Cruising with an 18 year old on RCCL

Bobal

We're about to sail on Explorer of the Seas and thought about booking up another trip for next Easter whilst we're on there. However, by that time my son will have turned 18 in December. He has a brother who will be 16 at the time and they've really enjoyed the teen club in the past but he'll be too old at 18 :confused:

Has anyone had experience of kids who are just over 18 being allowed into the teen club. I know we'll be sailing at a busy time of year so there will be other late teens onboard but I think he'd like to hang out with his brother.

This really could be the clincher as to whether we book or not as I don't want him to be stuck without stuff to do (in the evenings really) and I'm sure he won't want to hang around with mum & dad every evening. What a shame they don't seem to cater for this in-between age group.

Well if booking depends on whether he'll be allowed in or not, then I wouldn't take the chance and book.

There have been some here that have said that RCCL DID allow their 18 year old in (with a high school ID). But there have been just as many that have said that their 18 year old was denied entry.

So if that makes or breaks your trip, then I wouldn't risk it.

I would not book this cruise if him getting into the teen club is a must. It is unlikely they will allow your 18 year old into the teen clubs especially on an Easter sailing which will have a large amount of kids. The times I've heard of them allowing 18 year olds into the clubs have been on less popular cruises.

My son is also 18 and has loved the teen areas in the past too. We have sailed the Mariner the last two Junes. In 2007, they did not allow 18 years olds into the teen area but in 2008, they did. There were almost 800 kids on the ship last year, with almost 300 between 15-17 so it was a pretty popular time. Now that he is 18, I am hesitant to book our normal week in June unless I also bring one of his friends with us. Last year, he did hang out with a group of 18 yr olds but they were allowed into the living room and Fuel.

I don't think any cruise line really addresses this age group. I have been reading some on the NCL and Carnival forums to see if either of those lines might be a better fit for the next few years but haven't found anything as of yet.

We are cruising on Carnival this June with the same situation. Older son is 18, and younger brother 16. I too had some concerns about how much they will be able to enjoy together, as they do like hanging out together, but they agreed that it wasn't going to stop us from going! :)

I've experienced this first hand! My brother and I are extremely close and we're two years apart. I hated the fact that I couldn't go dancing or have a place to hang out with him at night. I attempted to get into the Carnival Teen Club and explained my situation and she told me I wasn't allowed. There weren't that many teens and I certainly look their age haha They really need to address the college aged kids!

Just off the Carnival Freedom. My 18 year old son (still in high school) was not allowed in the O2 club, even after a one on one conversation with the director. Each kid had to fill out form, so if he had just put down 17, he would have gotten in. The funny thing is....a couple of times during the week, he just walked in and no one stopped him. At one point they even asked him if he wanted something to eat.

Archived