Who is leaving Royal, and who left, and came back

We're not attached to the hip of any cruise line. Our next will be on Princess, which is a second chance for them. The decision was based on price and itinerary. The only line we have tried that we would probably not go back to is NCL. Our favorite is Celebrity, and we have been on Royal several times.

I would not leave Royal.

I am backing off for a cruise on Carnival next Feb on the Splendor. DH wanted to go on a new ship from the west coast.

I am going to go on a cruise according to price, itinerary and also who else is going to be on the cruise.

Laura

havent been on royal in 5 years hubby never been on royal. we are going on the explorer because it is driving distance, the ship looks amazing,and hubby needs to try other lines other then carnival. we got a prom view cabin for 629 pp for 5 nt bermuda but we could have probably went on carnival for a 7 nt cruise including flight for only few dollars more. we will see and i am looking foward to see how he compares the two lines

Love RCL, but cruised a weekend cruise on Carnival because it was a convenient quick getaway, sailed NCL because it was a themed cruise, so had to do that, but did sign up for the next cruise option while on board. Booked Jewel for Panama, but not sure I will stick with that since they are not going thru any locks. May switch to Princess for that sailing.

Overall, RCL is the favorite so far. Fun, great ships, great crews.

I spread the wealth and am not in a fan club for just one line. I understand that getting to a certain status is important for many because of the added perks. Even now on Princess as a mere Gold member, I enjoy discounts. But that won't keep me from sailing a ship from another cruiseline. I booked the Mariner because I was excited to finally try a Voyager class ship. It just so happened to be RCI. If something else comes along from another line or even RCI, that appeals to my senses or pocketbook, I won't worry about "leaving the line I've been loyal to." I always find something I like about every ship and cruiseline I've sailed. Even on the one NCL cruise we took. :D

QUOTE=cruisingator2;18842628]I left Carnival for good back in 04 and moved to RCI. I also tried HAL and NCL within the last year and a half. I also have an NCL cruise booked for this summer but overall I prefer RCI. I will not leave for good unless they do something to affect my overall cruise enjoyment. I will also continue to step out and try other lines. The Solstice is one ship that I want to try.

o

We left Rcl a few years ago. Now we are coming back this June. We just decided to give Carnaval a try because a bunch of our friends said how great they were. So the last 5 years we have cruised 3 times on Carnaval. We enjoyed our cruises on their cruise lines. I just happened to be watching the travel channel last year when I saw the Freedom of the Seas on there. With all it had to offer, I knew we had to book it. I have sailed other lines too like NCL. We liked our cruises with them too.

We are a family of diamond members who are not cruising with RCI as often...their change in C&A policies motivated us to try the competing lines...and we have found great deals and have received "royal" treatment from these competing lines. I accept the fact that our business and those who we have referred to RCI are not as valuable to the new and you fill in the blank RCI; certainly lot's of excellent vacation/cruise choices out there!

RCI, thanks for the memories, we will waive to you when we pass on your competitor's ships!!!

We're leaving this summer because I lost my job last month and I just can't see spending $1500 more to sail RCL so we're heading to Carnival for the 1st time. Even though this summer would have made us Diamond, it doesn't mean that much anymore and it will happen eventually.

We are Diamond members with RC, and like the ships. We have strayed to other cruise lines, and have liked them all! We just LOVE to cruise. We look for itinerary, price, then cruise line when we are looking for a new cruise. They have all been great. Some are better than others, but have enjoyed each and every cruise.

We never left, we just cruise a lot and try all the different lines (although never have been on Carnival). The only line that had a better fit for us (better food) was Celebrity, but they are not in South Florida much. We switched over to Princess for a few cruises, because it was much cheaper, but did not like the service or the crowds everywhere (not well laid out) , we have been going over to HAL - better food, better prices, and less glitz, but we only tend to do them at holiday time because the clientele is way too old at other times of the year - ditto for Crystal (but that is a different price point). We stopped sailing NCL - don't like anytime dining. We have made it to the highest levels in the loyalty programs of RCL, Celebrity, and Princess (HAL does not have one worth mentioning).

RCL tends to be the priciest (although their cabins - we like the junior suites) are the nicest. We seem to have the most fun on their ships as well - possibly because we tend to cruise alone and like the companionship of the others in the Concierge or Diamond Lounge. It is a place to hang out before dinner and as we don't drink, we don't like to be constantly hassled by the cocktail staff in the bars - also, the lounges are really not set up where it is easy to talk with strangers.

We like the smaller ships - Radiance Class, but have just come back from the Independence, which we enjoyed as well.

A cruise is what you make of it - and short of a major illness or accident, I can't think of anything that would make me not enjoy myself.

i agree with you about everythigng. as i was reading your post it's as though i wrote it. my husband an i feel exactly the same way about everything.

WHEN They start treating us right,then we might consider it,but for now we have cruises set up with other lines right now,maybe next year,we are platinum,but no real incentive to cruise with them;):rolleyes:

Yes, we left, but for different reasons. We have the CC and used it for a free cruise - however we ended up with a stateroom that had NO A/C and rust dripping from the shower and out of the sink faucet - yuck! We were stuck in this dud of a stateroom because they said they had no other staterooms. On the third day we got a rickety box fan - looked awful but at least it moved the warm stuffy air. When we got home emailed Adam G and because we used our reward they could not give us any future credit because we didn't spend $$$ (except that we did upgrade to an oceanview $200 approx) so they did give us a $50 credit. That still doesn't sit well with me and then twenty months after that horrible stateroom, corporate calls regarding the comment card! Can you believe that - twenty months after the fact! Now we have a $100 OBC- we have booked Enchantment for a four day this June, but honestly I can't justify the higher costs for staterooms and now reading on the boards they aren't going to provide ice in the staterooms! Even cheap hotels have ice machines near rooms - think RCI is going to put self-serve ice machines on every deck? I fully understand cutbacks, but to me they are not doing anything to keep me loyal. Providing ice in the stateroom and having chocolates on the pillows at night are small things that make it nice. Oh well off my band wagon.

We have pretty much the last two years been on NCL and we really enjoy freestyle and oh my, the courtyard villas are fantastic! But now they've changed their rewards program so we're free to choose other lines more freely now although we won't be cruising as much as we have been.

They lost me....

I just do not like companies that go back on their commitments to people.

I am with you.

We have a B-2-B scheduled on R.C.C.L. next January with other friends

or, I would have cancelled that.

We decided NOT to cruise R.C.C.L. for our Fall '09 cruise.

R.C.C.L. has cut way back on "the R.C.C.L. cruise experience..."

we feel with all the cuts in service.

And, we have, or will notice the cuts especially, with the removal

of the CL we have been enjoying in the past.

We did cancel a September cruise because of the Diamond changes. We looked at competitors, but ended up booking another cruise with Royal, but before July 1 (which at the time, was the implementation date for the Diamond changes). Are the Diamond perks that important to us? Yes, they are.

And because of the way the changes were handled, we will now always look at all the cruise lines when picking out a cruise. For our first 22 cruises, we never looked at anyone but Royal.

Yes I traded in my RCCL cruise in June for a Carnival cruise. So I leave and come back all the time. I never stay away for long. :D

For me, the price of an ocean view on Majesty (everyone knows how small those cabins are) was more than a balcony cabin on Carnival Triumph.

Adding in the cost of flying all of us down to Miami..when the CCL cruise leaves from a port I can drive to (NYC).

It just didn't make sense for me to pay the RCCL prices THIS TIME. ;)

But I'll be back for my next cruise, I'm sure. :D

Never left, never will, never cried boo-hoo that I would. Not to say I will be exclusive to RCCL, planning a group cruise for former USAF Cops on CCL in fact for next summer because CCL is only one going out of Galveston in the summer but, I prefer RCCL and will use them when I can

Felt I needed to add to my above message. I am NOT a travel agent, I'm only a former USAF cop and the group planner.

I also am cruising with RCCL this July.

My family and I are Diamond members of RCL and started cruising in the early 1990's. We have 19 cruises on RCL but we also have many cruises on Celebrity, NCL, Holland, Princess, and Carnival. We always favored RCL over the other cruise lines, but back in the early 1990's they made you feel very special, the ships were smaller, we went to Bermuda quite often ....it was more like us all being one big family.

Prior to being Diamond members, we were still treated very well in the Gold and Platinum levels, but when we got our Diamond levels and went to the Concierge Lounge for the first time we thought we died and went to "Boat Heaven". From then on we simply cruised RCL. We saw much better deals advertised, cheaper prices, and sometimes better itineraries, but we were loyal to Royal Caribbean and stayed with them no matter what.

We watched things change year after year with RCL. We lost many perks along the lines, the food has also changed and not for the better, and the entertainment is definitely not what it use to be. And still, because of that wonderful Concierge's Lounge, that we love so much, we felt so special, not only for the free cocktails, but for a cup of coffee or cappuccino, a newspaper, some snacks, to gather with other Diamond and Diamond Plus members in our cozy lounge.

One interesting thing that always puzzled me was how the Suite Owners, who never cruised before, and some who have cruised only a few times, received the same perks for just spending a couple of hundreds of dollars more for their room, how they rated the same as the long term cruisers who have done nothing but give their loyalty to the cruise line. As we kept coming back and paying higher fares each time, RCL was building bigger ships that were, in my opinion, not needed. I believe they might be on some ego trip, but never the less, they should remember that it was on a kind of us, the Diamonds, and not the one or two cruises that the Suite owners booked.

Now that they changed everything, there is no reason in the world for me to keep my loyalty to them, which now leaves me free to do all the other cruise lines. No longer can I say how wonderful RCL is or recommend the cruise line to any of my family and friends like I have for over twenty years. There's nothing good about what has happened and nothing good about RCL anymore that would interest me to go back. :cool:

We have 3 cruises planned on RCI, so depending on how they go we will then decide if we want to shop other cruiselines or not. We are Diamond and have always loved RCI but with the recent cutbacks and changes to Suite guests we may just cruise where the price is the best. We usually do a JS or D1 because the cost of "suites" is way over priced. Time will tell....

I have not left RCCI, I think they are great. That being said, I do have my first Carnival cruise booked. I will do my own comparison.

I just became a diamond member with Royal and was looking forward to the added perks that no longer exist. :( I do still have a Royal cruise booked in November. Just about any other cruise line is less expensive.

I am not loyal to any line. They all have to fight for my hard earned dollar. Ive sailed them all and I just dont see the huge difference in any line. Whoever gives me the best offer, with the most bonuses, will see me on their ship. For me its that simple. Loyalty creates a monopoly. Then you get screwed like some are seeing today.

Well said. Since I am still researching all lines in order to book our first cruise...I can say that those who really want my $....better show me what they are willing to do for it!

There is another thread about suite perks vs regular no perk cruising. I posted on there that I appreciate any company that will give me more...for spending more.

So far NCL wins with the suite perks...but RCI seems to be closing in. We'll see. My money will go to whoever gives me more bang for my buck...as at this point I am loyal to no one.

Diana

RCL is our preferred line. We had taken a several year break from cruising and when researching this year, I looked hard at RCL and tried to make them fit our needs in that the itinerary and the price had to be right. I really wanted it to work in favor of RCL but in the end, for our Mediterranian cruise, we chose NCL - their itinerary was exactly what I was looking for and the price couldn't be beat. For less than what I would have paid on Royal in a balcony stateroom, we are in a suite with butler and conceirge service. We'll see...maybe I'll hate it and will be back looking at Royal, but the price, itinerary, and flex dining won it over for me.

I will continue to consider RCCL but I have no loyalty to them.

I am not happy with the dropping of earned perks - not combining

Plat. discount with stockholders or any other credit. Diamond lounge

-well, you know them all-. We cruise about twice a year, we have

done about all the lines except Carnival and NCL . I think cutting back

on perks for returning customers is big big mistake. I will pay a little

more to a company that has my loyalty - now I will just shop for the

best price and which islands I want to visit.

One thing that RCI did when it made what I view as major changes, was to encourage us to look more closely at all vacation options, not only cruising. We're still at the gold C&A level but have been around long enough to see the changes from our first cruise. The Brilliance was our first and was more than I could have imagined in any cruise. It was darned near perfect. Since then, it's been consistently downhill, just a bit at a time but when you take a step back and look at the whole, it isn't good. We've actually sailed Carnival more than RCI and other lines as well and after our last CCL cruise a few years ago, I swore off them vowing never to return. Now I'm not so sure. What's that expression - "Never say never"? :o

For me, the most disturbing change is that to the reserving of formerly public spaces for suite passengers. That smacks of elitism to me. Why on earth would I want to expose myself to that? The easy answer is that I don't have to.

Right now, we don't have any future vacation plans other than an automobile trip south to visit friends but after that - we'll see. I'm not committed to any line or any form of vacation. There are lots of options out there. Cruising just happens to be one of them.

2P.P1

• 3 weeks later...

Alex, you wrote:

> I am not loyal to any line. They all have to fight for my hard earned

> dollar. Ive sailed them all and I just dont see the huge difference

> in any line.

I'm with you Alex. Going on my second cruise with RCI this Fall (an Eastern Med cruise with a good itinerary), but I've sailed Norwegian before (loved it) and am looking at Carnival the next time I do a Caribbean cruise--too much of a discrepancy in price not to give it a try.

I've been on a NCL U.S-flagged / U.S.-staffed ship (Hawaii) that was reported on CC to have horrible service and liked it just fine--couldn't beat the itinerary and it was a clean ship.

It helps that I'm not "diamond," nor do I care to be. Like you suggested, there's a reason loyalty programs exist. The more time and effort people invest in these programs, the more strongly they'll defend the vendor.

That said, I love RCI--but I'm not committed to them, and dislike their high prices.

Archived