RCCL vs Princess - Same Basic Itinerary, Different Prices!

This is why I'm glad that Carnival Corporation was able to buy Princess even though initially it was supposed to be RCI who took it over. Let's face it, CCL might have Joe Farcus and his eclectic décor on their Fun ships...they also seem to have an excellent business sense. They've successfully overseen several cruiselines within their corporation, each with its own style and demographics. Two thumbs up!

You want to talk about some other big differences.I became a travel agent last year and I did a ton of online training. I became a RCCL Expert Plus on RCL and

they sent me a certificate and a magnet. I took a similar online course (about 40 hours of work on each) on Princess and became a Commodore. They gave me Elite Status and a free Graduation cruise that I have yet to take because we are too busy.

There is one thing wrong with comparing Princess with RCI and that is in the balcony cabins. Princess balcony cabins (I've been on 6 Princess cruises with balconies) have no sitting area. There was one small club chair in the corner by the "desk". I really don't like the small cabin and having to sit on the bed! So, for me to compare Princess cabins to RCI cabins means I have to move up to a mini-suite on Princess. I have yet to see a mini-suite for less than a balcony (with my Diamond discount) on RCI. If I could find one with and itinerary I liked, I wouldn't hesitate to sail Princess again.

I'm happier that my Princess Caribe deck balcony is twice the size of a balcony on RCI and very easy and affordable to get. There is definitely a chair on the Princess room, just not a love seat until you move up to a mini suite.

As a disgruntled Diamond-level citizen of the Nation of Why Not who is now banned from the Concierge Lounge, I'm sitting on a couple of B2B reservations for a South Seas cruise from Sydney to the States:

26 nights, balcony, $5098 per person, or $196 pp per night. Pay for laundry, pay for internet, pay for every drink everywhere, have my wine confiscated for my safety, confiscate my iron for my safety, banned from the Concierge Lounge, OBCs are per stateroom and not combinable

I checked with Princess for a similar intinerary. Here's what I found:

30 nights, balcony, $5195 per person, or $173 pp per night. On Princess there are several laundromats with irons and ironing boards on each deck, multiple shows each evening to choose from, free internet packages, free mini-bar in the stateroom, free pub-style lunch in the bar (think Schooner Bar) on sea days, free fruit plate delivered each afternoon, I can take some wine on-board if I want, OBCs are per person and combinable.

I'm asking myself Why Not move my booking over to Princess?

Fresh Water Pools on Princess too. Generally Bottled wine prices are lower.

I like both lines and if I were you would take the Princess Cruise assuming ships were compareable too.

Which Princess ships are similar to the RCCL Radiance class?

Emerald Princess & Caribbean Princess are very similar in size and features. Golden, Star, etc are also same size. Fresh water in all the pools, International Cafe is great, Vines is a nice spot too but you have to pay a nominal charge for the fresh Suchi ($1 a piece) and is a great place for a nice glass of wine. Adagio Bar is a wonderful, quiet spot for a pre dinner drink. Etc, Etc

Archived