New to the board and to cruising!

rjan67

Hi all! Not too sure where on the board I belong yet but thought I would introduce myself. I am Ruthann, mom to 3 school aged kids from Southwestern Ontario. Last week we put a deposit down on our first cruise! I am very, very excited! We are going on the Dream on March 13th 2010 to do the eastern Carribean cruise for 7 days. I have so many questions, so I was thrilled to find a board like this to gather information! The cruise is to celebrate my sister's birthday and my whole immediate family is going plus anyone else who wants to...so the list is growing! I was pleased to see that many others are planning ahead like me! When I bring it up, sometimes people say... but it's a year away and it makes me think that I shouldn't be even thinking about it yet! But I can't help it!

Anyway, if you see my name appear from time to time you will now know who I am! :D

Hi all! Not too sure where on the board I belong yet but thought I would introduce myself. I am Ruthann, mom to 3 school aged kids from Southwestern Ontario. Last week we put a deposit down on our first cruise! I am very, very excited! We are going on the Dream on March 13th 2010 to do the eastern Carribean cruise for 7 days. I have so many questions, so I was thrilled to find a board like this to gather information! The cruise is to celebrate my sister's birthday and my whole immediate family is going plus anyone else who wants to...so the list is growing! I was pleased to see that many others are planning ahead like me! When I bring it up, sometimes people say... but it's a year away and it makes me think that I shouldn't be even thinking about it yet! But I can't help it!

Anyway, if you see my name appear from time to time you will now know who I am! :D

Hi Ruthann

How many do you have going on the cruise?

Welcome to Cruise Critic Ruthann!

You'll find a lot of support and information here and it will help you get through the next year and all the planning.

It sounds like a terrific family cruise! What kind of stateroom(s) did you book for your immediate family? Are the extended family members selecting rooms nearby? We did the same thing last year on the Legend.

"Outsiders" won't understand your enthusiasm or need to talk about the cruise, but we will!

Janet

Welcome! What a great start to cruising - the Dream! Brand new ship - can't go wrong. Check out the ports of call you will be visiting for ideas on what to do, and check the roll call board to see others sailing with you. People are usually patient on these boards - we have all been "newbies" at one time or another. Enjoy researching the ship/itinerary - we are here to help!

Hello Ruthann!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and God love ya' for your enthusiasm!!! I can tell you're already hooked and haven't even set foot on a cruise ship!!! How excellent for you!!

You set the bar high booking your first cruise on the Dream but I think it was a good move! The ship is BRILLIANT and certainly won't disappoint.

A cruise is more than a vacation... it's an event and it takes time to plan... time to learn... time to question to make sure that you have the best and most memorable experience possible.

That's why we're here... to answer those questions... calm those nerves... allay those fears and help you to have the most amazing vacation experience of your life.

Come back and come back often! Ask questions, no matter how silly they may seem to you! We've all asked them before.

Welcome to the family and welcome to our addiction!!!

:D

Mach

As it has already been mentioned, most of the more experienced posters on this board are friendly, supportive and knowledgeable. Although you might encounter a stray, not so pleasant poster from time to time. Ignore them and don't worry about justifying yourself to them, they aren't worth the time.

Now, read...post...ask questions. Have fun.

Welcome, Ruth Ann to our crazy addiction. The CC is fantastic and check it all out. If you go to East Coast departures and then Florida you can check out what people are saying about various hotels and places to eat. That is so much fun. The anticipation is so much fun so enjoy every minute of it.

We are going on the CC group cruise on the 20 of Feb 2010 so we shall give a review and let you know how that brand new Dream is.

Welcome, and as a relative "newbie" myself (only been here for 6 months) this board is a great help for everything related to your cruise.

Suggestions would be to read, read, read. There is so much information here that it may take you the year to read it all:D

This board was instrumental in helping me to plan my last cruise, and answered every question we had - don't be afraid to ask, no stupid questions here.

Also, you'll love the roll call board - I am more than 5 months out, but I have 14 friends on the ship already and more joining. It's great to get to know your fellow passengers prior to boarding, and a meet n greet on board makes it that much more fun.

I'm sure you'll love cruising and this board. Glad you decided to join us.

Welcome!! A warning... Be prepared to become addicted to cruising as well as addicted to cruise critic!! It quicky becomes an addiction.

Hi! My name is Toni and I'm a cruise/cruise critic addict. Its been 2 months since my last cruise!! (ugh I have 56 more days until my next one!):D

It is unbelievable the amount of information and help you can get from all the helpful people on this board. Feel free to ask!

...most people on these boards are very helpful..but like somebody said there are some goofs...also be aware that people with something bad to say about a ship, port, food item etc are more likely to say it...bad experience generates more of a need to share than a good one....

only pointing this out to temper what you may read. food quality has gone down on cruises...but its still good...cost of cruising has dropped in real terms so given relative terms even with low inflation its a very good value

not sure how things are in the east but our local travel agents cannot touch the prices offered by the big cruise agents like the ones that advertise here. rules don't allow me to post names but pick up a cruise magazine and check out the full page ads...go online to check these ones out. normally at least 40% off what I can get from a local operator.

local deals with air included can be a decent deal though.

so welcome to the world of cruising

Always glad to welcome a fellow Canuck! Hey, its less than a year away. Time to start planning. Looking ahead to see where you're stopping and what you're going to do. That's half the fun. And hey, when that crappy weather shows up in November you can smile away to yourself. This board is a valuable resource and believe me, there is no stupid question; so ask away.

When we were planning our first cruise and I joined cc, someone posted that it may be our first cruise but that it certainly wouldn't be our last. And, that person was absolutely right! We started planning our second cruise in April 2008 and it seemed so far away. And now it's only 2 weeks to go.:D Reading up about your ship and ports of call really helps make the time go by. Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on your first cruise!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Gosh, I thought I would check to see if anyone responded yet...and look at all the responses! So far we have 13 family signed up, but like I said the invitation is only a week old, so I am hoping that more will come if we are all going! My sister found the cruise and the pricing, so I have relied on her for that! I think we did pretty well for 2 adults and 3 kids. We (the 5 of us) have 2 rooms across one another. One has bunks in it apparently. That gave us a little more space...and beds! I believe we are on the 4D level???? Other family members are on the same level but not necessarily next door. So much to learn.....by my oldest ds was soooooo excited when he saw the waterslide on the ship!

Thanks for all the responses! I will keep reading!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Gosh, I thought I would check to see if anyone responded yet...and look at all the responses! So far we have 13 family signed up, but like I said the invitation is only a week old, so I am hoping that more will come if we are all going! My sister found the cruise and the pricing, so I have relied on her for that! I think we did pretty well for 2 adults and 3 kids. We (the 5 of us) have 2 rooms across one another. One has bunks in it apparently. That gave us a little more space...and beds! I believe we are on the 4D level???? Other family members are on the same level but not necessarily next door. So much to learn.....by my oldest ds was soooooo excited when he saw the waterslide on the ship!

Thanks for all the responses! I will keep reading!

You'll be amazed at what the Dream has to offer!!

You'll want to visit John Heald's blog thingy... John is Carnival's senior cruise director and Brand Amabassador. He'll be visiting the Dream at the Fincantieri ship yards in Italy soon. He'll be posting pictures and videos from the ship.

You can find the blog here:

www.johnhealdsblog.com

He's a great guy, a dear friend and a wonderful wit!!!

:)

Welcome Ruthann! My family of four booked our first cruise just over a year ago, thinking it would be a once in a lifetime thing. Yep, we're sailing again this summer because the first trip was addicting.

Everyone above has given good advice - ask questions as often as you need to, because you'll get a variety of opinions and can make some informed choices. The more you read, the better feel you will get, because some will rave and others will gripe. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

My custom piece of information is to keep an open mind and a positive attitude. Some people build unrealistic expectations, and then are disappointed when things aren't EXACTLY what they imagined (think bridezilla). We expected to have a good time, but not have exactly our every wish. Guess what - we got pretty much everything we wished for! We had a wonderful family experience and can't think of anything to complain about.

So grab a cup of your favorite beverage, your computer mouse, and start reading. Most of what you want to know is already here, and if you don't see it, just ask!

Hi RuthAnn

Welcome to CC as you have Heard the Dream is the Newest Ship in the Fleet ..in fact it is not even finished yet...So information on the Dream is slim so far...But Her sister ship is the Splendor so if you read up on her, you can get some good useful information that you can use on your Cruise...or atleast until The Dream starts Sailing

As other Members have said keep your expectaions low it will make your Cruise much more enjoyable That may sound wierd to you but it is true...you will be suprised at what your experience is afterwords;)

Enjoy your planning stage for me that make the time go faster and when i Board the Ship I feel like i already Know Her!:)

Welcome aboard. You will find us a friendly bunch most of the time, but like most families we do quarrel from time to time. Just curious as to where you are from in Ontario. Monday we had a first grandchild born in St. Catharines and we were there to visit her. Thought perhaps if you were in the area you could stop in and give her a big hug from her Gramie and Grampie. You would be able to find her by looking for the cutest little girl in town.

Welcome aboard. You will find us a friendly bunch most of the time, but like most families we do quarrel from time to time. Just curious as to where you are from in Ontario. Monday we had a first grandchild born in St. Catharines and we were there to visit her. Thought perhaps if you were in the area you could stop in and give her a big hug from her Gramie and Grampie. You would be able to find her by looking for the cutest little girl in town.

Sorry, I'm a few hours to the northwest of St. Catherines. Congratulations on your new granddaughter!

Archived