Can you bring a can of soda into the dining room?

holdon216

If we bring case of soda for the 12 year old would it be EXTREMELY tacky to allow him to bring a can or two into the dining room??? Would certainly be the cheaper route to go. What do you think?? Have you seen others do this??

THANKS!!!

I've never seen anyone do it, but they do bring in their own wine and sometimes beer so I guess it would be the same thing.

But wine Carnival can charge you a corkage fee, so you wouldnt feel so cheap. But bringing in your own soda because you dont want to spring for the soda card ... how about just a little tacky, not extremely. I would have my child drink milk at age 12, or chocolate milk, or even tea if I didnt want to buy the soda card, but thats me. If you feel comfortable, do it. You are the parent and footing the bill, not us.

So, chocolate milk is available in the dining rooms for dinner?? That might work. It is not the cost of the soda card. BUT, if we have case or two of soda in the room why buy MORE soda!!!

Don't buy your son a case of soda and just use the soda card.

NancyC, GOOD POINT!!! I was asking for the kid but I am unable to drink caffeinated drinks. I would be awake all night. I was going to settle for Sprite. When i so much more prefer Caffeine Free Pepsi or Coke. Why should i have to settle?

As a mom myself, we always worry about the kids having what they need and want and don't have time left to think about us. Pack a 6 pack for you too. I need my daily soda fix. My husband wouldn't be happy if he couldn't get his Bud Light.

We always bring soda into the dinning room. We bring soda with us and buy the soda card. It's too difficult for them to refill our drinks in the dinning room with the soda card, you might get one refill maybe . . . . and we love our caff. free Diet Coke so we bring it along. The wait staff always provided us with cups of ice and I never felt it was tacky.

I'm a pretty "follow-the-rules" kinda gal and don't like to stick out at all. Hubby wears a nice suit on formal night, etc. so, it's not like I'm willing to buck anything to save a few pennies . . . .but the can in the dining room was fine in my opinion.

I like to bring an insulated mug and fill up with my soda from the can and take on shore with me too. Just gives me flexibility. Some people drink coffee and others drink Diet Coke . . . . I'm a Diet Coke kinda gal.

I've been on 14 cruises and have never seen anyone bring a can of soda or beer into the dining room. I have seen people walk in with a glass of wine or a mixed drink.

I personally think it's extremely tacky. If I had to have pop with my dinner, I'd buy one. If you can't afford a coke at dinner, you can't afford to be cruising.

If we bring case of soda for the 12 year old would it be EXTREMELY tacky to allow him to bring a can or two into the dining room???

THANKS!!!

My Opinion?

Yes, it would be tacky.

Do you do this when you go out for dinner at home?

I remember my Pops used to own a garage back in the day. People would bring in their own motor oil and filter and ask him to change the oil in their car. He'd look at them and ask " Do you bring your own bacon and eggs to the restraunt and ask the cook to fry them up for you?"

Our tablemate did it most evenings - she was a diet pepsi drinker (not available on the ship) so each night she pulled a can out of her bag - and the waiters did have a glass with ice waiting for her!

I usually carried a glass of wine from my cabin to the dining room....

I've been on 14 cruises and have never seen anyone bring a can of soda or beer into the dining room. I have seen people walk in with a glass of wine or a mixed drink.

I personally think it's extremely tacky. If I had to have pop with my dinner, I'd buy one. If you can't afford a coke at dinner, you can't afford to be cruising.

I agree. Would you go to a nice restaurant and bring your own can of soda?

IMO I dont see any problem with it. If you dont want him to carry it

in himself, then just stick it in your purse. Or you can pour it into a cup

and carry it in that way...

Once your at the table, no one will know any different anyways.

And who's to say you didnt buy that soda at the bar before you walked in the DR?

It wouldn't matter to me if others thought it was tacky. Yes you can do it.

We usually purchase the soda card for our son but as others have stated it can be difficult to get refills. Only on one of al of our cruises have we had bar staff that kept him refilled without asking.

It's your vacation do what makes you happy. Carnival won't say a word and it will give all the judgemental people something to talk about!:eek:

Bring the soda in. No one cares and if they question it, tell them it's a special diet your on.;) If the cruise line will let you walk on the ship with soda, obviously, they know you'll be consuming it somewhere.:rolleyes:

Here's my breakdown LOL

Can you bring it in: YES

Is it tacky: depends on who you ask (to me yeah kind of)

Have you seen others do it: Personally NO

Would you buy a drink card instead: NO, not unless your kid is planning on drinking soda all day long. My kids at most would drink one in a day so it would be a total waste of $$ for us.

If we bring case of soda for the 12 year old would it be EXTREMELY tacky to allow him to bring a can or two into the dining room??? Would certainly be the cheaper route to go. What do you think?? Have you seen others do this??

THANKS!!!

I'm an adult and I plan on doing this. It's your vacation, I'm definitly bringing soda with me each night. Probably two or 3 cans or a 2 liter.

My husband is a Pepsi drinker and on our last cruise on the Sensation, he brought a can of soda with him every evening and after the first evening, our waiter just had ice in a glass waiting for us. Our table mates thought this was great, so we eneded up bringing soda for them too. (We had more than enough.) Needless to say, we gave a very gracious tip to our waiter the last evening of the cruise.

Now as far as the "Would you bring your own soda to.........?" question goes, I ask - Why is it ok to bring your own beer, wine, alcohol, water etc, but not your own soda? Would you ever take your own beer, wine, alcohol, bottled water, etc to a restaurant or bar? What is the difference? Are you telling me that everyone that brings a glass of wine into the dining room is paying a cork fee? Just my 2 cents.

Steph

Archived