Booked Royal Caribbean--- but why???

SCUBADOO414

Hi All,

First of all, I'm new to cruising.

Secondly, I've spent the majority of my time on the Royal Caribbean boards mainly because I booked a February 2010 cruise on Freedom of the Seas.

We have a family of six; two adults and four children (under the age of 12). For the 7 day cruise we have booked, we're paying $5000 for two connecting inside staterooms (mid-ship/deck 9). I've been doing some research into Carnival's pricing and found it to be considerably less money!

I guess what I'd like to know is WHY? Since I haven't been on either line, can anyone explain why I would want to spend $1200 more (for nearly the same intinerary) with RC than Carnival???

Thank you for any input you can provide.

Signed,

Thoroughly Confused :confused:

I'm curious about the reason for such a drastic price difference, too. I thought RCCL was great, very nice, but so was Carnival. I know Carnival has a reputation for being less elite and more of a college kid party crowd, but that didn't seem to be the case, even on the Sensation.

I'm curious about the reason for such a drastic price difference, too. I thought RCCL was great, very nice, but so was Carnival. I know Carnival has a reputation for being less elite and more of a college kid party crowd, but that didn't seem to be the case, even on the Sensation.

I don't know, I'm looking at the Liberty on 2/27/10 and the itinerary is nearly identical to RC.

The only difference I'm noticing outright is the deposit amount. With RC we signed up during a 1/2 price deposit promotion and only put down $750 versus $1500 with Carnival. Otherwise, Carnival will offer price decreases if the price drops in your category... I'm baffled. And I'm a thinkin' we should be switching our reservation to Carnival! ;)

I don't know, I'm looking at the Liberty on 2/27/10 and the itinerary is nearly identical to RC.

The only difference I'm noticing outright is the deposit amount. With RC we signed up during a 1/2 price deposit promotion and only put down $750 versus $1500 with Carnival. Otherwise, Carnival will offer price decreases if the price drops in your category... I'm baffled. And I'm a thinkin' we should be switching our reservation to Carnival! ;)

It seems like the new early saver rates are making many people have these same questions.

We sailed last year with RC on the Mariner of the Seas and we had a good time, but the food wasn't so hot and the buffet was always mobbed. This year we sailed with Holland America and i wasn't impressed with the service at all. I looked at several of RC's newer ships for next February and their pricing is outrageous. We noticed the Carnival Dream which will be out in February and my kids were excited about the waterslides and big screen tv on deck, so we sail what the heck and booked it for February 2010. Saved a lot of money compared to RC. I didn't want to ice skate anyways:D

Karen

Hi All,

First of all, I'm new to cruising.

Secondly, I've spent the majority of my time on the Royal Caribbean boards mainly because I booked a February 2010 cruise on Freedom of the Seas.

We have a family of six; two adults and four children (under the age of 12). For the 7 day cruise we have booked, we're paying $5000 for two connecting inside staterooms (mid-ship/deck 9). I've been doing some research into Carnival's pricing and found it to be considerably less money!

I guess what I'd like to know is WHY? Since I haven't been on either line, can anyone explain why I would want to spend $1200 more (for nearly the same intinerary) with RC than Carnival???

Thank you for any input you can provide.

Signed,

Thoroughly Confused :confused:

I have honestly not found the answer to "why" most of the prices are so considerably different. I have sailed three different classes of ship with RCI, and only on this last one was I able to say I really enjoyed it. The ship was beautiful, but not so much so that I would spend $1200 extra to see it.

I still think that Carnival provides a better dining experience, FAR better entertainment, more daily activities that are included, better bedding for a good nights sleep, much more comfortable cabins, and in my/our opinion better personalized service. We just wish we could take everything about Carnival, and put it on a Voyager class ship... we would be VERY happy!

Feedom of the seas is a awesome ship with things that teens would want to do. Since your children are under the age of 12, they might not want to ice skate or climb rock walls.

I cruise both lines, and like them both, but I tend to do last minute with RCL because those prices are better than booking early. With Carnival I book in advance, because to me those prices are early.

I pay about the same for either, my upcoming Sept Crazies date cruise will be more than Im paying for Voyager. I shop around and wait for my price.

Maybe you should look at prices and shop around some more so you dont have regrets later that you overpaid.

First if you are looking at Early Saver rates, read up on them, they have much stricter rules like non-refundable deposit.

Second, the Royal Caribbean ships are magnificent and that is the reason that so many will pay a premium for their cruises with them.

With that said, Carnival is a great vacation, with great food and service. Royal Caribbean offers pretty much the same product on prettier ships with more bells and whistles. The Royal Caribbean ships have things like ice skating low rider and rock climbing. Carnival ships offer big water slides and on many ships a seaside movie screen.

For us, we don't use all of the bells and whistles that Royal Caribbean offers, so for us the two cruise lines offer pretty much the same product with ships that are decorated differently. Carnival has been winning on price for us, and we like the product.

The only difference IMO between Carnival and RCI is the flowrider, ice skating rink, and rock climbing wall. I don't use any of these. Since I like Carnival's food and service better I stick with Carnival.

Since my kids are so young, they probably won't use any of these either!

Do you know off hand if there is mini-golf on the Liberty? They can do that!

It seems like the new early saver rates are making many people have these same questions.

I'm not looking at EARLY SAVER RATES! I need the option to cancel in an emergency, therefore am steering clear of that promotion... the $1200 I was referring to is their 'Fun Select' rate. :D

I have honestly not found the answer to "why" most of the prices are so considerably different. I have sailed three different classes of ship with RCI, and only on this last one was I able to say I really enjoyed it. The ship was beautiful, but not so much so that I would spend $1200 extra to see it.

I still think that Carnival provides a better dining experience, FAR better entertainment, more daily activities that are included, better bedding for a good nights sleep, much more comfortable cabins, and in my/our opinion better personalized service. We just wish we could take everything about Carnival, and put it on a Voyager class ship... we would be VERY happy!

You're absolutely correct about what Carnival offers that RCI doesn't. We were on the Grandeur in November for a 10-day, and it wasn't so grand for exactly the reasons that are in your comments. We were bored (not enough activities, and the lounges were dead at 9:30 at night), and the food just wasn't very good (even the Loyal Royals at our table were not happy with the food). The service was great, but so is Carnival's. We recently cancelled our Jewel of the Seas cruise in November and switched to the Splendor in October, and we saved $2,600 (Splendor is a shorter cruise, but $2,600 is a HUGE savings). We don't plan to go back to RCI ever-it just wasn't the FUN SHIP.

I think a lot of Carnival ships have mini golf now. That would be fun thing to do and everyone in the family can participate.

As far as RCI goes yes they are higher. I have no clue why as both lines are pretty equal.

I am not sure what type of replies you are getting over on the RCI board if you have indeed posted this question there but keep in mind some of those people are paid spokesmen. The answers you get there may be none to pleasent regarding Carnival and some are outright lies. :( (thats a whole other can of worms)

Bottom line do what your gut and pocket book tell you to do.

Either way you will have a good time!

I think a lot of Carnival ships have mini golf now. That would be fun thing to do and everyone in the family can participate.

As far as RCI goes yes they are higher. I have no clue why as both lines are pretty equal.

I am not sure what type of replies you are getting over on the RCI board if you have indeed posted this question there but keep in mind some of those people are paid spokesmen. The answers you get there may be none to pleasent regarding Carnival and some are outright lies. :( (thats a whole other can of worms)

Bottom line do what your gut and pocket book tell you to do.

Either way you will have a good time!

For that very reason I am not posting this over there. However' date=' what made me even [b']consider[/b] this is another poster who indicated they would save A TON by switching cruiselines. Thus, my Carnival search insued. Now, here I sit, wondering if I bother my TA... to ask her to search rates for Carnival! :rolleyes:

Yes, Liberty has mini-golf. It's on the funnel deck.

I am not sure what type of replies you are getting over on the RCI board if you have indeed posted this question there but keep in mind some of those people are paid spokesmen.

Quit with the paid spokesman business. You know the threads about this were closed for a good reason. Lets not go there?? Good way to get this thread deleted by making accusations.

My only other comment is about the bedding, why are some like me getting hard bedding, like I had on Ecstasy last January. I had great bedding on Conquest. my PVP doesnt know why the comments lately about the hard mattresses, same as RCL, so no dif there.

For that very reason I am not posting this over there. However, what made me even consider this is another poster who indicated they would save A TON by switching cruiselines. Thus, my Carnival search insued. Now, here I sit, wondering if I bother my TA... to ask her to search rates for Carnival! :rolleyes:

why not search them for yourself, its easy. Figure out how many in a cabin and plug it in on either Carnival's site or some online TA site. That why you can see which rates are the best buy in front of you.

I have sailed Carnival twice, Disney once, and RCI once. Before I did RCI, everyone told me that once you do RCI, you will never want to do Carnival.

I cannot disagree with that more. Carnival has just as good food as RCI. In fact, I thought the Carnival buffet was better than RCI buffet. Main Dining (MD) room food are equivalent. I have never eaten at the supper club with Carnival, but I have with both Disney and RCI. The food in those places are much better than MD food. I was impressed with RCI's MD breakfast and lunch. I do not recall the MD food at lunch or breakfast being anything to write home about.

As to the activities, I treat the cruise as a time to relax. On my carnival cruise in '05, I played with my Sony PSP during a lot of free time (I had just opened my office and I needed the vacation to decompress). On this past cruise, I brought my PSP, but I read most of the time. For me, that is relaxation.

The ice show on RCI was unbelievable as was the quest. I am not sure that justifies RCI, but they are great.

I did not do the flowrider, and we ran out of time to do golf.

I presently have a cruise booked with RCI and will be officially booking a cruise out of Baltimore on Carnival next week. I am just waiting for the date before I add it to the list below.

Personally, I would book for price, especially since you have a family to think about.

why not search them for yourself, its easy. Figure out how many in a cabin and plug it in on either Carnival's site or some online TA site. That why you can see which rates are the best buy in front of you.

I have been doing that... all afternoon now. But, since I don't know how to look for specific location, I can't get exact pricing. Close enough though to consider switching.

I have been doing that... all afternoon now. But, since I don't know how to look for specific location, I can't get exact pricing. Close enough though to consider switching.

Well, since we cant post TA sites, I guess we cant tell you how to see empty cabins, but if we can make general suggestions on cabins and info, let us know.

Archived