Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

We have just recently reached Diamond status and are so appalled and very disappointed in this news. We have been giving Royal Caribbean all of our vacation dollars for years now and referred many, many people as well. We are not drinkers but like the sense of community and meeting people in the CL. We wouldn't even think of trying another cruise line until now. So sad that our loyalty is not appreciated.

Time to check out Carnival - looks like they have lots of deals out there - they must want our patronage!

We were just about to buy the the RCL stock - a company we really believed in! Sorry, Royal Caribbean, unless you rectify this - you are losing us!

If RCL wanted to make the best of this, they would have grandfathered in cruises booked or paid by a certain date. Imagine the rush of people making bookings or payments in order to retain this benefit!

I agree! I think RCL really dropped the ball on loyal customers with this news -- they should have grandfathered in those who are already Diamond members.

Thanks for the email addresses. I have just sent out my disappointment and ideas to both addresses. Everyone else who is upset should follow suit as soon as possible. It only takes 5 minutes.

Go for it Linda.

To be honest i think 2009 is going to be Royal Caribbean's 'annus horribilis'

jj.....

Thanks buddy. It's kinda similar to the company turn out at the Cruise Show. RCCL must have made a killing there...... something like 70 bookings over the weekend I believe. But a whole host of companies didn't even bother to turn up and others had a very perfunctory presence. I think the psychology is that once you've cruised you're hooked. I get that. I'm guilty of that. So they didn't feel the need to show a face.

With Oasis, Allure etc the sense is that people will cruise regardless of the benefits of staying with the same company but rather more for the whole experience. Isn't that how it should be? So now I'm arguing with myself by saying that in this recession stressed time the need to attract as many customers as possible, to sail a full ship, should be tantamount and the way to do that is to offer return guests some 'worthwhile' perks. Well I think the perks as they stand for Gold are puny and will be come punier. The perks aren't what brought me back to RCCL.

I actually had 10 times the fun at the roll call Meet and Mingle than I did at the returners party.

I'm pretty sure that if I were to be in Elizanessie's shoes for example and due the CL on a TA and having it taken away I would feel pretty miffed too. That's a whole load of loyalty that appears to be treated shabbily.

Suggestion : those of us already in the programme should stay in the programme as it is and introduce the new programme for first time cruisers.

Ramble over.

still not sure you can find a line with better loyalty benefits

you people that want to switch lines are not so bright, you're going to leave just because you cant have the lounge? you aren’t getting the lounge on any other line either and you're not going to have the other benefits... ever think about that? :rolleyes:

maybe you should think twice before making such rash decisions

Princess has very good benefits for their Elite passengers and the product is just as good IMHO.

In fairnes, they did replace it with that one party per cruise, but it sounds fairly lame.

Especially since there will be lots of grumpy people there.

I'm DP so for now I am not affected by the reduced CL access. Yet. They say that desperate times call for desperate measures. I'd say that this qualifies as desperate.

I spent all my vacation dollars with RCI over the past few years in order to reach the coveted Diamond status. Our upcoming TA cruise in April was our first chance to enjoy that status. As it happens, it will also be our last chance. IMHO it's a case of "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me". I will no longer be enticed to stay with RCI chasing the elusive and moving carrot. I will probably never reach D+, because I no longer believe in promised benefits. I usually go on two cruises per year (at least 10 days each) that I will now book based on value for my $$$ rather than potential loyalty benefits. Princess looks to be offering some great deals. I think that I will try them next.

Dorie

Just looking at P&O and Princess - so i might cancel my second cruise on the Brilliance in Oct.

Its not like my wife and i drink the lounge dry - we'd maybe have a drink before dinner and we enjoy a coffee in the afternoons in the quiet lol.

jj......

While I can certainly sympathize with my Diamond friends I don't think any of us can really be surprised by this. Something had to give eventually. They've been contemplating changes for approximately two years already and this is what they came up with. The Concierge Lounges have become unusable lately with over crowding, people sneaking friends in, and various other abuses. If use of the lounge is so important to you then book more cruises to achieve the Diamond Plus level. That's what we did since we knew this was inevitable. Another thing being overlooked is the fact that this change will really hurt the concierges. Think of all the tips they will be losing with a lack of diamond members.

I think that now would be the time to repeat:

Royal Caribbean could pretty much *solve the problem of too many Diamonds* by restricting Diamond status to those who have actually sailed the requisite number of cruises.

If you get rid of all the "household members" who get Diamond status regardless of how many times they have (or haven't) cruised based merely on the fact that a real Diamond cruiser uses the same address that they do, then I believe that the "problem" goes away.

How about it, Royal Caribbean? If you are in the mood to make changes and overhaul Crown & Anchor, THAT would be a good place to start.

NOT THIS.

You will alienate far fewer people who can no longer claim illegitimate, unearned Diamond status than you are now, dumping Diamonds out of the Concierge Lounge.

Who agrees with me?

While I can certainly sympathize with my Diamond friends I don't think any of us can really be surprised by this. Something had to give eventually. They've been contemplating changes for approximately two years already and this is what they came up with. The Concierge Lounges have become unusable lately with over crowding, people sneaking friends in, and various other abuses. If use of the lounge is so important to you then book more cruises to achieve the Diamond Plus level. That's what we did since we knew this was inevitable. Another thing being overlooked is the fact that this change will really hurt the concierges. Think of all the tips they will be losing with a lack of diamond members.

I'm definitely not surprised. I believe someone said something about this happening a year or so ago ........

I believe you will find that the cruise lines established this site. Anyone who thinks they don't monitor this site is just naive.

Of course they do. I don't think they have ever denied it. They'd be foolish not to.

Truthfully.............

How many Dia+ memebers are secretly happy about the new changes.

I feel really bad for the Diamond members and know I would be fumming along with you if I was Diamond.

But that said a part of me feels kind of happy about the change.

I don't have the numbers, but I wonder how long it will take before the number of Diamond plus members reaches a level that they will have to consider similar measures for us. Perhaps they do need to re-examine the way in which cruise credits are accrued.:confused:

Archived