Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

This is the email in its entirety - I cut and pasted it:

With 20 ships currently in service around the globe and two magnificent ships under construction, Royal Caribbean International® has always regarded the optimum enjoyment of all our guests worldwide as a top priority. .......blah blah blah....

Due to limited capacity, the Concierge Lounge has not been able to accommodate our growing membership, challenging our ability to provide the optimum experience for our guests. Therefore the Concierge Lounge will now be accessible to our suite and Diamond Plus guests only. Diamond Members cruising on Freedom class, Oasis of the SeasSM, and Allure of the SeasSM will continue to be able to experience exclusive access to a dedicated Diamond Lounge on these ships, which feature a complimentary 'happy hour' from 5:00-8:30pm daily.

As you can see -- the CL is only available to DIAMOND members on FREEDOM CLASS, OASIS and ALLURE - which means NO LONGER available on Radiance class (4 ships), Voyager class (5 ships), & the Enchantment.

No, bhughey; the C.L. is NOT available to DIAMOND members on ANY class ships. There will be a seperate DIAMOND LOUNGE, and it looks like it will only be available from 5:00 to 8:30.

No Concierge service

No Breakfast/Coffee service

No Ice Tickets

No Priority Tenders

No Priority (all the other amenities we USED TO GET)

I just read the article in USA Today. I am glad to see this is going public.

I am not just upset over the CL. I am also upset over the $4.95 fee for Johnny Rockets ( up from $3.95) and the $15.00 fee for "late night" room service ( up from free). We spend alot of money on these cruises and I am mad that while onboard, we are nickel and dimed for insignificant things.

I dont get RC. We were looking at a 2 week South American cruise costing us approx $6000. They wouldnt give us the stockholder credit, the Pre-cruise credit and the balcony credit. OK....I am going to give you $6000 in exchange for a $500 credit. Does this make sense? If someone came up to me and said I will give you $6000 and you give me $500 back....I would start writing that check immediately!! Who is running this company????? Well we decided not to book the cruise and I hope RC knows that they lost $5500 in revenue.

The room service fee is $3.95 not $15.00

Based on the first quote of my post from someone who claims to have spoke with a live person.

So we can ignore the official e-mail from RCI and accept a verbal statement from an RCI Customer Rep? RCI Customer Service has a very poor reputation on these boards and my own experience with them is that they are very poorly prepared.

There's no reading between the lines on the e-mail, it's a one time event.

Point 2 is that even without CL access Royal Caribbean still has the best repeaters perks of all the other cruise lines.

I don't even consider that close. What perks? Without the CL there simply is not much there.

Princess has virtually free internet (we are heavy users and have never gone through our free package) after 5 cruises.

Princess has free internet + free laundry and dry cleaning + free mini-bar set up + free wine tastings + 10% discount in the shops after 15 cruises (or 150 days).

I didn't include some little bennies like disembarkation lounges.

So we can ignore the official e-mail from RCI and accept a verbal statement from an RCI Customer Rep? RCI Customer Service has a very poor reputation on these boards and my own experience with them is that they are very poorly prepared.

Gotta agree. Unless I see something in writing (and there is nothing new on the website) I am skeptical.

The e-mail does not explicitly state it is a one-time event. It says a "new event" but the CL happy hour is a single event occuring nightly. Again, perhaps people are reading too far into the e-mail and are negatively biased without considering the alternative.

I don't recall Royal Caribbean ever promising Diamond or any other level access to the CL. In fact most of their older ships do not have CL so you are out of luck sailing them even as a Diamond member

Point 2 is that even without CL access Royal Caribbean still has the best repeaters perks of all the other cruise lines.

Well, I have my Crown and Anchor Application in front of me, the "form" date 1/02. It has the advertised benefits listed for Gold, Platinum, and Diamond. There was no Diamond Plus. It states:

"Diamond {10+ cruises completed}, Cruise Vacation Benefits, Concierge Service on select ships." In practice that was the Radiance class ships and larger, plus the Enchantment, and I think there are one or two others that have CL's. Promise? "Depends upon what "is" "is" I suppose.";)

It clearly states, if you will: "Do this and you get that." RCCL's method of fulfilling that 'promise' over the past 8 or 9 years is clear. Past practice has made it quite clear to those receiving the benefit, and those striving for that benefit, exactly what that 'benefit' was. There is no confusion here. The Diamonds fulfilled their part of that agreement, and RCI is reneging on their part of the agreement. That is dishonest.:mad:

By the way, just saw a piece on CNBC on 'cruise lines' which highlighted NCL. They explained that their 'repeat customers' were their 'life blood', and they could not survive without them. Maybe RCCL should change their name to "Dumbo Caribbean".;)

I haven't received any email from RCL concerning the new Diamond status They should let all diamond members know exactly what the new policy really is I'm very disappionted with them. Patandy

I will most certainly read it in its entirety when I receive it. :eek:

The e-mail does not explicitly state it is a one-time event. It says a "new event" but the CL happy hour is a single event occuring nightly. Again, perhaps people are reading too far into the e-mail and are negatively biased without considering the alternative.

Perhaps, but if this is their current 'read', it would appear to be perhaps the method they are going to use to try to 'wiggle' out of a bad situation. That is to turn "A new event" into "A new nightly event", which is not what it says. If that is going to be the spin, it sure is going to keep the "ship's officers" busy going to cocktail parties every night. For those who speak and read English as a 'first' language, I reprint the appropriate part of the RCI E-mail (to some of their customers).

A new special event, hosted by our ship officers, for Diamond and above members to meet and mingle with other fellow members, and featuring complimentary wine, champagne and hors d'oeuvres.

Did she read the statement herself It does[not say there will be any lounge for diamond members PatandyQUOTE=ChalupaMama;19030936]I just got a phone call from someone at RCI in response to a complaint letter I sent. This woman claimed that people were misunderstanding their new policies and that there would be a separate room for Diamond members every night from 5-8:30 with wine, champagne and hors d'ouevres on all non-Freedom/Oasis-class ships. She said she would send this to me in writing.

Has anyone else had a call like this?

Past practice has made it quite clear to those receiving the benefit, and those striving for that benefit, exactly what that 'benefit' was. There is no confusion here. The Diamonds fulfilled their part of that agreement, and RCI is reneging on their part of the agreement. That is dishonest.:mad:

.;)

It seems I remember gas stations checking your oil,cleaning your windshield,and a smile. Grocery stores bagging your purchases correctly,airlines providing free drinks,pillows,meals and blankets.Also getting Christmas cards from your bank. Someone said that the only thing that is constant is change.

Thank you for your service to the protection of this great country we live in today.:)

No, bhughey; the C.L. is NOT available to DIAMOND members on ANY class ships. There will be a seperate DIAMOND LOUNGE, and it looks like it will only be available from 5:00 to 8:30.

No Concierge service

No Breakfast/Coffee service

No Ice Tickets

No Priority Tenders

No Priority (all the other amenities we USED TO GET)

Darrel/Donna: I think you have interpreted the information in the email incorectly. I have already posted this once, and I will do it again.

There is a "dedicated" Diamond Lounge on all Freedom class and all Oasis/Allure ships that will be open for Diamond Members to use as "their" lounge, just like the CL for Suite and D+. It is actually a nicer lounge since it is located on Deck 14 and has a beautiful view. The email states that it "will feature" hours of operation for hosted cocktails from 5:00 to 8:30 PM. This does not mean that it will ONLY be open those hours. It does have breakfast items and coffee machines!

The only time you won't have the use of the CL will be on ships other than Freedom or Oasis/Allure.

Perhaps I'm reading it at face value and not getting worked up over having to pay my own way.

I believe that I'm the one reading it at face value, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I do appreciate the fact, and agree with you, that you are not getting worked up over having to pay your own way. In the big picture, the cost of a couple of drinks before dinner is quite small, individually, and regardless of what many claim on this thread, the loss of the free drinks does appear to be an issue for quite a large percentage of posters.

I believe that I'm the one reading it at face value, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I do appreciate the fact, and agree with you, that you are not getting worked up over having to pay your own way. In the big picture, the cost of a couple of drinks before dinner is quite small, individually, and regardless of what many claim on this thread, the loss of the free drinks does appear to be an issue for quite a large percentage of posters.

Agreed!

I was simply stating there are two ways to read into the e-mail. Do I think you're right? Yes. It is probably intentionally vague and most, like us, will read into it negatively. I simply pointed out the possibility maybe we are too negative and they meant the event would just be hosted in another venue for Diamond members due to overcrowding in the CL on smaller ships. This theory would seem to be proven by the actual conversation, I think, two people had with customer service when their mail was returned with a call.

In the end I'm not Diamond and have not used that goal as reason to continue sailing with RCI. I've enjoyed my time with them and will continue to spend money with them until I no longer enjoy it.

We sailed on the Navigator and did not enjoy it. It had too many passengers, too crowded and not condusive to our preference for cruising. It may be others choice but it was not ours. We will not sail on the mega ships but if we elect to take another RC cruise (we are diamond) then we would avoid mega ships and stay with the R class. A CL would not be a perk that would get us to change. I respect that some like the crowds and the trapping and that is what makes up a world.

I feel the same as you! :)

Agreed!

I was simply stating there are two ways to read into the e-mail. Do I think you're right? Yes. It is probably intentionally vague and most, like us, will read into it negatively. I simply pointed out the possibility maybe we are too negative and they meant the event would just be hosted in another venue for Diamond members due to overcrowding in the CL on smaller ships. This theory would seem to be proven by the actual conversation, I think, two people had with customer service when their mail was returned with a call.

In the end I'm not Diamond and have not used that goal as reason to continue sailing with RCI. I've enjoyed my time with them and will continue to spend money with them until I no longer enjoy it.

But it did say an event, not nightly event. Do you honestly think the ship's officers are going to host this each evening?

But it did say an event, not nightly event. Do you honestly think the ship's officers are going to host this each evening?

Here is the answer right from RCI website under the Diamond "benefits":

Diamond Event hosted once per cruise on ships without a Diamond Lounge

Archived