cruises (Holiday and summer sailings) when there are more families and fewer "Old Timers".

RSes? And what pray tell is that? If it is an insult go ahead, we "Whiners " are used to it.

Well, as far as having to keep explaining yourself...umm are you blaming the readers of your posts for that?

Just wondering,

Colleen

Oh good grief, I'm not an "old timer"(and never have done a TA) and used that term "old timer" in a very negative light!! More importantly, if you had read my earlier posts you'd have known RS means Royally Screwed.

Colleen, I have never called anyone a "whiner" and, in fact, posted on the "Whiner" thread, who's worse, those whining or those complaining about those whining.

I am truly sorry RCCL took this stand with the diamond members, but I think you've missed my points, I'll leave it at that. We have a number of cruises booked into 2010 and only 2 are on Royal.

Please, take a break from this, you are losing your fan base, including me. Unfortuanately you've become a pit bull on this topic.

And MANY of us think it is an EXCELLENT decision and will lobby for it to be kept as it is! If you don't like it either get over it or move on to Carnival! :D

Would you please tell us why you think this is an excellent decision. Do you think this decision will increase RCL profits or limit their losses? If so, how? Perhaps you have some valid points some of us have not yet considered.

Bob :cool:

Thought this might amuse some of you. Just received my cruise docs. Guess what? I am Diamond - no Plus!!:D:D

Will try and get it sorted - if no luck, will cancel my Jewel Baltic and go for the best deal on HAL. Won't be more expensive.

That's it though!! Will not be writing, will not be petitioning, will not be getting irritated, will just move on with our lives!!

Its a Corporation, not my best friend. They don't care about me and I don't care about them - the good ol' days of loyalty to anyone are long gone!!

Oh, you would rather not make anything at all, so you could pay no taxes?? That makes a lot of sense. I guess you would rather pay less taxes, than have more $$ to spend.

Sorry, even after taxes, I still have more than I started with, no matter how it it's taxed.

Sounds to me like you got 4,000 "free" shares and enough profit after taxes for a "free" cruise !!

Good on you.

Oh good grief, I'm not an "old timer"(and never have done a TA) and used that term "old timer" in a very negative light!! More importantly, if you had read my earlier posts you'd have known RS means Royally Screwed.

Colleen, I have never called anyone a "whiner" and, in fact, posted on the "Whiner" thread, who's worse, those whining or those complaining about those whining.

I am truly sorry RCCL took this stand with the diamond members, but I think you've missed my points, I'll leave it at that. We have a number of cruises booked into 2010 and only 2 are on Royal.

Please, take a break from this, you are losing your fan base, including me. Unfortuanately you've become a pit bull on this topic.

Whoa!!!! Sorry we miscommunicated. "Old Timer" was a term I meant for people who are well into their Diamond Plus Status doing it over years and years. No negativity implied. I am in my fifties, not exactly young, probably older than you, who knows? Sorry you saw that term as derogatory, it certainly was not meant that way. I just meant people who had been sailing RCI for YEARS, ie Oldtimers. Sorry we have only been cruising them 6 years, with only one cruise prior to that.

When you said obviously I had never done the long cruises I assumed you meant the TA's. I have done a 12 night Europe Cruise and the CL on the Jewel was not out of control that I remember, but we didn't go often in the evening. That was 2005, before we were Diamond. We were sailing in the Royal Family Suite and had access to the concierge then. But that was back when RCI treated people like Adults and we purchased a bottle in the duty free on board, paid a fee and had our pre-dinner drinks on our balcony. We still bought plenty of drinks in the bar and did the wine package.

***Hey RCI....another suggestion to eliminate over crowding in the CL. Let people buy a bottle from you, pay the fee and make their own drinks when they are in their cabin.***

Anyway, no I did not recognize you as a poster and I am sorry but your posts came off in a certain way. As you can tell from other posts responding to you. Obviously you did not mean for them to come off in that manner. As far as the Rs's I had never seen that before.

The Whiner comment is just that folks like me have been continually called that and we have adopted the name, so to speak, because by doing so it took the power away from the insult intended by being called that name.

So we have really had a major miscommunication here and I do apologize for that and for any hurt feelings you may have had by any comments by me.

As far as the "fan base", well I only post about this subject because I truly believe it may make a difference. I have spent just about 6 figures with this company in 6 years (big family, many cabins/suites) and I am genuinely PO'd at RCI. I really hope this decision can be changed. I have been given that hope by employees at RCI. It may all be for naught but I am willing to keep trying.

Sorry about our miscommunication, if we ever find ourselves on the same sailing please let me buy you a drink.

Oh and I am going to let the pit bull comment go by the wayside. I am not one. And I think when we sit back and realize we are on the same page you will agree.

Happy Cruising,

Colleen

Suzanne.

Let me respond to this in a "other side of the argument" instead of a "i completely disagree with you" way.

I do not love Marriott's program. They miss out on what I consider some of the basic needs of the company. Most of their lounges are open only Monday to Friday. They only recognize nights stayed. And their levels are among the hardest to get in the hotel business.

Now this translates to your post about how to fix RCCL.

I agree completely RCCL has to fix it. I do not like the way they did it, but agree with them they had to do something. They were broken from the start with it being lifetime. The numbers will only go up up up and something like this whole situation will happen.

As I've stated before, my biggest issue is everyone crying its all about nights at sea. This is NOT a fair measure of value to the company. Those people who spend more are more valuable. So there has to be a mechanism to consider spending. Similar to Hilton although they're another who used "feedback" to ruin their program. But you can make grade in 3 ways. Stays(cruises), Nights(same), or Basepoints(spending/cabin choice). And these are not something you can combine. They track all 3, but its not like this many nights can be combined with a long nights and some high spending to make it. You must make the threshhold in one of the categories all year.

And this brings me to point 2. There MUST be a requal system. If they do not have a way to remove status, this will as people predict eventually effect the D+ in the same way. Of course the current D+ may be on to a new level, but the idea is the same. If the numbers can only go up, the system is broken.

I feel the suggestion above allows everyone to go about it in their chosen way. Those that want to cruise many nights in any cabin can. Those that want to be recognized for sailing suites will be. Those that take the short ones, will be. The trick is to figure out the level in each category but in my looking at other lines I think Princess with their 1 cruise or 10 nights is on the right track.

And if you're to make it a yearly requal, I think there should be a "sail this many to maintain per year" as a kicker on the life time numbers. But this gets too gray for me to figure out for the company for free.

I agree with you it's not perfect and I understand it needs to be adapted to a cruiseline which I think it can be. There are different levels in Marriott similar to the present C & A program too. As someone else noted Marriott or Hilton's programs are designed basically for business travelers who travel quite a bit but I am not saying you need to cruise 30 days to get the CL either and I suggested 12 as an example but of course others will want less days or more so there is no perfect number but in my opinion it would be a better alternative to explore then just excluding diamonds altogether. Nights at sea is just another way of saying how much money you are spending. So by putting a number on them they are assuring that you will at least be onboard long enough to hopefully spend X amount of money. As other purchases with hotel chains go toward points, onboard spending could also. I was not clear about this in my post but I would make it a level playing field for ALL C & A members from Gold thru D plus, the same rules apply to everyone, it would be based purely on how many sea days and how much you spent with the company in a year period no matter who you were to get the CL as a perk. A specific amount and how to get it would have to be created, this is only a concept for how it may work.

If we didn't spend money on RCCL cruises we never would have moved up, so ultimately it was all based on money anyway. Many people on here have other cruiselines in their sigs, if they had spent that money with RCCL instead they would have been D plus long ago. Instead they spent money with other cruiselines which was their choice and absolutely nothing wrong with that and many people have perks on other cruiselines based on the money spent with them too. I really see the whole thing as money spent with any cruiseline to get any perks at all. You are basically rewarded for the money you spend, that's how they measure it.

Honestly, I think RCCL will remain firm in it's decision to limit the use of the CL so my suggestion and others are probably useless at this point anyway but maybe they are listening and open to ideas. I would hope that they did consider other options before coming to this decision and I'm sure they can track onboard spending and all the money every person spends with RCCL and they based their decision on that as well as space.

Some say the CL's and overflows have not been crowded on their cruises and it may depend on the ships but on the Explorer they have both been packed with people and space is an issue. I think there have been great suggestions on here such as the drink coupons that could be used at any lounge on the ships or using other areas not in use during specific times but I really think it's just a tough economy and they are looking at increasing the bottom line first before a space issue. Maybe they should have raised the amount of credits to get to diamond/d plus a long time ago too but they didn't. I would not be surprised to see another level created though that may exclude some D plus in the near future too by raising amount of credits as many diamonds are close to making D plus so this will be an ongoing issue for them if they do not do that.

After July 1 RCCL has given us 3 options to enjoy the CL. Book a suite, book a Freedom or Oasis class ship for the diamond CL, or keep sailing RCCL to reach D plus. People are going to continue to do they've always done, book a cruise on the ship and cruiseline they enjoy the most with an intinerary they want to do:)

Thought this might amuse some of you. Just received my cruise docs. Guess what? I am Diamond - no Plus!!:D:D

Will try and get it sorted - if no luck, will cancel my Jewel Baltic and go for the best deal on HAL. Won't be more expensive.

That's it though!! Will not be writing, will not be petitioning, will not be getting irritated, will just move on with our lives!!

Its a Corporation, not my best friend. They don't care about me and I don't care about them - the good ol' days of loyalty to anyone are long gone!!

If you are D plus it doesn't show on docs ( just diamond) but it will show on seapass. I've had that happen a few times. It showed that on my Dec., Sept. docs and my April ones now but still D plus:) I think it's been that way since they went to smaller doc book from the one bound with rings.

If you are D plus it doesn't show on docs ( just diamond) but it will show on seapass. I've had that happen a few times. It showed that on my Dec., Sept. docs and my April ones now but still D plus:) I think it's been that way since they went to smaller doc book from the one bound with rings.

Thank you. We shall see in a few weeks time. Doesn't bother me that much - if we are not Plussers we still have a life - even without the CL!! But on our next cruise, Diamonds are still welcome in the CL. We hope!!

BTW - we became Diamond through being Elite on Celebrity, but had to work our way up again from nil to become Plussers. If they added the credits together, the overcrowding in the CL would be far worse!! Bad idea IMHO. Although I shudder to think how much we have actually spent with the Company over the years. We do like the Casino - but we don't drink - except cappucino!!

Old Timer" was a term I meant for people who are well into their Diamond Plus Status doing it over years and years.

I just want to point out it doesn't have to take years and years to get D plus. 2 credits for JS and up no matter what length of cruise it is. It took me less then 3 years sailing 9 and 12 night cruises in JS and OS ( extra credit for 12 nights so 3 credits if in JS or up) but I know people who made D plus in far less time sailing just 3-4 night cruises in JS and up. it's 12 cruises in a JS and up for 24 credits to be D plus and even less cruises if you do the long cruises as you get that extra credit for to total 3 in a suite. Some people sail in balcony or below at 1 credit for 24 cruises or 2 for long cruises and some mix it up and sail different cats all the time. It just depends on the cabin people choose and the length of cruise.

Maybe they should have raised the amount of credits to get to diamond/d plus a long time ago too but they didn't. I would not be surprised to see another level created though that may exclude some D plus in the near future too by raising amount of credits as many diamonds are close to making D plus so this will be an ongoing issue for them if they do not do that.

Suzanne,

Back in 2005 when we did the Jewel of the Seas on the British Isle/Norway sailing, we met a couple from our ship on an excursion in Paris. We were seated next to them on a riverboat lunch sailing on the Seine River. They showed us their Royal Caribbean "Kryptonite" Cards. They had obviously sailed with RCI many, many times and just had them printed up. This couple was a lot of fun and we had mucho fun with them on the cruise. Mr. Kryptonite was the guy who taught me how to play Roulette which is now my game in the casino. I still play the number 32 in his honor. Plus he taught me the etiquette of tipping the dealers. (I have never been much of a gambler)

Anyway, thanks to him I have left MANY donations in the RCI Casinos (except for on our Serenade Alaska sailing where I actually ended the week $1200 up) But that was/is definitely not the norm.

Anyway, your comments about "another level" reminded me of him and how much fun it is meeting people on our many cruises. We really do love sailing on RCI and have 3 cruises in the next year. I do hope they remedy this terrible decision. It has had an impact that I am sure that the Company did not intend. But the impact is there nevertheless and they should now do a mea culpa. We have all had to do that in our lives and in the long run it is the right thing to do.

So Diamonds, don't give up hope. Bad decisions can be made good if only those who made them would admit to it and change.

Happy Sailings,

Colleen

I'm a D+ who has started to cruise Celebrity, and yes, as a result of Royal I am Elite. Funny thing, on the Celebrity cruises we've taken there have been, OH MY, no concierge lounge. We've enjoyed Celebrity's two parties for return customers, but guys, we all can cruise and be happy without the CL.

Having said that, I totally think the Diamond members have been "Royal"ly screwed.!!!!!

I think this poster has a good point, YES we can enjoye cruising wihtout the CL its just a matter of whehter we will feel like we should continue cruising only with RCL after their decision to cut us off...

I for one will still cruise although not only with RCL, for instance costa offeres kids sail free cruises and since we have 3 kids this will save a bundle, before I have chosen not to try no I will try it, I only cancelled ONE out of three RCL cruises I had planned the others I kept intact...

I WILL AVOID RCL SHIPS BETWEEN JULY 1st and SEPT as I dont want to listen to this uproar onboard but after that ill look and see what line gives me the best value.. the ONLY line I wont go back to is NCL I did not enjoy them but the rest are free game...

for clarity and transperancy I will be D+ in less then 4 cruises.

Well this is still the time to be buying in the market not selling. JMO

Really. I bought and sold. I am not greedy. I'll take a modest gain and move on. I'll find something else to buy and sell.

I'll bet if you play a slot machine and start with $100, and run it up to $500, you probably don't walk away. You keep playing til you have given it all back.

Really. I bought and sold. I am not greedy. I'll take a modest gain and move on. I'll find something else to buy and sell.

I'll bet if you play a slot machine and start with $100, and run it up to $500, you probably don't walk away. You keep playing til you have given it all back.

Gee Curley, you and I seem to have more and more in common all the time. Pretty soon you, me, and J.C. might be hanging out in the Schooner bar together!:D

Archived