Who is leaving Royal, and who left, and came back

We were on the April 26th Mariner, the cruise to nowhere. It was supposed to be a warm weather cruise, but diverted to SF where it was cold and rainy, and so was the ship. Nothing but repeat entertainment for 2nd half of the week. Only a handful of seats to see the comedians out of 3000+ passengers, same with the ice shows. We didn't get our money's worth. RCI is loyal to the $$$$, not it's passengers. Princess has treated us better. We will also try Crystal, Carnival, NCL, and others. RCI is now in last place.

I love RCI--but I'm not committed to them, and dislike their high prices.

Very well said.

I've been checking pricing/itineraries for a 2010 or 2011 cruise. Considering a NCL cruise. Never been on them, but the itinerary looks better than RCCL for similar price. I also looked at the itinerary for the Carnival Dream vs Oasis of the Seas. Very similar itinerary, but the Dream would be about $1000 less for our family of 4.

We are diamond on RCI, started cruising them in 1981 and for years the only thing we got for being a C&A member was a repeaters party. When the perks started it was icing on the cake, but we still cruised other lines due to price or itinerary and usually enjoyed the experience. Over the last two years we have cruised RCI 1, Princess 4, Celebrity 1, Carnival 1, and HAL 1, so I guess you can say we have left RCI. We are coming back for a two week RCI cruise in the fall but that is driven by the itinerary, otherwise we would be cruising another line. RCI has pretty much lost us.

My husband and I are leaving on our 45th cruise with RCI the end of the month. I have three more cruises booked (subject to cancellation). Now I am also looking at other lines. When I started checking the new itineraries I couldn't believe that the only ships going to the Eastern Caribbean were the mega ships and everything else was Western Caribbean. No smaller ships leaving from Florida going to the Eastern Caribbean at all. And, as has been said before, it's the same old, same old ports. We like the Radiance class ships and don't care for ships as big as the voyager class so RCI is not leaving us much of a choice. I would like to go to some smaller islands and obviously RCI isn't going to be the way to do it. I wish them well with their new big ships but personally think it was a big mistake. If I want that kind of entertainment I would book a land based vacation - not a cruise. I want to see more interesting ports, not spend the day playing at sea.

I'm also not happy with the loss of combinability of their benefits. We are Diamond Plus, have the Visa card and are shareholders. A lot of good it does us now. I've been receiving tons of mail and emails from Princess and Regent Seven Seas so plan on making a switch in the near future. The prices definitely are a lot cheaper than what RCI is posting. Even Seven Seas offers 2 for 1, free airfare, etc. and all inclusive bar and food with no extra charges.

We started cruising almost 11 years ago and have cruised 17 times now on 7 different lines. We will consider other lines in the future...why not ;) ?

That we have cruised more on RCI is more logistical than anything else, we live within an hour of the Port of Los Angeles and Monarch was here. If there had been any other choices for short cruises other than Carnival, we probably would have tried them as well.

The perks from C & A don't mean a whole lot to us. We do get the balcony discount which is nice and we've used a couple of coupons. We've attended the C & A parties and those were nice. But...we've also been on RCI cruises where we had that available to us and chose not to go.

We'll continue to sail RCI and any other cruise line we feel like cruising, we don't feel the need to be loyal or limit ourselves, it's our money to spend where we want.

When we first started cruising, a few years back, we tried several different lines, no reason at that time to stay loyal to any one. But then we listened to others and found out all the perks that you could combine and it was a no brainer to stay with Royal. We quickly moved up to Platuim and the perks got better, then on to Diamond and "Life was Good!"

Well, "Life" ain't so good any more............ So yes, we will start to shop around for the best deals. Can't find any reason to pay the higher fares on Royal. We have 2 up coming cruises, that were Grand-fathered into combined credits, but after that - Any Line, any Ship....

I was actually considering a Carnival cruise for February 2011. It will be a cruise in honor of my son's graduation and he has only cruised on Carnival and therefore thinks it best.

Then, Royal Caribbean announced it's early 2011 cruises and we chose one that is considerably less expensive than the Carnival cruise on our short list - even comparing the early-booking discounted price.

Yes, RCL's newer ships are $$$$$$$, but if you stick to the Voyager or Radiance class, the prices - in my recent research - are BETTER than Carnival.

I believe we'll book the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan. And before you jump all over me about the air fare being more to San Juan than Florida, I took that into consideration. The cruise is still considerably less expensive.

I was looking at a school break week, and perhaps Carnival attaches a bigger premium to those weeks. Maybe the savings would be less pronounced had I looked at less popular weeks. I don't know. But I'm beginning to believe that all the griping about Royal's high prices is a bit exaggerated.

I love my RCL experiences. While I wouldn't rule out another cruise line, I have not been convinced to switch yet!

We are definitely not loyal to RCL - in fact, I do not think we will be back. We have sailed on Carnival, RCL and Princess and Princess is our favorite by far. They have the best past passenger perks and although their ships may not have the WOW factor everyone talks about on RCL - to us, cruising is so much more than the WOW factor. That does not make you the best - it makes you different. We love the service, itineraries and pricing on Princess and will stay with them or Carnival - but no longer Royal Caribbean. The last cruise we had in March on the Independence showed how much their service has declined - we had a fantastic cruise, but the service, food and entertainment was nothing compared to others. It would take a lot to have us come back - we will continue to cruise but on other lines.

My husband and I have only cruised RCCL. This November we are switching over to Princess because they were the only line going to the Eastern Caribbean the week of our Anniversary. I have also been researching two more cruises for 2010 and find that Princess and Carnival prices $1,000-$1,500 cheaper. I think it's time to start exploring other lines.

I feel from a business standpoint that this is one of the stupidest things a company could do. Alienate your best customers who cruise 2-3 times per year and send them elsewhere. Great concept!

You hit the nail on the head!

RCCL must have some REALLY bad management making some REALLY bad decisions! We are done with them, unless they can raise their standards to where they used to be or at least stop lying about why they are making policy changes. We used to enjoy sailing RCCL but saw a steady and swift decline each time we sailed them. I wrote them after each cruise to let them know and all I got back was a standard reply that "We're sorry. Everyone has different tastes". It was an insulting response, really. They had no intentions whatsoever to actually improve customer satisfaction.

When the new "perk" changes were announced I wrote them for the last time and told them once again the truth. I also told them I would respect them a lot more if they would just own up to the truth of the matter that they are cutting costs instead of the constant lies and that I would not sail them again until they make suitable changes.

I asked them not to insult me with their standard nonsense reply. Instead a "customer service" person called me to "discuss" my letter. It was just more RCCL rhetoric. She actually became a little indignant with me and I told her "I did not ask you to contact me. You called me, I did not call you. In fact, I asked you NOT to contact me".

Just once I wish RCCL would tell the truth on anything!

I won't bore you with all the details of how RCCL has declined over time. You already know all that.

We won't go back to RCCL unless there are some drastic changes.

We did sail Carnival for the first time in 10+ years and were extremely pleased with the changes we have seen in them over time. Better decor, better food, price, service, etc. We will explore cruising on other lines in the future.

There are other options out there!!!!

It's such a shame RCCL had to ruin things by neglecting their greatest asset - their customers. For now, I say "GOODBYE ROYAL!" and good luck filling all those cabins on those new ships.

While RCI has a great product and we truly enjoy all it has to offer, we can't resist a bargain and its allowed us to experience sailing many different lines. We're of the belief that the worse day at sea is still better than the best ones on land:p

After 8 cruises with RCCL (and only RCCl) i am going on CCL this coming January.

Main reason, price followed by port's as a close second. Royal's itin's just are not all that appealing for the high price they charge.

I would absolutely pay more IF the product was better, but I dont feel that it will be or is worth the price difference.

Never thought I would stray, but RCCL made me do it!

Originally Posted by lovetocruise99 viewpost.gif

I feel from a business standpoint that this is one of the stupidest things a company could do. Alienate your best customers who cruise 2-3 times per year and send them elsewhere. Great concept!

You hit the nail on the head!

Ladylouwho uh uh, does this mean you agree with lovetocruise99? :D

OK, I know it does. Yes, I, you, and others have posted this thought on other threads many times. RC management has been making suboptimal decisions, apparently looking forward only to the next quarter earnings. The straw which apparently "broke the camel's back" was the elimination of Concierge Lounge benefits for diamond members. My opinion, and many other's, on this has been that RC management saved only minor costs at the expense of major losses of bookings. The validity of this opinion seems to be verified by many posts on this and other threads about changes from Royal Caribbean to other lines.

As stated before, my primary interest is related to my stock holdings, somewhat more than the usual 100 shares.

Since I am not referring to any individual, I believe I am at liberty to post the following. It will not surprise me to see subsequent posts here from idiots who say such as "Boo Hoo, or Crybaby" or other stupid remarks in response to our intelligent questioning of RC management decisions. But I hope these remarks are not forthcoming.

Bob :cool:

Originally Posted by lovetocruise99 viewpost.gif

Ladylouwho uh uh, does this mean you agree with lovetocruise99? :D

OK, I know it does. Yes, I, you, and others have posted this thought on other threads many times. RC management has been making suboptimal decisions, apparently looking forward only to the next quarter earnings. The straw which apparently "broke the camel's back" was the elimination of Concierge Lounge benefits for diamond members. My opinion, and many other's, on this has been that RC management saved only minor costs at the expense of major losses of bookings. The validity of this opinion seems to be verified by many posts on this and other threads about changes from Royal Caribbean to other lines.

As stated before, my primary interest is related to my stock holdings, somewhat more than the usual 100 shares.

Since I am not referring to any individual, I believe I am at liberty to post the following. It will not surprise me to see subsequent posts here from idiots who say such as "Boo Hoo, or Crybaby" or other stupid remarks in response to our intelligent questioning of RC management decisions. But I hope these remarks are not forthcoming.

Hi Bob,

As usual, you call things as they are. You are articulate and to the point. I just gotta say, "You are the Man!"

LOL!

Great seeing you on the boards. Hope all is well.

Colleen

The "passion" we once had for RCCL is gone. That might be a good thing, who knows. We still love the people who work on the ships.... "they" are tasked with delivering the "WOW"... no matter what Corporate dictates. We are frequent cruisers and the changes have impacted us to the tune of several hundred dollars each cruise.... and with the number of cruises we do, it adds up pretty fast.

I booked a Carnival cruise for December 2009 to save $$ so I could afford to book Oasis for next December 2010. Well, after spending several weeks reading posts in the Carnival forum I started to think maybe that was not such a great idea. :confused: Then yesterday I received the C&A mag with the coupons. I saw the Explorer 9-day, did some math and with the Diamond discount, no airfair and no transfers, the price turns out to be just about the same as the 7-day Carnival cruise. So to me that's a no brainer! :D The Carnival experiment will just have to wait for more desperate times. ;)

I know this will not sit well with some of you (not that I care), but it amazes me that so many RCI complainers are threatening Carnival as an alternative. Sorry, but I just don't see the connection. I have been on several Carnival cruises and found the atmosphere to be vastly different than RCI (not for the better). I am a firm believer that I got what I paid for on those cruises, including the company on board.

Princess, I can understand. But Carnival? Well, go ahead. You'll be back.

JMO, of course.

Hi Bob,

As usual, you call things as they are. You are articulate and to the point. I just gotta say, "You are the Man!"

LOL!

Great seeing you on the boards. Hope all is well.

Colleen

Colleen, thank you for the compliment. With age comes wisdom. ;) Oh no, I don't mean that you have no wisdom. You have a lot of wisdom, but not a lot of age. :D Gee, I hope that gets me out of trouble. :rolleyes:

Yes we are fine, well usually. We don't know when we'll cruise again, but if we do, it would be great to meet such an excellent judge of intelligence and ability as you.:D

I have purchased enough additional AA miles so that we can fly Business Class again to Japan on JAL. That, including a side trip to Seoul, Korea, may be our next trip.

My best to you.

I got off the Mariner a month ago, my first RCI cruise. I always wanted to try one their Voyager class ships.

While there some fun things to do-- ice skating show and Royal Promenade parades, overall I still prefer Princess. I drool over the brochures I get in the mail. One of the reasons I'm drawn to them is their connection with the sea from the inside. I feel the Mariner seems to draw more passengers inside to the promenade. It feels a bit claustrophobic to me, not having large windows along the promenade. I enjoy looking out and being able to walk right out on deck from this central area.

I imagine I would like the Radiance class ships better.

But I still prefer the food choices and quality on Princess, regardless. Carnival even beat RCI in that department--IMHO. Oh and RCI didn't have as many choices for entertainent at night in the theater and show lounges.

We are definitely not loyal to RCL - in fact, I do not think we will be back. We have sailed on Carnival, RCL and Princess and Princess is our favorite by far. They have the best past passenger perks and although their ships may not have the WOW factor everyone talks about on RCL - to us, cruising is so much more than the WOW factor. That does not make you the best - it makes you different. We love the service, itineraries and pricing on Princess and will stay with them or Carnival - but no longer Royal Caribbean. The last cruise we had in March on the Independence showed how much their service has declined - we had a fantastic cruise, but the service, food and entertainment was nothing compared to others. It would take a lot to have us come back - we will continue to cruise but on other lines.

• 1 month later...

We were thinking of straying to RCCL from Carnival. The service we recieve on Carnival has always been excellent. From what I am reading, things have really gone downhill on RCCL. If they cant take care of there Diamond members, then what could they possibly do for me?

DH & I had an OS booked on the Oasis of the Seas since 8/08. However most recently I began to wander. For the price of the OS on the Oasis of the Seas, DH & I were able to book a balcony cabin on the NCL Pearl sailing on the same date along with a B2B cruise on the NCL Epic for 12/25/10 to 1/8/11 (inclusive of a $500 OBC and exclusive access to the courtyard area aboard). Just how could one resist?

DH & I were on board the LOS in May 08 and found the dining room food to be a big dissapointment and our waitstaff was non exsistent. We prefer the many dining options that NCL has to offer. Not to mention, the NCL Epic looks amazing!

Archived