Mariner-check-in and priority check-in procedures?

We have never cruised out of San Pedro before. We would like to know all about check-in and boarding for the Mariner. How early do they generally allow passengers to arrive at the port, we will be driving ourselves. What time do they start boarding and what is offered in the way of priority check-in or boarding for suite passengers? We have only cruised out of Port Canaveral before, so we don't know what to expect here, would love any guidance you may have to offer!

If there is a "suite" check-in line, get in it. Basically, suite guests are shown to the next available clerk without waiting in huge lines. (Of course, if a ton of suite passengers are checking in at the same time, you may still have a wait!!!)

We have never cruised out of San Pedro before. We would like to know all about check-in and boarding for the Mariner. How early do they generally allow passengers to arrive at the port, we will be driving ourselves. What time do they start boarding and what is offered in the way of priority check-in or boarding for suite passengers? We have only cruised out of Port Canaveral before, so we don't know what to expect here, would love any guidance you may have to offer!

We were on the Mariner last week. You are at Pier 91, and when you get there the luggage is dropped with the porters on the first building you come to, and then you walk to the next building to embark. Carryon scanning is quick, and there are tons of wickets for getting your ship card, didn't see a suites line but didn't need one. Most ships start boarding around noon, and when we were there about 12:30 it moved fast, no prob. The only hold up is filling out the health form at a back table saying you aren't sick, just a few questions.

-Bob

When we cruised on the Mariner in Feb. we arrived around 11:30 (I think) and there was no wait to check in whatsoever and we didn't need priority boarding. There was no congestion outside the terminal or inside. Check-in was a breeze.

The major problem we had was in the Windjammer. Everyone who had their embarkation lunch stayed at their tables until the cabins were ready to occupy (around 1, I think). Something needs to be done about that! There were no tables available for the newly checked in guests to have a lunch. Used to be, that folks would dump their carry-on in their cabin, go for a quick bite and then explore the ship. Not any more.....they stayed in the Windjammer monopolizing the tables.

• 3 weeks later...

We're on the Mariner next week - depart 4/19.

We're going to be staying at LAX after arriving sometime around 1:00AM. I'd like to get to the pier and on the ship as soon as reasonably possible. My thinking is to try to have the shuttle pick us up around 10:00ish, or have a goal of getting to the pier around 11:00.

If we get to the pier around 11:00 - will that be too early?

We're going to be staying at LAX after arriving sometime around 1:00AM. I'd like to get to the pier and on the ship as soon as reasonably possible. My thinking is to try to have the shuttle pick us up around 10:00ish, or have a goal of getting to the pier around 11:00.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

11 a.m. is a good time to arrive at the pier in San Pedro.

We have a VERY active Roll Call for this cruise - please come over and introduce yourself!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=581311

we arrived at 12:30 and check-in was a breeze. there was a diamond / suite check-in line, but everything was moving very quickly. we were on board in about 10 minutes. The check-in rep was very pleasant!!

you will love mariner. Captain Per is quite personable and the ship is spotless. no drink cups / abandoned plates / room service trays / other stuff on deck or in the cabin areas. there are so many activities and the staff is warm & friendly, but still professional. we had a bazillion kids on board but no problems at all (thankfully!). on-deck drink service was almost as persisitent as the beach vendors in Mexico, though :eek:. eventually it's easiest to just relent and buy whatever drink special they're offering ;)

Just off Mariner Sunday, and like you, we drove ourselves. (30 minute drive yay!) We arrived at 10:45, early. By the time we were in the terminal and luggage was whisked away it was 11. Saw the suite check in line. No line in that at all. We entered the Platinum/Diamond/D+ line and walked right up to the counter. Sat and waited in the roped off area (plat/diam/diam+)until 11:30 and were the first group on the ship.

(watch out, if you take any pics inside the terminal they get really mad!)

Basically on by about 11:40a. Explored for awhile as usual, then to the WJ. Pretty crowded, however there were some supervisors asking people very nicely to vacate their tables when done eating, to free them up for others. Nice move I thought.

Have a wonderful cruise, with Ken Rush and Captain Per you can't go wrong!!!

For those who have sailed out of San Pedro, do you think it would work to have someone (my DH and FIL) drop off our luggage at the porter with our car and then return to our hotel (the Doubletree) to park and ride the shuttle down with the rest of us in our group? We are parking at the hotel for the week. I figured it might be nice to use the car to drop everything off rather than trying to haul all of it plus a baby on the hotel shuttle.

I know you usually can't board until about 11 am, what about dropping off luggage? Are the porters there earlier?

Thanks!

For those who have sailed out of San Pedro, do you think it would work to have someone (my DH and FIL) drop off our luggage at the porter with our car and then return to our hotel (the Doubletree) to park and ride the shuttle down with the rest of us in our group? We are parking at the hotel for the week. I figured it might be nice to use the car to drop everything off rather than trying to haul all of it plus a baby on the hotel shuttle.

I know you usually can't board until about 11 am, what about dropping off luggage? Are the porters there earlier?

Thanks!

when we left sunday to go back home, I did notice the porters and this was about 10:15am. Im sure they are there earlier...as people disembark as early as 8am.

Thanks!

Hi there, we're sailing on the Mariner in Oct and I was lurking. I've found that if you are taking a shuttle and have a rent a car, the best thing is to drop off your luggage first. Sailing out of FLL, we did just that, dropped off the luggage and a case of water and then returned to the rent a car facility and got a shuttle to the port. It was so much easier than having to carry all those bags on the shuttle.

We plan on doing that for our trip in the fall.

Thanks for all the helpful replies! Can anyone tell me who boards first, the suite passengers or the plat/diam/diam plus+ I am thinking maybe they are all directed to the same area and board at the same time, however we are trying to pull off a little surprise for some family members and we need to know if we should place the "surprise puller-offers" in the suite line(yes they are booked in a suite) or the plat/diam/diam+ line, to get them on board asap- any ideas on this?

We did the same as you in March, arrived at LAX late evening and got a Priceline 4* room there for $55 till the morning. Just wanted to mention that Super Shuttle was way cheaper, about $8-10pp if I recall, if we would take the free hotel shuttle back to LAX and get the shuttle there instead of having them come to the hotel to get us. It was $32 per couple each way.

-Bob

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

11 a.m. is a good time to arrive at the pier in San Pedro.

We have a VERY active Roll Call for this cruise - please come over and introduce yourself!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=581311

Have a great time! Hoping you'll do a "live from"! Katie and I are sailing in October and would love your thoughts on this itinerary.

Wow Great info here! We are on the 5/3 cruise and staying in LB at the Weston the day before - as we are flying in from Boston.

I plan on calling the hotel to see if there is a shuttle to the ship

This is our 1st cruise on RCCL - so I am excited and trying to gather all the info I can - and these boards are GREAT!!!

Thank you!

Like Merion MOm says come over to the roll call and say hello. See you on the ship. That is the time I hope to arrive pierside :)

This is Barbara

Dennis and I have been to Mexico Riviera 62 times. 40 times on Vision of the seas.

Dennis passed away a week ago. I will be on the Mariner for the first time October 4 and

then again in December.

A lot of times in port you can get a deal on trips off of the ship. However, if something

goes wrong and you are not on a ships tour, RCCL wont hold the ship for you.

Many people go snorkeling or glass bottom boat tours in Cabo. Those are definetly cheaper

on shore.

Lots and lots of people I have cruised with do Randy's Happy Horses in Mazatlan. You can

book that on line. Some people go to Stone or Deer Islands. Some like it some not.

You can also do zip line in Mazatlan.

PV you can also do zip line, swim with the dolphins. They have a pirate boat trip that

seems to be very good.

I am on a motor scooter, so some of these trips I cannot do. Plus after 62 times,

mostly have been there done that. But I still enjoy the cruising.

Archived