Central London Hotel recomendations

Bxc53

There's another hotel in the same building as the Marriott County Hall and I can't remember the name. Location is great and the 2nd hotel is much less expensive.

Who's got a better memory than I?

http://www.premierinn.com/pti/home.do

Reasonable by budget hotel standards but prime location - you will need to book well in advance.

My thanks. I'll keep that hotel's name in my trip notes. At the price, I am sure it does book up far in advance. The price for 'all you can eat' breakfast at 7 pounds 50 is remarkable.

All I need is a clean, safe place to stay in a reasonable location.

I am so envious. I have wanted to return at a time when I could again attend the Classical Spectacular at Royal Albert Hall (held March & November) but it just hasn't worked out. It is a wonderful production with indoor laser/fireworks, etc. and the London Philharmonic. I highly recommend it for a rousing event during your stay.

Where do you go to find out about this? We also will be in London prior to Nov 23 cruise. I am referring to a web site of course.

Thanks.

We have a number of Marriott points and want to use them for 5 nights pre-cruise. Is the Marriott - Kensington a good location convenient to get to most sights? Good place to stay?

--Barbara

The Marriott Kensington is in Earls Court a budget hotel district with most shops and services geared up for the budget traveller. Erals Court is the western 'cheap end' of Kensington. Its a purpose built block.

Its a little way out but only about 300 yards walk from Gloucester Road or Earls Court Underground. These also have direct trains to Heathrow Airport every 5 minutes. There is a full size 24x7 supermarket nearly opposite, unusual for Central London and lots of coffee shops etc in the vicinity if the charges for Marriott breakfasts are budget busting.

Harrods and the South kensington Museums are walkable but everything else requires a 15 minute Underground ride.

I don't know the Marriott points system but I'm guessing that the Regents Park site may be the same points and i personally would say has the edge in terms of location, though if you're using Heathrow its more incomvenient for the airport transfer.

handfordr, do you know of a large 'supermarket' anywhere close in the area of Kensington Palace? I like Baxter's Tomato Chutney and would love to find some. The last I found was in Kinsale, Ireland:eek:

Waitrose carry Baxters and there is one at the end of Queensway in Bayswater and another by Gloucester Road Underground. Whether they would have this partucular chutney I do not know.

Sounds like the kind of thing you'd find at Harvey Nichols Food Hall in Knightsbridge or even Harrods close by.

Google suggests that there's also another Waitrose near the junction of High Street Ken and Earls Court Road (243 High Street Ken). The one near Gloucester Road Tube isn't a particularly big one, IIRC.

There is a very big Sainsbury's a little bit further west along the Cromwell Road from Gloucester Road Tube (about 5 minutes' walk), if there's any chance that they stock it.

And there's that enormous Tesco (their "flagship" store, IIRC) on the junction of West Cromwell Road and Warwick Road, for which West Kensington Tube is probably the closest.

Thanks handfordr and globaliser. I will try those if possible. You can find tomato chutney in a lot of places but I really like Baxter's the best. We usually stay at Royal Garden (adjacent to Kens. Gardens & Palace) and it would be great to find something close by!

Thanks handfordr and globaliser. I will try those if possible. You can find tomato chutney in a lot of places but I really like Baxter's the best. We usually stay at Royal Garden (adjacent to Kens. Gardens & Palace) and it would be great to find something close by!

If you're staying at the Royal Garden the nearest Waitrose is up through Kensington High Street. Just turn right outside your hotel along Kensington High Street towards Olympia. Its about 10 minutes walk on your left on a corner site by some lights.

I suspect a visit to Harvey Nichols Food Hall might be a good idea, its the kind of old fashioned service place where if its not in stock they might make it their business to query availability.

I assume you know this product is widely available on the net on sites catering to the British ex pat community overseas.

I assume you know this product is widely available on the net on sites catering to the British ex pat community overseas.

The only place I have found it in the US in in NYC (Greenwich) and they do not ship. A lot of Baxter's products are available on the web in the US but I have never found the chutney. :(

The only place I have found it in the US in in NYC (Greenwich) and they do not ship. A lot of Baxter's products are available on the web in the US but I have never found the chutney. :(

http://www.britstore.co.uk/Condiments-Baxters-Beetroot-and-Chutney/c507_538/index.html

http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Baxters_Beetroot.html

http://www.britishfooddirect.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24_73

Archived